Installed LineOut Converter But Bass Barely Audible

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:54 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Installed LineOut Converter But Bass Barely Audible

ok, so i installed the line out converter onto the factory amp using the blu/grn, orn/blu (? i dont remember the exact color but i know it was the correct pair of wires from the diagram) wires but the bass is barely audible. i know there is a 4-5V signal going into the amp though and i have my crossover set around 100Hz and the gain is about 50-60%.

should i have grounded the converter to the audio system ground or should i just forget it and connect the amp to the amplified signal going to the Bose speaker? i know this is going to compromise quality though but if its all i can do then i guess i might as well. suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

SSTS
Old 02-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta bypass the factory EQ.... did you?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:16 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally posted by Brian_C6
gotta bypass the factory EQ.... did you?
no i dont think i did actually, but that wouldnt attenuate the volume. or at least it shouldnt. i would imagine it would just change my crossover points but i should still have a louder signal. (although i could just be talking out of my butt) . i had a bit of a tough time identifying which wires would be pre-eq for the bass. any suggestions on that?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Do you have the stock Bose system? I don't think the 02's have a factory amp. Is this for the subwoofer only? I think the only thing amp'd in the 02 is the subwoofer. You just adding subwoofer and amp?

Brian
Old 02-25-2004, 11:43 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

hey Brian, yeah i have the stock system in my 02. and yeah the only thing amped accoring to the diagram is the sub. i have no problems getting to the amp or anything like that but im just having trouble figuring out why the sound is so attenuated. the two leads i connect the amp to are the ones coming from the eq going into the amp. so do you think i should have taken the signals coming out of the amp? the eq is the smaller block next to the amp isnt it?

actually....looking at the diagrams again i think i might see the error of my ways. the previous owner allready had RCAs run from the back of the headunit to the trunk but theyre not giving any signal to the amp so i dont know about that either. thanks again guys.

Bob

*******EDIT***
yeah i see thats the EQ, im probably an ass and should have taken it there in the first place. it looks as if i should have taken it from the orange and blu/grn outputs from the radio leading into the eq. maybe a project for this weekend. but lemme know what you think about that. thanks.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:34 AM
misanthropist

have you checked the gain on the loc, should be a gain for each channel...

loc

the two little dial on the side adjust the gain of each channel, make sure they are even... adjust those first with your amp turned down, then once you have the correct "volume" then bring the gain/boost of your amp back up
Old 02-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Definately check the gains on the LOC's.

You do not have to bypass the EQ for just the sub signals going to the factory amp(the EQ only acts as a crossover in this instance).

Also, check to make sure you have the BLU/GRN wire connected to the center post of your RCA plug.........this is the positve signal, and the ORN/BLU to the outer(negative signal). If the polarity is reversed it may make a difference.

Now make sure the gains on your aftermarket amp are turned up at least half.

Good luck,
Iggy
Old 02-26-2004, 12:38 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

well i have all the gains as they should be. the LOC is cranked and the amp is at 60% which i know is more than sufficient on that particular amp. but im wondering if the eq filters at a higher frequency than what my crossover is on the amp, which would explain the lack of sound. the sound is there, its just incredibly weak. ill try tapping the main stereo output before the eq and just let the amp crossover do all the work. or maybe i just got a crappy LOC. ill go buy a new one. thanks for the help. ill let you know what happens.