JL audio 6" subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JL audio 6" subs

hi, for those of you w/ the tsx already. (mine is on order) wht do you think about replacing the 6x9 rear speakers w/ some JL 6" subs? they ar 6.5 inches actually, do you think they will fit where the 6x9 goes ? or do i need to do some mods? and wht do you think about the sound?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered AssHat

I wouldn't classify a 6.6" speaker as a "sub". In fact the door speakers are full range 6.5"s. I don't see as you you gain anything. If you go subs, at least do 8".
Old 01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Burning Brakes

yea but i didnt want to add a box or anything. im just asking some questions as some ppl on audio forums told me i might want to look at some 6.5 or 6x9 subs rathering then getting some 6x9 speakers.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:37 AM
Registered AssHat

Well the 6x9's that are back there are one-way subs as it is. SInce the dorr speakers are already 6.5" full range, you get all your bass through them. The back deck is getting all the low frequencies. I would stick with 6x9's or go with a 8" free-air sub in place of the 6x9's (make a custom attachment). Obviously the 8" subs would need a separate amp.

Easiest way to upgrade is to replace the 6x9's in the back with something that has better bass response (ignore the other frequencies).

However, most people on this board have heard the best increase in sound quality by replaceing the 6.5" door speakers with Polks or Inifity 2- or 3-ways. One persopn even replaced theirs with Alpine's, but it needed a very custom install (too much speaker depth on the front doors).
Old 01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

it wont work to replace the 6x9's with subs,
1. the JL sub requires a box, they arent infinite baffel speakers
2. you will need more power than the stock amp has on tap to power them
3. you have about 1/2 the cone area as a 6x9 and therefore it will have less bass than stock.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
it wont work to replace the 6x9's with subs,
1. the JL sub requires a box, they arent infinite baffel speakers
2. you will need more power than the stock amp has on tap to power them
3. you have about 1/2 the cone area as a 6x9 and therefore it will have less bass than stock.
I went the easy route and (after extensive research) bought a pair of JBL 6x9's (I'll have to get the model number and post it later). They are 3-ways, but of course, being replacements for the stock 6x9's, they only receive the low frequencies, which is fine.

The reason I picked them is because they go down as low as 25Hz (which is actually lower than some 6" woofers), and they have a decent sensitivity rating of 92dB.

All in all, it was a cheap and easy way of cleaning up the bass... it's not "boomy" at the moment, but it is tight and much cleaner than before. Totally worth it if you don't want to go the "amp and sub" route.

If anyone likes, I will post pics of the installed speakers. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Bite my shiney metal ass.

Originally posted by dave2music
I went the easy route and (after extensive research) bought a pair of JBL 6x9's (I'll have to get the model number and post it later). They are 3-ways, but of course, being replacements for the stock 6x9's, they only receive the low frequencies, which is fine.
Was it an easy out-and-in install?
Old 01-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

well i found some 6x9 subs and i think that is a better option after doing some research. basically the tsx has 2 sets of 6.5 full range speakers already so therefore i think its impractical to get another full/mid pair of speakers. however, if you intend to add some subs then a full/mid pair of 6x9 is ok. im doing some research on car audio now as i want to upgrade my stock system when i get my tsx, which arrives in about 2 weeks.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by A4NoMore
Was it an easy out-and-in install?
Super easy! The rear covers just pop off, and the stock 6x9's just have 4 screws to take out, drop in the new speakers, attatch the wires, and screw em back in and you're set.

As a side note, I also replaced all the door speakers, and it was the BEST investment I think I've ever made.... the stock speakers are really cheap, and replacements make a HUGE world of difference! Again, if anyone is interested, I have pics also.

Thanks...
Old 01-12-2004, 07:28 PM
ABP TSX

~dave2music~

Post some pictures when you have the time.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tuan209
well i found some 6x9 subs and i think that is a better option after doing some research. basically the tsx has 2 sets of 6.5 full range speakers already so therefore i think its impractical to get another full/mid pair of speakers. however, if you intend to add some subs then a full/mid pair of 6x9 is ok. im doing some research on car audio now as i want to upgrade my stock system when i get my tsx, which arrives in about 2 weeks.
don't waste your time with 6x9 subs. you will need to add an amp to power them, as any aftermarket subs, will not function well with stock 45W amp. rather, add 1 10" box, for great pounding bass, or try upgrading the rear 6x9s with good quality 2 way 6x9s, to improve bass. if you have the money, replace the 4 door speakers with some good 3 way 6.5"s. with 6 new speakers, your system should rock, even using the stock amp.

make sure you buy speakers wiuth high sensitivity rating, this will ensure max db with stock amp.
Old 01-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

i am replacing all stock speakers as well as getting a new amp. Ive posted on many forums and did some research. the tsx already having 2 sets of full way 6.5 will not benefit much from having a mid/full 6x9 in the rear. im getting 6x9 subs b/c i dont want to add a box.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:14 PM
Cruisin'

i am replacing all stock speakers as well as getting a new amp. Ive posted on many forums and did some research. the tsx already having 2 sets of full way 6.5 will not benefit much from having a mid/full 6x9 in the rear. im getting 6x9 subs b/c i dont want to add a box.
That's exactly what I did, and everything rocks now! It's a much much cleaner and tighter sound.. .the stock speakers (once you take them out and see) are really low quality. I wound up putting JBL GTO635 6.5" in all four door speaker locations, and some great 6x9's in the back. Another poster was correct in stating that you really need to find a 6x9 with a good sensitivity rating... I wound up getting 92dB, but the best I found was 93dB... the reason I went with the 92dB is because those particular speakers went pretty low into the bottom frequencies...down to 25Hz which is of course, getting into some good low bass. 6x9's won't move as much air as a sub, but they are 1000% better than the stock 6x9's and the bass I get is quite impressive...totally totally worth it for an inexpensive simple upgrade.

I keep saying that I will post pics and I promise everyone I will...sorry for the delay!

dave2music
Old 01-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wound up putting JBL GTO635 6.5" in all four door speaker locations, and some great 6x9's in the back. dave2music
Dave2, What model 6x9 JBL did you put in the back?
Old 01-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by jlukja
Dave2, What model 6x9 JBL did you put in the back?
The model number is JBL P9632. Here is one website I found with a picture of them and the specs:

http://hypaudio.com/hypaudio/p9632.html

They sound great, and putting them in one super easy, and they just barely clear those bars in the trunk. Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 01-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Team Owner

Thanks,

I've also been toying with the idea of replacing the speakers. I've seen the threads (with pics) on how to do it and other threads on which speakers people liked. Seems like Infinity, JBL, Alpine, and Polk are the brands of choice for the doors and I've been looking for some recommendations for the rear 6x9s.

One other question, is it important to match speaker sensitivity between the door and back speakers? (i.e. 92 db in the doors would call for 92 db in the back). And if you don't match the sensitivity is it something you can overcome by adjusting the bass level on the head unit?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by jlukja
Thanks,

I've also been toying with the idea of replacing the speakers. I've seen the threads (with pics) on how to do it and other threads on which speakers people liked. Seems like Infinity, JBL, Alpine, and Polk are the brands of choice for the doors and I've been looking for some recommendations for the rear 6x9s.

One other question, is it important to match speaker sensitivity between the door and back speakers? (i.e. 92 db in the doors would call for 92 db in the back). And if you don't match the sensitivity is it something you can overcome by adjusting the bass level on the head unit?
Yeah, I got a good deal on boxing day on the JBL's, so I just went for it... polks are supposed to be great also, but they are really hard to find in Vancouver, BC.

As far as speaker sensitivity, a basic explanation is that it is a rating on how loud the speakers will play at the same volume. So a speaker rated at 92db will play louder than a speaker at 90dB when the volume knob is in the same position. It won't be a huge difference when you find ratings close together that are off by maybe 1 or 2 db...shouldn't be anything to worry about, especially since the 6x9's are only driving bass frequencies...you call always tweak it a little with the bass control off the head unit. The door speakers should probably be all the same, since some brands and models can have quite a difference in sound quality.

Some 6x9's I found were quite good were:

JBL P9632 25Hz-25KHz 92dB Sensitivity
Alpine SPS-690A 30Hz-30KHz 92dB Sensitivity
Pioneer TS-A6990R 25Hz-32KHz 93dB Sensitivity
Pioneer TS-A6960R 28Hz-28KHz 93dB Sensitivity

You really only need to pay attention to the low frequency range, and the sensitivity rating.

Anyways, hope that helps, and sorry if I rambled on too much!
Old 01-15-2004, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I would not get some full/mids for the 6x9 in the rear. Ive done some research and its NO good. for the 6x9 get some TB woofers. they r 35 bux each and are excellent speakers.

here is an excellent article on how a GOOD sound system is suppose to be. Replacing all stock speakers simply will not give u a better system. you dont have to spend as much as you think. just do a lil research!

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Phasing/Phasing.htm

as for speakers there are many good ones. personally I wouldnt get polks,jbl, apline etc....

good speakers :
CDT cl-61 -150 dollars
DEI Viper 650.2 - 140
Old 01-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Thanks

Great imput. Thanks fellas. Sorry to turn the thread into my private Q&A.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Cruisin'

I would not get some full/mids for the 6x9 in the rear. Ive done some research and its NO good. for the 6x9 get some TB woofers. they r 35 bux each and are excellent speakers.

here is an excellent article on how a GOOD sound system is suppose to be. Replacing all stock speakers simply will not give u a better system. you dont have to spend as much as you think. just do a lil research!

http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Phasing/Phasing.htm

as for speakers there are many good ones. personally I wouldnt get polks,jbl, apline etc....

good speakers :
CDT cl-61 -150 dollars
DEI Viper 650.2 - 140
Thanks for the info also...good stuff to know. Obviously there is a vast range of upgrades that could be done here. With what I have done, I am 100% happier than before with the sound quality now... it's true, there are many modifications which could be done, but a better speaker will give you better sound than a cheapo one like the stock ones. As for the 6x9's ... I would agree that a sub would be WAY better than just replacing the 6x9's as I have done... BUT... the way I did it sounds better than stock, and it was just a drop in solution which I am very happy with. If I had the money and the time, I would go with a full dual amp and sub system which of course would kick butt over what I have now..but it's a little work disconnecting the stock amp, powering the new amps, wiring it all... so .. while it would be worth the time and money, I found that my upgrades were cheap and effective enough for my tastes now.

Thanks for all the info and feedback from everyone...i keep repeating it, but pics are on the way.

dave2music
Old 01-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Bound for Europe

The model number is JBL P9632. Here is one website I found with a picture of them and the specs:

http://hypaudio.com/hypaudio/p9632.html

They sound great, and putting them in one super easy, and they just barely clear those bars in the trunk. Let me know if you have any questions!
Cheers Daveyboy!

As a bass player, I find the bass to be way BOOMY when I crank it up. As someone who would hate having to do anything more than simply replacing the stock 6x9s with aftermarket goods, you're actions have moved me to take action as well. Thanks for the detailed info.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Bound for Europe

I just realised you're in Vancouver.
Where'd you get them JBLs?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Soze75
I just realised you're in Vancouver.
Where'd you get them JBLs?
Hey Soze75! yeah... actually I'm in burnaby also...good side of hastings also heheh!

I don't know if the forums mod would want me posting where I bought the stuff (heh heh... no advertising!), so please feel free to email me at dave2music@yahoo.com and I would be happy to let you know... that goes for anyone else out there also who may have more questions! Thanks for all the feedback!

dave2music
Old 01-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started out tring Alpine SPS-690A 6x9
• Peak Power 250W
• 50W RMS Power
• Spoke Design Grill System
• Frequency Response: 30Hz – 30kHz
• Strontium Ferrite Woofer Magnet
• Aluminum-Coated Woofer Cone
• Rubber Surround
• Nomex® Spider
• Balanced Dome Tweeter
• 2-1/4" Pulp Cone Mid-Range

They Sucked

The stock system does not have the power to use any other decent 6x9. The door speakers are a diffrent story that is well worth the time and money. As for the Subs if you don't want to put a box leave them alone because the difference won't be worth the money.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by ortiz
I started out tring Alpine SPS-690A 6x9
• Peak Power 250W
• 50W RMS Power
• Spoke Design Grill System
• Frequency Response: 30Hz – 30kHz
• Strontium Ferrite Woofer Magnet
• Aluminum-Coated Woofer Cone
• Rubber Surround
• Nomex® Spider
• Balanced Dome Tweeter
• 2-1/4" Pulp Cone Mid-Range

They Sucked

The stock system does not have the power to use any other decent 6x9. The door speakers are a diffrent story that is well worth the time and money. As for the Subs if you don't want to put a box leave them alone because the difference won't be worth the money.
Yeah... I checked out so many 6x9's..unfortunately to say, the clarions sucked also... I love clarion, but they were no good...

That's where the sensitivity specification will make a difference. Do you happen to know what it is on the Alpine's? you'd want it to be as high as possible. Of course, 6x9's are never gonna vibrate the trunk lid off your car like a good ol powered 12" sub! Heh heh! Did you try any other 6x9's?

dave2music
Old 01-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Don't listen to me.

Yeah... I checked out so many 6x9's..unfortunately to say, the clarions sucked also... I love clarion, but they were no good...

That's where the sensitivity specification will make a difference. Do you happen to know what it is on the Alpine's? you'd want it to be as high as possible. Of course, 6x9's are never gonna vibrate the trunk lid off your car like a good ol powered 12" sub! Heh heh! Did you try any other 6x9's?

dave2music
I tried a polk, kenwood and a Sony. It was my feable attempt not to put a box in my car. In the end I gave in a have a very nice sound system.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Have you tried looking at Boston, Focal, Morel, Hertz, Diamond Audio, Rainbow range?
Old 01-19-2004, 02:46 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

i so want to do this... problem is i like my stereo to be loud... i like the output of the stock speakers in terms of volume... i drive with my windows down alot (live in fL) and my stereo is normally at 35 or so and i'm loving the loudness... but I' dont like the quality... do you think replacing the speakers alone would solve this problem and still have it sound just as loud? (or at least as loud as the 35 on stock speakers?) Bottom line is i dont need it to be louder... i just need it to be JUST AS LOUD as stock... but clearer... and better sounding.... would u recommend going the route of just replacing the stock speakers for my needs?

PS i'm planning on Disconnecting and getting rid of the 6x9s all together... beacuase I've already got 1 alpine type R 12" sub that i'm going to put in the trunk. So i'm really considering just replacing all of the door speakers.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

you need an aftermarket amp. also go with some cdt components. best bang for the buck. i had some diamond s600 hex components in my last car, and to be honest i prefer my cdts now. the midbass on that unit is pretty weak. focal is just too damn $. no need to even look at rainbow
Old 01-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

well if you are looking for loudness then you could replace all the speakers. but if you are looking for SQ then ditch the rear 6.5 and 6x9. get a badass frontstage and some subs in the back.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Don't listen to me.

Originally posted by 97AcuraCL
i so want to do this... problem is i like my stereo to be loud... i like the output of the stock speakers in terms of volume... i drive with my windows down alot (live in fL) and my stereo is normally at 35 or so and i'm loving the loudness... but I' dont like the quality... do you think replacing the speakers alone would solve this problem and still have it sound just as loud? (or at least as loud as the 35 on stock speakers?) Bottom line is i dont need it to be louder... i just need it to be JUST AS LOUD as stock... but clearer... and better sounding.... would u recommend going the route of just replacing the stock speakers for my needs?

PS i'm planning on Disconnecting and getting rid of the 6x9s all together... beacuase I've already got 1 alpine type R 12" sub that i'm going to put in the trunk. So i'm really considering just replacing all of the door speakers.
If you don't need it any louder then replacing the speakers will do wonders. It may even get a little louder.

However if you plan on putting the Alpine type-R speaker in the trunk, the stock amp will not produce much sound. That is too much speaker for the stock amp. You will need a mono amp for that speaker.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

You will need an amp to power up your sub. You won't get much in your sub out of the stock system without the help of an amp.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:00 PM

If you don't need it any louder then replacing the speakers will do wonders. It may even get a little louder.

However if you plan on putting the Alpine type-R speaker in the trunk, the stock amp will not produce much sound. That is too much speaker for the stock amp. You will need a mono amp for that speaker.
oh nooo noo i've gota MTX 6500 Mono Amp for the sub... but i'm talking for the interior speakers I want to run it off of stock amp.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:03 PM

so do i need a component set for the front? or do you think I could get away with just some replacement speakers for the front and rear doors? i'm gonna be looking for 6.5s right? I'm on a tight tight budget; i'd LIKE to not spend more than 200-250 on both pairs.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

so do i need a component set for the front? or do you think I could get away with just some replacement speakers for the front and rear doors? i'm gonna be looking for 6.5s right? I'm on a tight tight budget; i'd LIKE to not spend more than 200-250 on both pairs.
are u getting an amp too? i suggest you do. personally i would just upgrade the 6.5s up front and get some subs. hook the rear speakers to the HU and fade them as you want.

you could get:
cdt cl-61 from the zeb for 150
or
DEI Viper 650.2 for 140 at sound domain.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 PM
Don't listen to me.

You can ger away with just some replacement speakers for the front and rear doors. Yes they are 6.5.

Remember that you will have to modify the door brakets because the monting dept is very minimal (less than 2 inches). You can buy just about any speakers but don't go crazzy. (ie. alpine type-x)

Infinity REF6002SI 6-1/2" Two-way shallow mount would be perfect.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:59 PM

You can ger away with just some replacement speakers for the front and rear doors. Yes they are 6.5.

Remember that you will have to modify the door brakets because the monting dept is very minimal (less than 2 inches). You can buy just about any speakers but don't go crazzy. (ie. alpine type-x)

Infinity REF6002SI 6-1/2" Two-way shallow mount would be perfect.
does anyone have any experience with these speakers? Remember I want clarity; loudness (so long as its as loud as stock) is not necessary. I dont wanna go the way of adding an amp to the interior speaekrs becuase i'm on a budget. The sub WILL of coruse get an amp though. I just couldn't do 2 amps.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

You can power your sub and front stage with a 3 or 4-channel amp, you don't need 2 amps.

Depending on what sub and front stage you get (based on your budget), have a look at Audison SRx3 which should be powerful enough, not to mention it is not that expensive.

Link: http://www.audison.it/prodotti.asp?l...&idprodotto=49

You can have it output 2x65wrms to the front stage (4 ohm) and 1x340wrms for the sub (2 ohm).