Help!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006 | 04:38 PM
Racer

Help!!!!!!!!!

Ok here is my problem. Today I turned on my car and everything came on except for the Sub (Kicker L7 2006 Model). So I looked at the Mono block amp that is pushing the sub and I saw that the power light was on. So I know that there is power going to the amp that is powering the sub. So I took out my multimeter (I only know how to use basic functions so please correct me of I did something wrong) and I turned it to the part where the ohms icon is. I put the negative on the negative terminal of the mono block and the positive on the positive for the speaker outputs to verify the amp was not shot. I got some numbers to register on the multimeter. So I think it’s the sub. So I take out the sub out of the enclosure and I don’t really smell anything burnt just a little odd smell I don’t know. So to further test I took one of the speaker outputs from my 4 channel amp and put it on the sub to see if I could even hear a little bit of words and nothing came out. So I think the sub is toast. I don’t have another sub to test to put on there. So is there a way to test the sub? I just wanna test it before I go ahead and call Kicker and send it back. I just don’t want to deal wit the hassle of sending the sub to kicker getting a replacement then still not getting any bass from the new sub. So any input will greatly be appreciated...and sorry for the long post .. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2006 | 05:13 PM
VP Electricity

Long posts are great... but use the Return key occasionally.

Originally Posted by dabusabus1
Ok here is my problem. Today I turned on my car and everything came on except for the Sub (Kicker L7 2006 Model). So I looked at the Mono block amp that is pushing the sub and I saw that the power light was on. So I know that there is power going to the amp that is powering the sub.
Yes, but it could be in low-voltage protection, we don't know.

So I took out my multimeter (I only know how to use basic functions so please correct me of I did something wrong) and I turned it to the part where the ohms icon is. I put the negative on the negative terminal of the mono block and the positive on the positive for the speaker outputs to verify the amp was not shot. .
Good... but was the speaker disconnected from the amplifier?

And what WERE the numbers?

So I think it’s the sub.
BUt we don't know...

So I take out the sub out of the enclosure and I don’t really smell anything burnt just a little odd smell I don’t know. So to further test I took one of the speaker outputs from my 4 channel amp and put it on the sub to see if I could even hear a little bit of words and nothing came out. So I think the sub is toast. I don’t have another sub to test to put on there. So is there a way to test the sub?
You just did. The only thing you need to test is the connection from the box to the woofer terminals. If the wire has just fallen off of one end, that would be embarrassing.
Old 10-31-2006 | 05:28 PM
Racer

It def was not in low voltage mode because the green light would have turned red.

Yes, why was i supposed to live it connected?

I dont know the exact numbers but it fluctuated. as i turned up the volume the numbers grew larger and when i turned the system off the number equaled 1.

You just did. The only thing you need to test is the connection from the box to the woofer terminals. If the wire has just fallen off of one end, that would be embarrassing.

I just did what? i tested from the amp and from the speaker terminals in the box...sorry i forgot to mention that earlier.
Old 10-31-2006 | 05:44 PM
Racer

Sorry i realized i forgot to quote what u asked.

It def was not in low voltage mode because the green light would have turned red.

Yes, why was i supposed to leave it connected?

I dont know the exact numbers but it fluctuated. as i turned up the volume the numbers grew larger and when i turned the system off the number equaled 1.

I just did what? i tested from the amp and from the speaker terminals in the box...sorry i forgot to mention that earlier.
Old 11-01-2006 | 03:57 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

the fact that you only heard a little bit of words coming from the sub may not be an issue since your sub may not be able to handle upper freq. sounds. you should really just borrow a sub from someone or just buy one from bestbuy and return it when you're done using it for testing (since all you're doing is hooking up wires it shouldn't be tough to keep it in good condition if you get one from BB or CC).

sounds like your sub is on but what you should do anyway is turn your multimeter onto the Volts DC function and check the power, ground and remote wires anyway. you never know.

SSTS

oh, ps - are you sure some one wasn't screwing with your stereo settings?
Old 11-01-2006 | 05:35 PM
Scru U guyz, Im Goin Home

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
just buy one from bestbuy and return it when you're done using it for testing (since all you're doing is hooking up wires it shouldn't be tough to keep it in good condition if you get one from BB or CC).

DIY, System diagnostic:
step 1: Scam Best Buy....

As much as i hate BB, thats just wrong.
Old 11-01-2006 | 06:22 PM
VP Electricity

OK, here's your voltmeter problem.

YOu disconnected the speaker from the amp. Good.

But from what you describe, you tested the output of the amp, not the input to the speaker box.

Have a pro check it out.
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by elduderino
OK, here's your voltmeter problem.

YOu disconnected the speaker from the amp. Good.

But from what you describe, you tested the output of the amp, not the input to the speaker box.

Have a pro check it out.
actually i did test from inside the speaker box too, the acutal connections in the box comming from the amp connected to the box...thanks for everyone's sugestions...i sent the sub out to kicker today so hopefully i should have a new one in a week or two..
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
the fact that you only heard a little bit of words coming from the sub may not be an issue since your sub may not be able to handle upper freq. sounds. you should really just borrow a sub from someone or just buy one from bestbuy and return it when you're done using it for testing (since all you're doing is hooking up wires it shouldn't be tough to keep it in good condition if you get one from BB or CC).

sounds like your sub is on but what you should do anyway is turn your multimeter onto the Volts DC function and check the power, ground and remote wires anyway. you never know.

SSTS

oh, ps - are you sure some one wasn't screwing with your stereo settings?
Nope no one was messing with my stereo settings...i never let anyone touch it except for my self...and i have the Avic-z1 i checked everything. And as far as me hearing anything from the sub i didnt. In my first post i stated that i hooked it up to the four channel amp and i still didnt hear anything...maybe u just overlooked what i wrote but its cool. And Power grown and remote wire is not a issue because i know i was getting power to the amp.
Old 11-01-2006 | 11:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boku
DIY, System diagnostic:
step 1: Scam Best Buy....

As much as i hate BB, thats just wrong.
lol man f best buy...