Installed an amp and sub, but kept the stock amp and sub too...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 06:01 PM
duy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed an amp and sub, but kept the stock amp and sub too...

I just got my system installed and the installer kept the stock sub and amp in as well. So, now the the stock bose sub works along with my new sub. I was wondering if this was good or bad? I can always take it in and get it re-done since I already paid for it. Should I just have them re-wire everything and remove the stock sub? I'm not totally satisfied yet, because I didn't want the ski pass through blocked and they blocked it. So they're are gonna have to move the box over a bit. Also, they mounted the amp to the box, which I don't like either. If they take the amp off the box and there are holes left, will there be a difference in sound?
Thanks
Old 11-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Sounds like you have a TL, right? You might want to move this topic over to the TL forum. For better answers on wiring.

Anyway, I don't think there's any harm in keeping the stock sub and adding another. However, you might have to spend some more time tweaking the settings (crossover points, gain, etc) to get it to suit your tastes.

Regarding mounting the amp on the box, you'll get many opinions on whether or not this is a good practice. As long as the amp is not being tucked in the corner and has plenty of room to breath, it's okay. If you're concerned about your system getting ripped off, mounting the amp to the sub makes it a quick job.

If you do have them take it off, the holes aren't really a major concern (assuming it's sealed)... it will just change the Qts of the system and affect your response a bit (probably make it a bit boomier but nothing you'd probably notice). I'd have them put the screws back in w/ some sealer anyway. If it's a ported or band-pass box, definitely have them patch it up because these alignments are much more sensitive.

-- Nihil
Old 11-17-2002, 08:56 PM
duy
Racer

Nihilistan:
Yes, I do have a TL. The TL boards don't seem to be working at the moment so I figured someone on here could help.

Thanks for the suggestions about the system. I think I'm just going to get the stock sub removed because I think it is rattling from the new sub.