I was thinking about replacing the 6x9's on the rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 11:59 AM
Intermediate

I was thinking about replacing the 6x9's on the rear deck

I was looking at the Infinity Kappa 692.5i 2-way speakers. Does anyone know if these speakers are good? Also, since the factory 6x9's act as sub-woofers then 2-way speakers are the best kind to get right?
Old 11-21-2003 | 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: I was thinking about replacing the 6x9's on the rear deck

Originally posted by VT-TSX
.... since the factory 6x9's act as sub-woofers then 2-way speakers are the best kind to get right?
I would think that this would render the smaller part of your two-way obsolete. The 6x9s are only getting a sub signal from my understanding. Not something that a tweeter/midrange could reproduce. If this is the case, your money is better spent on a better set of single 6x9s.
Old 11-22-2003 | 02:10 AM
Still here

Well, the best question is why do you want to replace them and not the rest of your speakres? The rear 6x9's are crossed over via the OEM radio/amp, there by making any 2 or 3 way 6x9 pointless.... or at the minimum, a waste.

Hence the need to know why you want to replace them... do you want more bass? louder music? rear fill? etc etc etc....
Old 11-22-2003 | 10:59 PM
Intermediate

I would like to replace all of the speakers eventually. i figured the 6x9's are a good place to start b/c they seem the easiest to replace. I would like to get more and cleaner bass out of the 6x9's. i don't want to add subs, and i'm content with the bass from the factory 6x9's. i just figured aftermarket speakers would be better. i just don't know which kind to get.
Old 11-23-2003 | 01:06 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

If you want to slowly change out the speakers, I think the 2 front door speakers would make the biggest difference.
Old 11-23-2003 | 05:29 PM
Instructor

Is there even such a thing as a 1-way 6x9 speaker?

If so, that would be perfect. NO wasted trunk space from a sub box, and more than enough bass for my tastes.
Old 11-23-2003 | 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by combustible1
Is there even such a thing as a 1-way 6x9 speaker?

If so, that would be perfect. NO wasted trunk space from a sub box, and more than enough bass for my tastes.
actually there is and stay tuned, im working on a few ideas, you know being the bass mechanic, ways of making better bass in the smallest space enter my mind a lot. just give me some time and ill have somthing.
Old 11-23-2003 | 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

update:
well i just swapped the stock 6x9's with some after marker 6x9's (a pair of prototype speakers i was in the process of developing last year)
and sadly the stock speakers seem to be far more efficient than aftermarket ones.
the bass was a lot less with aftermarket verses stock
if any of you happen to swap out the stockers with a different pair of aftermarket and find better results please let us know.
for now i think if i am to improve on the bass it will have to be a mixture of keeping the stock bass control at a lower setting and boosting the bass thats already there with a carefully tuned sub setup and amp with a low xover frequency.
e_lectro may be able to shed some light on this as he had already done this i think.
Old 11-23-2003 | 09:37 PM
Cruisin'

swapping 6x9s

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
update:
well i just swapped the stock 6x9's with some after marker 6x9's (a pair of prototype speakers i was in the process of developing last year)
and sadly the stock speakers seem to be far more efficient than aftermarket ones.
the bass was a lot less with aftermarket verses stock
What about swapping the facctory 6x9s for some units with nice deep response (Boston RM9s come to mind, because my installer friends frequently use them in setups where a sub is not an option), adding an external amp, then applying eq the setup? It's convoluted, but it might just work...
Old 11-23-2003 | 10:52 PM
Still here

well, if you are going as far as an amp and eq, might as well go for a small sub as well. you could then package them all together and make it removable...
Old 11-24-2003 | 01:12 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by e_lectro
well, if you are going as far as an amp and eq, might as well go for a small sub as well. you could then package them all together and make it removable...
Agreed, you could just remove the 6x9s and put in something like an Infinity Basslink if the goal is to have something removeable, but his goal was to not tie up trunk space, so I was trying to work within those limitations.

An added bonus of this approach is that if there's something in the trunk, it's not going to be as audible rattling around when the stereo is turned off.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-24-2003 | 02:11 AM
Still here

well, if we move away from 6x9's and want to avoid a box in the trunk, we start talking about fabrication.

As easy bit of fabrication would be to make some spacers for the 6x9 openings in the rear deck and install some 8" free air subs...

something like these: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...06RMB8&g=67500

They say they are mid-bass speakers, but they do play down to 30 Hz...

You would also need to amplify them, but a smallish amp coud be hidden easily.
Old 11-24-2003 | 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by e_lectro
well, if we move away from 6x9's and want to avoid a box in the trunk, we start talking about fabrication.

As easy bit of fabrication would be to make some spacers for the 6x9 openings in the rear deck and install some 8" free air subs...

something like these: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...06RMB8&g=67500

They say they are mid-bass speakers, but they do play down to 30 Hz...

You would also need to amplify them, but a smallish amp coud be hidden easily.
e_lectro, the only problem i see with the whole replacement of speakers idea is that i think the boosted 50hz you described going to the 6x9's is there because of the speakers they choose. they are very light weight and therefore very efficient but the 50 boost is there along with an efficient speaker to make some bass. i think most of the bass we hear from the rear is 50 hz. you really need to focus on getting somthing below 50 hz for bass. im thinking you need a true subwoofer as in a box tuned for about 40-45 hz and below the stock speakers add a real solid beat to the music but lack the low end punch. any free air sub will be limited around 45-55 hz so i think the reason the stock system is boosted at 50 is to try to improve the losses that exist with a free air speaker.
the 8" may work but i think the 6x9 actually has more surface area than a round 8. and you would need to definitly boost the signal because 45 watts from the stock amp doesnt seem to be enough.
one thing though even with the bass cranked and volume at any setting i found the stock amp to be clipped signal free, which is a really good thing. the limitation seems to be with the speakers reaching their xmax and xmec limits, they have a pretty small spider on them. the ones i used showed no sign of reaching their mechanical limit and therefore were perfectly silent (mechanically)when played in freeair.
Old 11-24-2003 | 03:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic
e_lectro, the only problem i see with the whole replacement of speakers idea is that i think the boosted 50hz you described going to the 6x9's is there because of the speakers they choose. they are very light weight and therefore very efficient but the 50 boost is there along with an efficient speaker to make some bass. i think most of the bass we hear from the rear is 50 hz. you really need to focus on getting somthing below 50 hz for bass. im thinking you need a true subwoofer as in a box tuned for about 40-45 hz and below the stock speakers add a real solid beat to the music but lack the low end punch. any free air sub will be limited around 45-55 hz so i think the reason the stock system is boosted at 50 is to try to improve the losses that exist with a free air speaker.
the 8" may work but i think the 6x9 actually has more surface area than a round 8. and you would need to definitly boost the signal because 45 watts from the stock amp doesnt seem to be enough.
one thing though even with the bass cranked and volume at any setting i found the stock amp to be clipped signal free, which is a really good thing. the limitation seems to be with the speakers reaching their xmax and xmec limits, they have a pretty small spider on them. the ones i used showed no sign of reaching their mechanical limit and therefore were perfectly silent (mechanically)when played in freeair.
Great thread guys, lots of helpful info here...

If I'm getting what you're is saying here bass mechanic, the optimal approach is to drive a good 10-12" sub off of the same leads the rear 6x9s use, with a low-pass crossover at about 40-45hz, leaving the stock speakers in place.

If this is the approach, what about using something like an Infinity Basslink for this application? Although it's got a rather high crossover frequency (70-100Hz), it does have a +3db/-6db "Bass EQ" at 45hz which might allow one to compensate for the factory amp's EQ. In addition, it'd be removable when needed for those occasions when one had to flip the seatbacks down, and the worst you'd ever do is the factory system. Seems like a slam dunk if the Bass EQ works well enough...
Old 11-24-2003 | 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

no i would not reccommend a basslink that POS is about as powerfull as a pair of 6x9's especially if your talking frequencies that low.

if you guys are interested im thinking i may POSSIBLY make a run of power mouse units for the TSX if there is enough interest.
but officially im not building them anymore. i think perhaps a small single 8 or single 10 may be a good compliment to the TSX and a custom neon TSX logo would be a nice touch.
if your interested view my website here
www.rmscaraudio.com
Old 11-24-2003 | 07:34 PM
Instructor

I checked out your site for the first time.. impressive stuff!

About how big would you anticipate the enclosure being for an 8" sub, with and/or without an amp?
Old 11-24-2003 | 09:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by combustible1
I checked out your site for the first time.. impressive stuff!

About how big would you anticipate the enclosure being for an 8" sub, with and/or without an amp?
thanks, the single 8 would br exactly 1/2 the width of the dual 8 unit and the single 10 is on the site already in both versions.
i would beed at least a few people interested before i could get motivated to begin production on a few units.

understand when i was running this business before i had nothing elase going on in my life, now im an insurance agent and work a lot of hours.
it would have to be several people wanting to order and i have a limited supply of parts available. depending on who and how many each guy wants.