How much better will some good components sound vs. stock Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:38 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much better will some good components sound vs. stock Bose?

Hey whats up guys? Yea i drive an '02 3.2 CL-S without navi. I added a 12" Image Dynamics IDMAX sub in a 2.5 cu ft ported box.

It sounds awesome with the stock Bose speakers... but I am going for ULTIMATE sound quality... My question is, with a 4 channel amp and some nice components
(top of the line), will it be a big difference in sound? I need those precise highs and nice midbass to compliment the sub.

thanks
Old 09-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Racer

Of course it's going to sound better. Just depends how good you want it to sound to say wether it's worth doing or not.... for now I'm happy with the Bose speakers. They sound especially good when watching a DVD. Now when I end up blowing them will I replace them with the stock speakers? No. But as for now I'm not tearin it all apart. Just my
Old 09-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Pro

i agree, i've heard some higher end components and of course they sound great, but in my opinion the stock bose components aren't bad at all
Old 09-24-2006, 11:01 AM
7th Gear

thanks guys.... anyone else?
Old 09-24-2006, 05:41 PM
10th Gear

Change them. I thought the stock speakers sounded good.... until I changed them to so Alpine Type-S (running off stock amp). My bro and i were amazed at the difference... especially the tweets.

edit: ooops, I thought you were driving a TSX... my bad for not reading.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:00 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Branden
Hey whats up guys? Yea i drive an '02 3.2 CL-S without navi. I added a 12" Image Dynamics IDMAX sub in a 2.5 cu ft ported box.

It sounds awesome with the stock Bose speakers... but I am going for ULTIMATE sound quality...
If you are going for ultimate sound quality:

1) Ace the rears. They help with loudness but NOT with sound quality.

2) Get a GOOD sounding front amplifier. No JL, no MTX, no RF. Get Zapco, DLS, Genesis, Tru Tech, audison, sinfoni, Brax, or Arc Audio.

3) Get as good a set of fronts as you can. Remember that this is the most important part of your system. Installation is also important. Many good tweeters will NOT fit readily into the mirror sails of a CL-s. The only good tweeters I can think of that will fit in there are DLS UP6 and Morel, maybe. The upper end DLS, the Hertz Space tweeter, and the Dyne tweeters won't fit in the sail and would have to go in the top of the door.

4) This is a limited upgrade, because using the factory speaker locations won't yield ultimate SQ. For best results, I'd go with dome mids and tweets in kick panel pods and an 8" in the door. Speaker brands to consider in that architecture include Dynaudio, Morel, and Hertz.

But this begs the question, what IS your budget?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Cruisin'

I'm not a Bose fan at all. Planning on gutting it and running all new wires with a whole new system. Just got my Alpine HU in the mail and waiting for my Ipod Interface, can't wait to put them in. Other components : Boston Acoutics Pro 6, Infinity Perfect rears, 2 Kove 10" subs and Earthquake/MTX amps. Good luck!!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by elduderino
If you are going for ultimate sound quality:

1) Ace the rears. They help with loudness but NOT with sound quality.

2) Get a GOOD sounding front amplifier. No JL, no MTX, no RF. Get Zapco, DLS, Genesis, Tru Tech, audison, sinfoni, Brax, or Arc Audio.

3) Get as good a set of fronts as you can. Remember that this is the most important part of your system. Installation is also important. Many good tweeters will NOT fit readily into the mirror sails of a CL-s. The only good tweeters I can think of that will fit in there are DLS UP6 and Morel, maybe. The upper end DLS, the Hertz Space tweeter, and the Dyne tweeters won't fit in the sail and would have to go in the top of the door.

4) This is a limited upgrade, because using the factory speaker locations won't yield ultimate SQ. For best results, I'd go with dome mids and tweets in kick panel pods and an 8" in the door. Speaker brands to consider in that architecture include Dynaudio, Morel, and Hertz.

But this begs the question, what IS your budget?
thanks for your input. what do u mean by ace the rears? and i plan on only using factory speaker locations, what are your recommendations? also, what impedence are the stock speakers? thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by Branden
thanks for your input. what do u mean by ace the rears? and i plan on only using factory speaker locations, what are your recommendations? also, what impedence are the stock speakers? thanks
Branden, I think you are using the term "ultimate sound quality" a bit loosely, and you may not have been exposed to what it can really mean. I'm not bashing you, just giving you a heads up.

The OEM door speakers are 2.3 ohms if memory serves.

We have had a speaker upgrade kit for that car in the past which replaces all six speakers - the 6x9s, the door midwoofers, and the tweeters, with better speakers which work well off of the Bose amp.

But that system is not designed to keep up with 12" woofers, and the Bose amp can't do it anyway, impossible. So you are not a candidate for the avincar speaker upgrade for that car.

I said to get rid of the rears because rear speakers suck ass when it comes to sound quality. They destroy the imaging and front stage effects crucial to good stereo.

Depending on your budget, I can tell you that the DLS UP6 components should fit and sound amazing, especially for what they cost. But you haven't said a word about your budget, so maybe you should kick down with that bit of data.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:25 PM
Racer

DLS UP6 or MBquartz premium? I have the MBquartz wanted something better that would fit
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
VP Electricity

Originally Posted by stic2it
DLS UP6 or MBquartz premium? I have the MBquartz wanted something better that would fit
What?

I personally think the DLS tweeter sounds better than the Quart tweeters. They do sound different, the metal and the silk...