HELP!!! PROBLEMS with Navi conversion!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 09:44 PM
dynamic Duo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! PROBLEMS with Navi conversion!!

This is a direct copy from what I posted in the CL site, but just thought I'd post it here as well.

Damn, I'm happy that I'm done, but mega problems with it!!

1 - When using a Playstation 2, the screen isn't centered. Its shifted .5cm to the right.

2- The Green signal from BOTH Navi and AVC/playstation randomly go out. Result: a thick saturated RED color on the screen, but Green randomly comes back on again.

3- Looking CLOSELY at the screen, I can see high-frequency wave patterns running vertically.

4- Whether I'm in accessory mode or Engine-On, when I apply the brake, the screen flickers (AVC only, not Navi)

5- Overall, a little fuzzy. Quality not that good.

I need HELP! Cuz man, this is bad.
Here's my setup:
--------------------------------
I have an ON-ON switch next to steering wheel which runs to trunk. This is connected to a 4PDT 12V step relay. RGBC wires were tapped from behind REAR-LEFT seat, then wired down into bottom of trunk. both AVC-RGB1 and relay lie next to spare tire.

Anyone got any insights on this? I'm gonna be using my friend's garage tomorrow to recheck wiring, but just wondering if you guys could help me out on anything else in the mean time...

thanks guys. -Andy
Old 03-05-2002, 11:36 PM
Instructor

The right shift has been noted by others after the modification. I haven't been able to determine if it's because different AVC-RGB1's cause the shift by verying degrees or it's how each Alpine's LCD controller treats the RGB input.

The other problems you mention could be a wiring fault or interferance. Since you are interupting the video signal(s) with a 4PDT relay, I take you you have no unshielded extension wires, correct? What about between the AVC-RGB1 and relay?

These are things to check. The shift to green might be copy protection from the PS2. Other PS2 owners would know that... Otherwise recheck your red wire connections (green signal on red wire).

VideoNavi - The creator of this monster (oh, I mean mod!).
Old 03-06-2002, 04:35 AM
dynamic Duo!

Steve, thanks for the input.

All wires are shielded, from the interrupt in the back seat, to relay, and avc to relay.

yeah, i'm just gonna check the simple connections agian. i really hope its just a loose wire.

but how about running signal wires too close to power lines? i know it is critical NOT to do this when dealing with high current audio, but for video... it shouldn't matter much right?

i'm checking the connections tomorrow. i'll let you guys know if anything goes wrong again... (hopefully not) well thanks anyway
Old 03-06-2002, 01:23 PM
Pro

hey andy....

i get the .5cm shift to the right with my ps1. but when i use a vcr or a dvd player its gone...so i think its just the playstation.

dang sorry to hear that you havent fixed it yet. hope its just a loose connection or something. check your soldering.
try using a home vcr or dvd player....but plug the power to a home wall socket....and see how that looks and sounds.
i found that using a power converter affects the sound quality with the fm modulator. Other wise the fm modulator works great. so after you fix it...and if your gonna use the ps2 for you main video source do what asiankid did. ps2 conversion here

anyways....good luck and let us know
Old 03-07-2002, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey andy,,,

I had the same problem with my green signal before too...it was a loose connection on the telephone butt connector I used....It went on and off and I eventually pulled at it a lit bit and it came out. Replaced it and reconnected it.

You should try hooking another video source to the avc to see if you have the same problem afterwards...just to isolate the ps2 from the system. If it looks good. Try the ps2 powered froman outside source. If that looks good...try the ps2 power conversion that veilstyle posted....

since I'm pretty sure that I'm the one that gotcha the avc I have another one with the wires attached if you want to try that one...just pm me...

good luck
Old 03-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
check all your soldering points on the AVC-RGB1 converter board.

i have the frequency lines on my screen too. no biggie

PS2 on the screen isnt centered, but DVD players and movies are. i guess it's the games resolution or something.

as far as the weird braking problem, i have no idea on that one.

and the screen is fuzzy to you? :wow: my PS2 is sharp as hell on that screen!

Old 03-07-2002, 08:34 PM
dynamic Duo!

Oh Peter! whats up man...

yeah, thanks for the input. well I'm startin to think that the problem might be in the relay... because its not just green that goes out anymore.

the 4pdt relay is a radio shack brand... its like 6 bucks. but it meets the spec. 3amps at 12Vdc.. so i gave it a shot, and it worked, so i kept it... and these problems didn't start to show up until recently. the thing is, the 12V switch i made (on the front console), if i keep turning the relay on and off, it eventually goes back to normal the colors come back on. Well, I dunno.
just a little busy with finals coming up and stuff, can't really find a good time to spend debugging my setup.
but hey, i still got your number, i'll give you a call sometime.

oh and simon, yeah, once i get this working, let me in on some good dvd players. i'm also startin to think that maybe using the ps2 on the power inverter might be causing the video interference. i'll try isolating the power like you said. but i'll let you guys know.

thanks guys. -andy
Old 03-08-2002, 07:46 PM
Pro

pete is hella helpful huh? he always helps me out...thanks pete~
btw i got the burned VCD working...its so dope watching the music videos while listening to the songs.

and if it wasnt for Typesdragoon's and steve's instructions i wouldnt have got this.....THANKS GUYS~

anyways....andy i got the blaupunkt dvd player like petes....looks and works the best for the price~ i love it. call me anytime when you want it.

good luck on yours...let us know how it turns out~ laters