iPod IceLink connection with Navi

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 06:59 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
iPod IceLink connection with Navi

Followed the great instructions in the FAQ thread and the results turned out great! It took me about an hour since I took apart the center console to run the Icelink to the armrest.

I got a great deal from "genghis82" as he was selling his parts as he couldn't use them in his TL.

Enjoy the pictures...

Old 12-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Resident Tire Expert !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good looking system... I'm getting the soundgate setup this week. And I do plan on putting it exatcly where yours is.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:16 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

How hard was it to get your wire from the HU to the console/armrest? Did you remove anything besides the cup holder to get it down the middle? It looks good.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:53 AM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by TSXsurf
How hard was it to get your wire from the HU to the console/armrest? Did you remove anything besides the cup holder to get it down the middle? It looks good.
I just moved the middle console and the top console under the Navi unit. I didn't have to unplug the seat heaters as there was enough space to manuever. It was pretty easy to snake the wires once these pieces were removed.
Old 12-26-2004, 03:33 PM
honk not beep

my install

i received lots of slack last time for an unclean install so here's my updated pics

First thing I did was remove the compartment.

Afterwards I yanked out the red 'not an ashtray' box.. you have to use force to take it out

I dremeled a hold in the back of the compartment to hold the dension docking station

Front pic

Close-up pic

Back-pic

After making the hold, I glued black fabric from my local fabric store to make it look cleaner. Also that bump where the ipod resting on is a piece of styrofoam with the black fabric around it. I used elmer's glue to stick the fabric to the compartment and superglue to connect the styrofoam piece.

Another front pic

Close-up

As easy as it seems, mounting the icelink docking station was a bitch. I used er.. various tape techniques to make sure the docking station holds when i put the ipod in.

With this install i can flip the compartment down hiding the ipod, and have easy access to it instead of going through the center console which i used to do.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:35 PM
Resident Tire Expert !

Ghetto fab baby... Ghetto fab.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by sigmachi96
I just moved the middle console and the top console under the Navi unit. I didn't have to unplug the seat heaters as there was enough space to manuever. It was pretty easy to snake the wires once these pieces were removed.
How did you get the middel console around the shifter off? I can't seem to budge mine. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Can you control the iPod through the steering wheel?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:52 AM
honk not beep

Originally Posted by miner
How did you get the middel console around the shifter off? I can't seem to budge mine. Thanks.
Yea.. that one is a beeyach. But this is how I did it. Put your car into neutral and pull your parking brake. "Gently" pry the front of your panel, above the seater heat controls. There should be two clips in the front. There are two more clips on the middle sides, and two more clips on the back sides. The ones in the back are the hardest... pull where the cupholder is and you should be able to get those last two clips. I'll try to provide scans of this section later from the tsx repair manual.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by palidanx
Yea.. that one is a beeyach. But this is how I did it. Put your car into neutral and pull your parking brake. "Gently" pry the front of your panel, above the seater heat controls. There should be two clips in the front. There are two more clips on the middle sides, and two more clips on the back sides. The ones in the back are the hardest... pull where the cupholder is and you should be able to get those last two clips. I'll try to provide scans of this section later from the tsx repair manual.
Thanks. Is the cup holder separate from the center concole trim or is it molded together? I will do my install this weekend. How did you get the iPod connector fromthe center console into the storage compartment?
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by tinyau01
Can you control the iPod through the steering wheel?
Yes. That is why I bought the Ice-link as this allows you to control the << and >> on the iPod from the steering wheel.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:12 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by miner
Thanks. Is the cup holder separate from the center concole trim or is it molded together? I will do my install this weekend. How did you get the iPod connector fromthe center console into the storage compartment?
The cup holder is part of the center console. Start from the front and work you way back. Once you get the center console off, you can run the wire to the storage compartment. I lifted the rubber part of the compartment and drilled a hole as seen in the picture.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Safety Car

Thanks for your help. I did not need to drill a hole; just removed the accessory socket, ran connection through there, replaced socket. I opted for the iPod UI; I did not like the Dension interface.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Resident Tire Expert !

I'm doing my soundgate install this week... i'll take some pics and post.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:24 PM
BDI
Banned

Nice install.................is the tray the only thing you have to remove for the navi install??
Old 01-17-2005, 05:58 PM
honk not beep

Originally Posted by BDI
Nice install.................is the tray the only thing you have to remove for the navi install??
yup.. just the red tray <if you were referring to my install>. You also have to take apart the center console (where your cup holders are) to remove the two storage compartments in the front
Old 01-18-2005, 10:48 PM
BDI
Banned

is it worth to get the ice-link plus since we won't get the text display??
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 AM
honk not beep

i have the non ice-link plus and there are some issues with it that may have been resolved in the ice-link..

+ when you are in a playlist, you can't jump to the next playlist (icelink+ has this via the 'next' on the cd changer button)
+ if you press the 'next track' on the last song of your playlist you go back to the main screen

+ other than the dension ui i don't think there are many more difference for tsx's
Old 01-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

I have the plus, having some problems but its prob just error on my part...First off BIG TIME: DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY DURING THE INSTALL, didnt do this first time around... big mistake, its not just there so you dont eletracture urself...its got a reaason
Old 01-19-2005, 12:25 PM
BDI
Banned

Originally Posted by MemRheins
I have the plus, having some problems but its prob just error on my part...First off BIG TIME: DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY DURING THE INSTALL, didnt do this first time around... big mistake, its not just there so you dont eletracture urself...its got a reaason

What kind of problems are you running into??
Old 01-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

This might be a stupid question; Can you switch between the DVD and IPod and how do you do it?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BDI
What kind of problems are you running into??
Pritty much everything, its all messed up... next time im home im gonna spend a whole day on the phone w/ dension
Old 01-19-2005, 07:55 PM
honk not beep

Originally Posted by BIGFISH
This might be a stupid question; Can you switch between the DVD and IPod and how do you do it?

Well you can buy a special wireharness or splice a wireharness in the snhond3 (thing that connects to the ipod). So if you are playing a song on your ipod, your navigation will still work as if it was a cd or radio playing.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a difference with the procedure with a NON-Navi?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

What kind of information gets displayed when using the icelink with a navi HU?
Does this prevent you from using XM in the 2005 models?
Old 03-06-2005, 12:39 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Originally Posted by khaoohs
What kind of information gets displayed when using the icelink with a navi HU?
Does this prevent you from using XM in the 2005 models?
With my particular IceLink version, nothing. I can control the iPod with the steering wheel controls but do not see the song appear on the Navi display. I have a 2004 TSX so I don't know about XM but I have heard it does take away from your use of XM unless you have another switch.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:09 PM
Advanced

I just bought the newest version of the icelink for the TSX. It's much simpler than the one pictured in this thread, it only has the cable that attaches to the stereo, a longer icelink unit, and a cable out to the cradle. It appears that the SNHOND3 cable is using some different colored wires and doesn't have as many of them.

I'm going to try it as it is when I get home tonight. If that doesn't work, maybe somebody who's spliced the cables in the past can help me out. If anybody wants to see some pictures of this new version, let me know.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Originally Posted by vkewalra
I just bought the newest version of the icelink for the TSX. It's much simpler than the one pictured in this thread, it only has the cable that attaches to the stereo, a longer icelink unit, and a cable out to the cradle. It appears that the SNHOND3 cable is using some different colored wires and doesn't have as many of them.

I'm going to try it as it is when I get home tonight. If that doesn't work, maybe somebody who's spliced the cables in the past can help me out. If anybody wants to see some pictures of this new version, let me know.

How did it come out? Any improvements on the display of songs on the Navi screen?
Old 04-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by stogie1020
How did it come out? Any improvements on the display of songs on the Navi screen?
Didn't get around to it, some things came up this week. I'll splice the cables sometime next week and write a quick review.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Advanced

For anybody who buys the newest version of the ice-link for the TSX (which is now selling at Best Buy cheaper than at Dension's website) I have some updated wire splicing instructions. Follow the previous instructions:
ice-link for TSX Navi install instructions
except when splicing the two cables together follow this:

Accord grey wire to ice-link green wire
Accord orange wire to ice-link yellow wire
Accord metal shielding to ice-link bare wire.

I haven't spent much time with this, just went to my car to make sure it worked. I believe the only upgrade with this version of the ice-link is a more compact package. It now only has a cable from the car to the ice-link, and another cable from the ice-link to the dock.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:09 PM
honk not beep

bestbuy!?

what the heck they sell it at best buy now?! How much?

Originally Posted by vkewalra
For anybody who buys the newest version of the ice-link for the TSX (which is now selling at Best Buy cheaper than at Dension's website) I have some updated wire splicing instructions. Follow the previous instructions:
ice-link for TSX Navi install instructions
except when splicing the two cables together follow this:

Accord grey wire to ice-link green wire
Accord orange wire to ice-link yellow wire
Accord metal shielding to ice-link bare wire.

I haven't spent much time with this, just went to my car to make sure it worked. I believe the only upgrade with this version of the ice-link is a more compact package. It now only has a cable from the car to the ice-link, and another cable from the ice-link to the dock.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Racer

Woah... sure enough. IceLink Plus is now for sale at BestBuy.com for $199.99. However, does anyone have any updates on the new navi version that will supposedly eliminate all cable splicing?

BTW: Dension USA also has a new website.

Last edited by daniel1113; 04-27-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Advanced

When I called Dension USA before buying this one, I asked about my Navi TSX, the guy at tech support said they've never tested the ice-link on a navi TSX ,so I doubt they're working on it.

Even if they were working on it, it would have to be similar to the splice discussed here because to plug the ice-link in you need to unplug a cable. The splicing just connects the three wires from that unplugged cable to the ice-link's cable.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Racer

I know that. They have just been talking about it for the past month or so since the standard TSX model has been backordered.

Any adapter they make specifically for the nav will simply work like the Blitsafe adapter (well, except that it may actually work ).
Old 04-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Instructor

You can use this, no splicing needed

http://honda.autowebaccessories.com/...4_127_5510.php

I believe people have reported in the forums that works just as well. I thought dension started to release kits that were specifically made for the navi?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Racer

I believe that cable is just the Honda y-splitter harness, in which case, splicing it needed for TSX's with the navi system.

Dension has not started to release kits made specifically for the navi.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Instructor

I believe that part is like a y splitter where you could plug one into the navi and one into the ice link, someone on this forum posted that they used it without a problem, I can't seem to find the post anymore though.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:19 PM
Racer

Perhaps...

Anyway, I just got back from Best Buy, and sure enough, they had IceLink units out and ready for sale. They come in boxes with a similar look as the 3rd generation ipods (color pop art) and are $199.99. I was hoping to see a unit in action, but they didn't have any out, much less any setup with an ipod. I never thought I'd say this, but I feel much better buying one from Best Buy than straight from Dension, just incase something goes wrong. As soon as Blitzsafe fixes the problem with their adapter, I am ready to get one
Old 04-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Instructor

What is the problem with the blitzsafe adapter? I was gonna go purchase one from bestbuy this weekend? Should I wait?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:08 PM
10th Gear

My gf has a 2005 TSX with navi and xm, she just bought the ice link from best buy. Right on the box it says that if you have a navigation system you will need a seperate cable, not included. So I call there tech support to see if I can order the cable from them. The guy said he emailed me a link to a site where I can get the cable. I open the link and its the instructions that are on this thread for splicing the accord harness with the SNHOND3 adapter...haha Now I call the honda dealer in costa mesa looking for that harness and they cant find it with the part number that is listed..WTF?!

Quick Reply: iPod IceLink connection with Navi