Help: Discouraged with failed Polk DX6 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help: Discouraged with failed Polk DX6 upgrade

I just purchased 4 Polk DX6 speakers from kent_99TL for $100, which include the Southbound Mod - thanks James!

I attempted to remove the driver rear door first, thinking this is the place least likely to have a passenger, so if I screw up, it'll be less noticable.

I followed the picture directions in the DIY section for removing door trim - WOW - removing the rear door trim is very difficult - I couldn't find a clip to remove for the power window wires - thus I couldn't remove the door trim - it was hanging by the wires. Made it very difficult to remove the bose speaker and unclip it from the housing.

Next I realized that trimming the housing will be a chore - time to get a dremel methinks - and soldering two wires to the Polk DX6, with the door trim in the way (power window wires) is gonna be fun. I think it will take me 2-3 hours for each of the back door speaker replacements....

Can anyone out there encourage me to continue with this? I'm starting to think the stock Bose speakers aren't sounding too bad at this point...

Are the front doors easier? Should I just replace the front two? Is there anyone in the Dallas area who would be able to do all this work for a reasonable price? Maybe I've just bitten off more than I can chew...

Cheers!

Jay
Old 01-31-2004, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Bring your car to Austin, TX. I'm down here for school. I can take your back door off in 5 seconds and give me another 5 secs, I'll unhook that wires back there for you...It's a piece of cake!!

As for the plastic basket for your speaker, a good, sharp knife will do....give me 3 mins (gotta go slow on this one so I don't cut myself). I can drink beers with you for the other 2.5 hrs...
Old 01-31-2004, 09:23 PM
Drifting

bro...i know how you feel...im the king of screwing up diy.....taking me a week to wire up a alpine navi, headunit, cd changer and screen....ive already ran into several set backs...stripped screw on the stock radio...so i had to take apart the whole dash and take and take out the stock radio with the brackets and take a saw to it...thats just the most recent screw up...

ive had plenty....dont give up dood...just try try and try agian until you finnally mess up a burn up your cars electrical system

ps...ive already poped a fuse... ive got 2 batteries and to lazy to disconnect them both