How can I get some FM receptions from somewhere far?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 09:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can I get some FM receptions from somewhere far?

Hi all, I'm here in Nassau and I've just found out that I can receive the AM radio stations from Miami but I can't get anything FM. The distance between Nassau and Miami is around 185 miles. So I want to see if you guys have any ideas on getting those stations cuz the ones here SUCKS!!! I'm also thinking about XM but I don't know if it's going to work here. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 04-27-2002, 01:44 AM
Banned

Chinisimo:
Mmmh...get an add on antenna if you want...a powered antenna. As for XM...considering it's sattelite radio...unless you live underground then yes, it'll work for you. I'd get it.

Austin519
Old 05-05-2002, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Your probably SOL on the South Florida FM stations from a mobile platform.

AM radio uses frequencies (0.5 to 1.6 MHz) that are readily refracted (bent) by the ionized layers of the atmosphere. That is why you are able to receive them well beyond the horizon, especially at night.

FM, on the other hand, uses much higher frequencies (88 to 108 MHz). These frequencies are not readily refracted by the atmosphere so are usually not received much beyond the horizon except under exceptional conditions. These exceptional conditions do occur every now and then but certainly not on a regular basis.

With that being said you can probably receive the Miami FM stations if you erect a tower of modest hieght and place a high gain multi-element beam antenna on it. A high gain low noise amplifier will not hurt. Some of the better performing VHF (147 MHz) amatuer radio repeaters in Miami can sometimes work Nassau. These repeaters are circa 1000 feet high but operate at a much lower power than commercial FM stations. I also understand that the Miami TV stations can be sometimes received in Nassau but again it is not reliable and an elevated high gain antenna is needed.

In other words, there is nothing much you can do to reliably receive Miami FM stations in your car. I am not sure why you would want to when almost all the stations here really suck. XM radio seems to be the way I am headed as soon as they market a self contained head unit that I can simply swap out with the factory head unit (plus the antenna, of course).
Old 05-07-2002, 08:25 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Originally posted by RhoXS
Your probably SOL on the South Florida FM stations from a mobile platform.

AM radio uses frequencies (0.5 to 1.6 MHz) that are readily refracted (bent) by the ionized layers of the atmosphere. That is why you are able to receive them well beyond the horizon, especially at night.

FM, on the other hand, uses much higher frequencies (88 to 108 MHz). These frequencies are not readily refracted by the atmosphere so are usually not received much beyond the horizon except under exceptional conditions. These exceptional conditions do occur every now and then but certainly not on a regular basis.

With that being said you can probably receive the Miami FM stations if you erect a tower of modest hieght and place a high gain multi-element beam antenna on it. A high gain low noise amplifier will not hurt. Some of the better performing VHF (147 MHz) amatuer radio repeaters in Miami can sometimes work Nassau. These repeaters are circa 1000 feet high but operate at a much lower power than commercial FM stations. I also understand that the Miami TV stations can be sometimes received in Nassau but again it is not reliable and an elevated high gain antenna is needed.

In other words, there is nothing much you can do to reliably receive Miami FM stations in your car. I am not sure why you would want to when almost all the stations here really suck. XM radio seems to be the way I am headed as soon as they market a self contained head unit that I can simply swap out with the factory head unit (plus the antenna, of course).
Damn bro, are you an engineer?

I would have never explained it like that, but then again, video is more of my forte, and I do agree that he shoul dget XM radio for a more consistent and welcomed choice of tunes on the islands.