installing sub to stock headunit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 01:05 AM
w202 on carlssons

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing sub to stock headunit?

i've searched but dead end soo, i have a 900w alpine sub with 2 alpine 12" subs.. i don't want to change out the stock 6 cd changer out and put my headunit in. i just want to simply connect the amp to the headunit.. is that possible? i've heard something about installing a hi-lo converter or something like that.. i'm not an audio guy .. and that sounded really complicated. with an aftermarket headunit installing a sub is really simple, theres just the two female plugs for the sub. i'm pretty sure they don't have that for the stock headunit. well, let me know guys.. sorry for the newb questions.. if you could help me out, i'd greatly appreciate it. thanks

-donald
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 AM
w202 on carlssons

=[ anyone?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what kind of car do you have?
and what kind of amp do you have?

what you would generally need is a Line Out coverter (LOC), I think it is also referred to as a hi-lo coverter as you mentioned. It is converts speaker wire output into RCA (red/white plug) output. So you will need to access your stock speaker wire output either from the headunit harness or the stock amp harness.

Here's a picture of one for an idea:

This is a 4channel one, so if you're just using it for a sub, you probably only need to channels.

Just hook that up to your stock speaker outputs (usually done after the stock amp for a stronger but maybe not as clean signal but also can be done out of the headunit but depends on the car). You will need a stock wiring diagram to know what colors go to what speakers. Then you will have the RCA outputs that you need to go to your amp.

Some amps also can accept hi level inputs. In which case you can just splice into your stock speaker wires for inputs.

I remember there was some info about this in the sticky at the top. I forget how good it was though.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 PM
w202 on carlssons

wow. that is very helpful. i don't think i have a 4 channel amp. its an alpine v-power though. hope its okay if i PM you with more info and pics for some help.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:10 PM
w202 on carlssons

oh. i have a '01 CL-P
Old 04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

yeah i had the same problem with my 99 tl so i just took it to a car audio shop and they suggested a hi-lo converter since i wanted to keep my stock bose unit. they charged me 120 for complete install of hi-lo and the subs with my amp. they raped my wallet by charging me 15 dollars for a on/off switch when its normally like 3 bucks at homedepot or autozone

now i want to get louder and better quality highs inside the car but i dont kno what speakers to go with and i dont have time to do research since i work 60 hours a week! so im at a stand still with that one.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 PM
w202 on carlssons

Originally Posted by H3KTIK
yeah i had the same problem with my 99 tl so i just took it to a car audio shop and they suggested a hi-lo converter since i wanted to keep my stock bose unit. they charged me 120 for complete install of hi-lo and the subs with my amp. they raped my wallet by charging me 15 dollars for a on/off switch when its normally like 3 bucks at homedepot or autozone

now i want to get louder and better quality highs inside the car but i dont kno what speakers to go with and i dont have time to do research since i work 60 hours a week! so im at a stand still with that one.
go with some alpines all arond. i hear they're pretty good.