iSimple issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:07 AM
TSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iSimple issue

I have an 2005 Acura TSX. I have the following iSimple products: PGHHD1 and PXAMG. I can not seem it to get it to function. I am not sure if it is defective. I have the latest firmware installed. The serial number is PX0508.26. I followed instructions per the manual and I never get a menu when I select the XM/AUX. It does charge my ipod when I have it connected and my XM does work when attached to the gateway.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? I can never get it switched to AUX to access the gateway. It goes from XM1, XM2, CD.

TIA for the help.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2005/non-navigation with the Isimple installed. I am using the Isimple with an 3G Ipod nano.

It sounds like Isimple is not even being recognized. Normally when you press the XM/AUX button, the display will briefly show that last input selected and then briefly show one of - SAT / AUX1 / AUX2 / IPOD. During that display, you can turn the radio select knob to cycle through SAT / AUX1 / AUX2 / IPOD. It sounds like you can't do that.

I assume your radio/CD/XM is working normally. If the bus (that large connector) is not connected the XM probably wouldn't work correctly.

The other thing I would check is the Ipod screen after it is plugged into the Isimple. It shows a screen that has a large check mark and the words "Ok to disconnect" or something like that. This would indicate that the Isimple is recognizing the Ipod and is able to control it.

Do you have the Ipod cable to the media gateway connected to the correct socket?

By the way, I am very happy with the audio quality (within the limitations of the stock system). I was somewhat frustrated by the hissing, etc with an FM modulator.

Last edited by darowa; 10-24-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 PM
TSX

I got it to recognize and after it recognized (IPOD, AUX1, AUX2, XM) then it stayed on "XM LOADING", then never recognized it again.

I"m not sure what's going on.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
TSX

Originally Posted by darowa
I have a 2005/non-navigation with the Isimple installed. I am using the Isimple with an 3G Ipod nano.

It sounds like Isimple is not even being recognized. Normally when you press the XM/AUX button, the display will briefly show that last input selected and then briefly show one of - SAT / AUX1 / AUX2 / IPOD. During that display, you can turn the radio select knob to cycle through SAT / AUX1 / AUX2 / IPOD. It sounds like you can't do that.

I assume your radio/CD/XM is working normally. If the bus (that large connector) is not connected the XM probably wouldn't work correctly.

The other thing I would check is the Ipod screen after it is plugged into the Isimple. It shows a screen that has a large check mark and the words "Ok to disconnect" or something like that. This would indicate that the Isimple is recognizing the Ipod and is able to control it.

Do you have the Ipod cable to the media gateway connected to the correct socket?

By the way, I am very happy with the audio quality (within the limitations of the stock system). I was somewhat frustrated by the hissing, etc with an FM modulator.
The Bus is connected and works since I am able to listen to XM but it just doesn't recognize the gateway.

I never get that check mark on the iPod. I'm going to mess with it some more. If you or anyone has any input, please let me know. I emailed the iSimple guys but they haven't responded yet.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 PM
TSX

I will add also that I have seen when it doesn't scroll through the menu but through the factory defaults, I do see "SAT" when XM1 is being used.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm agreeing with your diagnosis - the media gateway is defective.

I found that the Isimple people responded to an email within a business day.

I asked them about the fact that the Ipod does not turn off when the car is turned off. They replied that was normal and they recommended unplugging the Ipod when turning off the car for an extended time. It continues to charge the Ipod from the car battery if you leave it plugged in (probably negligible car battery drain for awhile).

One other issue I have found is that brand new Ipods (4G nano for instance) will not charge with the Isimple. New Ipods expect USB charging voltage and the Isimple supplies Firewire charging. You will see a message on the Ipod saying that charging with Firewire is not supported. The Ipod works normally otherwise. This is not a unique problem to the Isimple - I have a Klipsch Igroove speaker system that can't charge a new Ipod. There is an adapter sold by Scosche (Passport $30) that converts Firewire voltage to USB voltage that will solve the problem. This fix is an annoyance but a workaround for this charging problem.

Last edited by darowa; 10-25-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 PM
TSX

I just checked about the iPod charging while the car is off. I confirmed, it does. that's no good.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 AM
Intermediate

check to see if the gateway is in the ON position, these things do not stay very well and can easily be altered due to bumps. Hopes that helps
Old 10-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e-mail isimple support, they know exactly what's wrong and get back to u fast.