HELP!!!!! w7 is RIPPING!!!! ATLANTA JL AUDIO USERS/ DEALER HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Rollin to GT in da CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!!! w7 is RIPPING!!!! ATLANTA JL AUDIO USERS/ DEALER HELP!

Hey
i have like a 1200 watt bridged amp adn we absolutely cranked it last night...now it started to rip...im pist as hell...
hifibuys told me that id have to send it back, and since i bought it on ebay i have no warrenty and i gotta pay to have it fixed.
the rip isnt bad but i know its gonna get worse...is there any way i can seal the rip before it gets worse or am i basically gonna have to send it to JL to get it replaced.
IS THERE ANYONE IN ATLANTA THAT IS A JL DEALER HERE???? HIFI told me if i could find a friend who could say i bought it from them then the warrenty would apply and JL would swap it out....PLEASE HELP ME...IM BROKE AND NEED REPAIRS ON TEH CAR LET ALONE THIS DAMN SUB!!!!
Anyways, PLEASE THROW IN FEEDBACK AND IF ANYONE KNOWS A DEALER AND CAN HELP ME OUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!
THanks alot, i really appreciate it
John
Old 03-02-2003, 02:58 PM
I hand out swivel heads

Hey man, I tried to tell you. I even made a link to the JL Audio site on their recommended power range. I posted the exact quotes too.

"Red (DANGER ZONE): <750-1000>
Low-distortion output and long-term reliability will be compromised (especially by an aggressive user). Slightly more SPL might be gained by pushing the power into this zone, but typically not more than 2 dB, when compared to the yellow zone. The closer you are to the black zone, the higher the likelihood of driver failure. Operate with caution: burnt voice coils are not covered under warranty. Black (WARRANTY VOID): <1000-2000>
We do not recommend operating woofers at this level of power. In this zone, there is a very high probability that the driver will fail due to excessive heat and/or mechanical stress.
Subwoofer drivers operated at these levels of power are NOT covered under warranty. "

I don't feel bad for you, I haven't lost any respect for JL Audio or their quality, IN FACT, its customers like you trying to go around the system to get a repaired speaker costing the rest of us more money. You should have taken my advice or the others offered. 1200 WATTS to a 10" is just DUMB. Like the quote above says, gain in decibels MAY increase by 2. Would it be worth for 2 decibels????? Good luck, man and I hope you learned from this.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Rollin to GT in da CL

The voice coil isnt burnt out??? The surround got ripped, and infact HIFIBUYS told me that it wasnt the amount of watts that ripped it either...they told me theyve hooked up bigger amps to that 10 without any problems...and i was asking how much it costs to fix this...and wondering if anyone could help me out...i dont know where that response came from...i was lookin to get helped out from yall and you come and attack me...what is that about. And i love JL audio...i know i messed up...ive had 3 different JL systems, so im not saying JL sucks...AT ALL...was just wondering if anyone had any damn info or a hookup...i really wasnt lookin for sympathy...ANYWAYS...ANYONE GOT INFO AND NOT A CRITICISM!
Old 03-02-2003, 04:21 PM
I hand out swivel heads

Wasnt trying to sound that harsh, just...I sat there reading your post and couldnt help but think how dumb that was to try and push the sub past its limits despite what HIFIBUYS has said about its performance. And your right the voice coils aren't burnt out, but "mechanical failure" from the excessive power may have occurred, thus allowing the surround to rip. But, like I said, good luck; no hard feelings.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:35 PM
East Coast Boost.!

AcurajL OWNZ JD22CL
Old 03-02-2003, 08:33 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think those subs ar meant to have replacable surrounds and cones...look at the way you have to mount them.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

use nail polish