isimple

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll look into where it says that on the box. I am the buyer for Peripheral Electronics and work right next to R&D. I know it is compatible with NAV, I saw it tested in both a RDX and TSX with nav. As a matter of fact, the integration with Honda's navigation is one of the best with all of the vehicles the PXAMG is compatible with.

Miner, PM with any questions, i'll try to get your answers. I don't look at this board much at work but i'll try to answer you as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by miner
Then I wonder why it states on the front of the box "Is not compatible with navigation radios"? I do know the tech power cycled correctly, I was in the car with him. Not sure about the DIP switch issue though.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Just talked to R&D and product development. The box may have been printed before we were able to test the PXAMG with a NAV. The most up to date information can be found here, http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...?ProductID=276 and we have removed the "not compatible with navigation" for the TSX.

During the install were you able to access the gateway? Do you have any 3rd party apps on your ipod touch? Did you test with a different ipod?

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also did you receive a response from our tech support? I have elevated your lack of response.

Then I wonder why it states on the front of the box "Is not compatible with navigation radios"? I do know the tech power cycled correctly, I was in the car with him. Not sure about the DIP switch issue though.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RadYOacTVe
I'll look into where it says that on the box. I am the buyer for Peripheral Electronics and work right next to R&D. I know it is compatible with NAV, I saw it tested in both a RDX and TSX with nav. As a matter of fact, the integration with Honda's navigation is one of the best with all of the vehicles the PXAMG is compatible with.

Miner, PM with any questions, i'll try to get your answers. I don't look at this board much at work but i'll try to answer you as soon as I can.
RadYOacTVe,

Please share your findings if you get an answer. I too am interested in this product. While I have not seen the box stating not compatible with NAV, the Best Buy website, while stating compatible with 2008 TSX, does state does not work with NAV.

Miner,
Thanks for your input as well.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Hello Msty,

More than likely the Best Buy website info is dated as well based on our previous app guide. I don't know why the install tech couldnt get it to work with Miner but it will help once he replies whether or not they were able to access the PXAMG from the NAV unit or not. If they were able to access the PXAMG then there might be an issue with the ipod.

I hope nobody takes this as me pitching our product, I just want to make sure you guys are getting correct info.

Originally Posted by mstylady
RadYOacTVe,

Please share your findings if you get an answer. I too am interested in this product. While I have not seen the box stating not compatible with NAV, the Best Buy website, while stating compatible with 2008 TSX, does state does not work with NAV.

Miner,
Thanks for your input as well.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Agreed on the Best Buy improper install... I'm going to assume that the tech probably didn't disconnect the battery. He/she/you should try unplugging the power source to the PXAMG unit for a min or so, and then reconnecting. The unit should then power up and initialize...
Old 06-18-2008, 10:50 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

radyoactve... just pm'd you about the bt kit and steering wheel control use on an '05 tsx nav...
Old 06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Just talked to R&D and product development. The box may have been printed before we were able to test the PXAMG with a NAV. The most up to date information can be found here, http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...?ProductID=276 and we have removed the "not compatible with navigation" for the TSX.

During the install were you able to access the gateway? Do you have any 3rd party apps on your ipod touch? Did you test with a different ipod?

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also did you receive a response from our tech support? I have elevated your lack of response.
Sorry for the late reply. Not sure if he was able to access the gateway. I was called back to the car when he could not get it to work. I assked him to power it down and then power it back up - sor tof a reboot. Nothing at all. There was not another iPod to test with BUT my iTouch works with all connections (DICE and MusicLink) that my 5 gen works with. Maybe I should just go buy the unit and install myself. Thanks for your help.

BTW, how do you access the gateway?
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Sorry for the late reply. Not sure if he was able to access the gateway. I was called back to the car when he could not get it to work. I assked him to power it down and then power it back up - sor tof a reboot. Nothing at all. There was not another iPod to test with BUT my iTouch works with all connections (DICE and MusicLink) that my 5 gen works with. Maybe I should just go buy the unit and install myself. Thanks for your help.

The reason why I'm fairly certain the BB tech didn't install it properly is because even if the iPod connection wasn't functional/working, I believe you'd still be able to scroll through the audio inputs (IPOD - which would be "disconnected", XM1, XM2, AUX1, AUX2). The USA Spec works in an '08 Nav, and the PXAMG uses the same "connections" to integrate with the head unit.

My advice, Miner, is to pick up the unit and try to install it yourself... it's really simple, and doesn't involve any wire splicing. Disconnect a wire, plug it into the PXAMG harness, and then plug the PXAMG harness into the head unit. If it doesn't work, you can return it to Best Buy as a defective product.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by amadeus303
If it doesn't work, you can return it to Best Buy as a defective product.
And they'll return it to us....LOL.

We have been getting a few returned but I believe it has to do with installers like the one you encountered. They get tested here and show nothing to be defective. We even send our tech guys out for regional training but there's no way everyone get informed correctly.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

The reason why I'm fairly certain the BB tech didn't install it properly is because even if the iPod connection wasn't functional/working, I believe you'd still be able to scroll through the audio inputs (IPOD - which would be "disconnected", XM1, XM2, AUX1, AUX2). The USA Spec works in an '08 Nav, and the PXAMG uses the same "connections" to integrate with the head unit.

My advice, Miner, is to pick up the unit and try to install it yourself... it's really simple, and doesn't involve any wire splicing. Disconnect a wire, plug it into the PXAMG harness, and then plug the PXAMG harness into the head unit. If it doesn't work, you can return it to Best Buy as a defective product.
Is the plug that I dosconnect from the HU on the bottom of the radio/CD changer - get access by removing the storage bin?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

^^^You got it
Old 06-19-2008, 09:05 AM
Advanced

To enter the mode select menu leave and re-enter the XM source to enter the mode select menu. This can be accomplished by pressing the “AM/FM” button to switch to FM, AM and then “XM or “AUX” to switch back to “XM”. Once in the mode select menu, turn the rotary knob until “iPod” is displayed. The gateway will auto select the mode after 4 seconds of inactivity.

Here is a link to the Honda PXAMG instructions: http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...HD1_manual.pdf

Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Cruisin'

To enter the mode select menu leave and re-enter the XM source to enter the mode select menu. This can be accomplished by pressing the “AM/FM” button to switch to FM, AM and then “XM or “AUX” to switch back to “XM”. Once in the mode select menu, turn the rotary knob until “iPod” is displayed. The gateway will auto select the mode after 4 seconds of inactivity.

Here is a link to the Honda PXAMG instructions: http://peripheralelectronics.com/per...HD1_manual.pdf
Any of you know any capable installers in Northern NJ? amadeus303, I see you are in Freehold; my mother lives in Willingboro, so I could feasibly visit a installer down there, if you are able to recommend anyone? I prefer Northern NJ if can make any recommendation other than Best Buy since they seem to be unable to install. I'm going to print RadYOacTVe's link and take to Best Buy, but just in case. Thanks a million!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by mstylady
Any of you know any capable installers in Northern NJ? amadeus303, I see you are in Freehold; my mother lives in Willingboro, so I could feasibly visit a installer down there, if you are able to recommend anyone? I prefer Northern NJ if can make any recommendation other than Best Buy since they seem to be unable to install. I'm going to print RadYOacTVe's link and take to Best Buy, but just in case. Thanks a million!
Honestly, I could help you install it if you're in the area, or if you're a reasonable drive away. I'd really hate to see you spend some decent loot on something that could literally take 5-10 mins to do (unless you don't care about the $). In that event, I could probably point you to some forum members I know (from the other site) around northern NJ that would be willing to do it. They don't really frequent *this* board too much.

What part of NJ are you from?

Btw... another alternative is to hook up with one of the regional TSX meets from the other board. There's a number of guys/gals that can do it or help you out at the meet.... and you'll probably get a burger or bbq out of it to boot, lol
Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Cruisin'

Honestly, I could help you install it if you're in the area, or if you're a reasonable drive away. I'd really hate to see you spend some decent loot on something that could literally take 5-10 mins to do (unless you don't care about the $). In that event, I could probably point you to some forum members I know (from the other site) around northern NJ that would be willing to do it. They don't really frequent *this* board too much.

What part of NJ are you from?

Btw... another alternative is to hook up with one of the regional TSX meets from the other board. There's a number of guys/gals that can do it or help you out at the meet.... and you'll probably get a burger or bbq out of it to boot, lol
amadeus303; I'm in Belleville NJ and work in Parsippany (Essex and Morris counties, respectively). Trust me, I care about the $$ Well, my iPod is now busted, so I'll have to repair or replace that, then I'll buy the iSimple product and try to install myself and if I'm unsuccessful, I'll give a shout out to you all here!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is my late update. It flawlessly works in my 06 TL. Steering wheel controls work, text displays on dash as well as on Nav and of course XM is still functional. Took a whole 10 minutes to get acquainted with the controls. Overall great product!
Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

OK - so I need to correct an earlier post I made about '05 TSX navigation systems not being able to advance tracks via the steering wheel. It turns out that I picked up a very early unit, so the firmware had to be updated. I did it myself via my laptop and a USB cord, and voila --- great success!

I REALLY can't say enough good things about the customer service I received from the guys at Peripheral, particularly Eric (Radyoactve on this forum). Every question and every step of the way, he tried to help me out and acted as my liaison to the Tech department. The craziest part was that he had no reason to help me... he's not a CS rep, and if I'm not mistaken, he doesn't even have his Acura anymore!

I'm sure the Eric and the tech guys were getting annoyed with me, lol... I kept asking the same things over and over again. You da man, Eric --- you've got a dedicated Peripheral customer here now.

In any event, the short... this unit is awesome: text display on the nav screen and clock lcd, the ability to browse the iPod without touching it, no loss in functionality (XM, etc.), the addition of another audio input, AND steering wheel controls

iSimple Media Gateway FTW!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:42 AM
Safety Car

I am going to go out and buy a unti this weekend, I will install my self. I am sure I can do a better job than the club-fisted monkeys at Best Buy who could not get it to work. This is just what the TSX ordered. The current MPS connection is OK, but why not get text display if you can?

How will I know if I get a newer firmware version?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I am going to go out and buy a unti this weekend, I will install my self. I am sure I can do a better job than the club-fisted monkeys at Best Buy who could not get it to work. This is just what the TSX ordered. The current MPS connection is OK, but why not get text display if you can?

How will I know if I get a newer firmware version?
You'll know right off the bat if you have older firmware if you can access the gateway via nav screen, tuner knob, etc... but can't advance tracks via the steering wheel. I'm thinking that the big box stores like Best Buy probably have newer units. In any event, they have instructions on how to update if necessary on Peripheral's site --- drop me a PM if you hit any snags.

The installation is super straight-forward... if you already know how to take out your CD bin, it'll take you about 5 mins to hook it up. Then, all you'll have to decide is where you want to put the iSimple, and where you'll want to run your iPod cord.

You'll love it
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Any suggestions on iSimple location? I want to run the iPod cable in the center console tunnel and into the consol/box. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Any suggestions on iSimple location? I want to run the iPod cable in the center console tunnel and into the consol/box. Thanks for your help.
I've found (through the number of different iPod solutions I've tried in my car) that the 2 best locations to stow a unit is behind the CD bin, and behind the glove compartment. If you're not running any other wiring by your headunit in your TSX, there's just enough space to fit the iSimple in there, but it'll be very snug. If you opt for behind the glove compartment, there's a small nook in the top left area.

Either way, the cord length on the iPod connector is 12', so you won't have any issues running it into the center console box.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Advanced

When I had it in my 05, the panel below the glove box easily pops out and has a layer of cloth that the isimple just rested on. It was easy to get to and take off, pull down to release the snaps then pull out.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Race Director

Let me just say I have the Isimple on my 00 TL and its AWESOME. I never reliezed how great the stock stereo was till I got this hook up. I highly recommend this product to anyone looking.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

will this work with the hon-sc1/sc-c1 sirius setup? i'd like to add this to my TSX, but i'm wanting sirius more. if this worked with that then it would be perfect.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Advanced

For those of you that have the iSimple PXAMG installed, there is a not so publicized rebate promotion for an HD radio tuner.

Check out HD RADIO $50 REBATE for a $50 rebate. The rebate is good for purchases from June 30, 2008 to September 28, 2008.

Not a bad add-on at that price after rebate if you already have the PXAMG.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problems?

I installed the iSimple unit about a month ago. Vehicle is a 2006 TL w/nav.
I've used it with a video iPod and my iPhone. Both worked awesome. No problems at all.

Now that was in the beginning. For the last week the unit sucks. I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems and a solution.

When an iPod is plugged in or when it is not, the factory radio is extremely slow changing functions. Most of the time I have to press the AM/FM button multiple times to access FM. I can almost never access SAT/iPOD. Even if I do access them the text readings almost never change. It's like it is frozen.

Anyone?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Having Issues

After about 2 weeks or working flawlessly I am now having issues with this unit. I have a 06 TL.

From time to time the text would take a long time to display which is not a major concern for me.

Another issue is the audio volume. While I would be listening to different songs from the same album the volume of one track would be very low and the others would sound normal. When I advance the track on the song which sounds low the volume would go to normal volume for a split second before advancing. I know it is not just that particular song as it sounded normal once the iSimple was installed. I can live with this from time to time.

The major concern is that starting this weekend I can set it to play a particular pl/album/artist/song and after the first song it no longer plays the audio. It will advance to the next track as indicated on the display but will not play audio. It pauses on each track for about 4 seconds and then goes to the next w/o any sound.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by videojock
After about 2 weeks or working flawlessly I am now having issues with this unit. I have a 06 TL.

From time to time the text would take a long time to display which is not a major concern for me.

Another issue is the audio volume. While I would be listening to different songs from the same album the volume of one track would be very low and the others would sound normal. When I advance the track on the song which sounds low the volume would go to normal volume for a split second before advancing. I know it is not just that particular song as it sounded normal once the iSimple was installed. I can live with this from time to time.

The major concern is that starting this weekend I can set it to play a particular pl/album/artist/song and after the first song it no longer plays the audio. It will advance to the next track as indicated on the display but will not play audio. It pauses on each track for about 4 seconds and then goes to the next w/o any sound.

Heyy
I'm Christina I work with RadYOacTVe [Eric] and he asked me find an answer for your problem. Unfortunately the only responce I got was that we removed the TL from the application guide and we have made sure R&D is aware of the problem. If I find anything else out I'll be sure to let you know. Also, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 AM
10th Gear

Easiest way to remove the cd storage bin.

I have an '05 TSX with Navi, Thanks to this thread, I bought an iSimple from bestbuy and was looking for instructions to pullout the "cd storage bin".

supraken had written these instructions in another thread. Just tried it out and it was really easy.

"For me it's really easy to get out. Just open the compartment underneath (the not an ashtray one), that would give you some access to the bottom side of the compartment you want to take out. You should be able to put your fingers underneath the compartment (and above the now-opened door of the not-an-ashtray bin), and pull it so that you feel the clips let go. Once you do this then pull it out so that it's level, or else the top of it might get blocked.

This gives you a lot more grip than the press both sides method that a lot of people have described, I think. Works for me, at least"
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Is there a DIY or pictures of how to install this ..
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
This is a re-post of some instructions I wrote a few months ago...
I took some pictures but they weren't too helpful...

iSimple install
Here are the steps for a 2005/non-Navi install. I spent a bit of time probing around behind the radio but it turns out the connector you need to reach is just above the storage bin. You do not have to dis-assemble the console to install the iSimple.

(1)Remove the storage bin just below the climate control. There are other threads describing detail but basically open the door and pull gently but forcefully straight out. There are no screws holding this bin.

(2)wrap the loose bin (with light harness attached) in towels to prevent damage and carefully set aside.

(3)look at the iSimple unit. It has a large wiring harness with a 14-pin male and female connector. Plug the male connector into the female connector. And then notice that to unplug them, you have to press a small tab to release a lock. Note how this works carefully because you need to press the tab in the next step.

(4)Just above where the bin used to be is a 14-pin connector - it's a bit right of center - but it's directly above where the bin sits. You will need to unplug it. Remember you must press that little locking tab to get it out - the tab is on the side of the connector nearest to you. It's in kind of an awkward position so you may have to work at it.

(5)take the just unplugged connector and plug it into the female matching connector from the iSimple unit. Make sure it's seated firmly.

(6)plug the male connector from the iSimple unit into the place where you removed the connector in step 4. Make sure it's seated firmly.

(5) Connect the Ipod connector per Isimple instructions. There are 2 connectors in the Isimple unit that look the same but the instructions say to use the one furthest from the dip switches.

(6)You're done! except for re-assembly. I would test the unit before putting it all back together.

(7)I have decided to drill a hole in the back of the storage bin (large enough to pass the smaller Ipod connector). But you may have some other preference - like route the Ipod wire the the armrest compartment or glove box. Your choice.

I have found the unit works pefectly. AM/FM/XM/CD changer all work as usual. The display is a bit short for some information but you have seen that with XM information. The steering wheel buttons work as expected.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
A couple of added comments

I have a completely stock audio system. I have found the sound quality to be as good as the stock system can do.

There is one further issue which may develop. If you are using a new Ipod, the Isimple will not properly charge the Ipod. Apple changed charging from firewire to USB voltages. The Isimple provides firewire only. I purchased the Scosche Passport (about $25) which converts the (Isimple) firewire to USB. The Isimple will operate the Ipod whether you fix the charging problem or not. You can search for posts about the Scosche Passport.

Older Ipods (before the ones released in Fall 2008) will not have the charging problem.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by darowa
A couple of added comments

I have a completely stock audio system. I have found the sound quality to be as good as the stock system can do.

There is one further issue which may develop. If you are using a new Ipod, the Isimple will not properly charge the Ipod. Apple changed charging from firewire to USB voltages. The Isimple provides firewire only. I purchased the Scosche Passport (about $25) which converts the (Isimple) firewire to USB. The Isimple will operate the Ipod whether you fix the charging problem or not. You can search for posts about the Scosche Passport.

Older Ipods (before the ones released in Fall 2008) will not have the charging problem.
Peripheral makes a 5 volt cable for the newer iPods. It's been out for months. No adapter needed.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
is it still the case with the newest isimple ipod pxamg firmware that you can't advance (skip forward/backwards) tracks from your steering wheel controls if you have a TSX with navi?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by Jottle
is it still the case with the newest isimple ipod pxamg firmware that you can't advance (skip forward/backwards) tracks from your steering wheel controls if you have a TSX with navi?
Jottle... I'm not sure what year model you have, but they fixed that with one of the 1st firmware updates when I was testing out a unit from one of their 1st batches. I've had the PXAMG for about 3 years w/ no issues. Are you sure you've ever updated your firmware (correctly)?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ Word. I've never seen this issue with the TSX.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Jottle... I'm not sure what year model you have, but they fixed that with one of the 1st firmware updates when I was testing out a unit from one of their 1st batches. I've had the PXAMG for about 3 years w/ no issues. Are you sure you've ever updated your firmware (correctly)?
I haven't purchased yet for my 06. But I wasn't sure if this was an ongoing issue with the nav or if it was fixed with a firmware update. Thanks for the clarification amadeus. Maybe I should read the rest of the thread instead of posting redundant questions! Noob mistake