Hacking Navi (continue)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Russians are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hacking Navi (continue)

I see that threads about hacking Navi DVD are dead. So I try to resurrect this discussion.

I found an utility (dumprom - http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/dumprom.html) that can extract files from ROM images. But unfortunately it does not work for our ROM image. So I have written my own utility. It extracts files and modules from *.bin file from Navi DVD. Extracting files works fine. Extracting modules works too, at least IDA(interactive disassembler that supports SH4 among with other CPU) accept them.
So now you can do reverse engineering if you want.

http://home.earthlink.net/~akonshin/...unpackNavi.zip

Just unpack it in some directory, put *.bin file to that directory then run unpack.bat
It should create subdirectories "Files" and "Modules".

Sorry for my terrible English.
The following users liked this post:
abcman (01-20-2015)
Old 10-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Still here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you just need to write something that puts them back after I modify them

Nice job on the program!
Old 10-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by e_lectro
Now you just need to write something that puts them back after I modify them
I am working on it. For files it is easy but for modules it may require some non-trivial actions, especially if chaged segment is compressed. I am still not sure that I treat modules correctly.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
is there a way you can make a image of what you retrieve and make a duplicate without modifing the data?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Do you ever worry that the Acura software :cop: might be onto you?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:50 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
damn you hackers....I requested this before...Please hack into the Navi with a screen saver of Anna Kournikova. I will gladly pay $$$ for that version!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by savage
is there a way you can make a image of what you retrieve and make a duplicate without modifing the data?
The problem is that navi DVD is double layer DVD. Despite the fact that there are a lot of DL DVD writers on market now I doubdt that navi DVD unit will accept our DVD because all those writers can write in DVD+R format only. But navi unit is produced in 2001 (or maybe earlier). So I think it does not support DVD+R (at least I don't see any reason to do it). If I am wrong then, of course, it will be much simplier just modify image and write it on the DVD.

My goal is to do all tricks without changing existing DVD. I think it is possible. During booting WinCE initializes devices and PCMCIA slot is one of them. I see that storage PC Cards are supported (BTW, it looks like it also supports some modems and network cards). Another way is to use COM-port to connect to navi from notebook or PDA via any terminal program. It looks like we can send commands to shell.exe (that always runs), for example, we can start processes that we can place on PCMCIA storage PC Card. If it is possible then we can do with navi whatever we want.
I also thought that we might get access via console driver but I found out that console.dll is missing in navi ROM.

BTW, I think my program extracts some modules incorrectly (at least nk.exe). I will try to fix it. But it works fine for other modules that I've tried to investigate and, of course for all files. Of course we have some sources for kernel in Windows CE SDK but I want to know which features are included in kernel of navi OS.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by khannie112
damn you hackers....I requested this before...Please hack into the Navi with a screen saver of Anna Kournikova. I will gladly pay $$$ for that version!!!

Why Anna? You are behind of life - now Masha Sharapova should be your favourite .
BTW, I am russian too.

BTW, replacing of this "screen saver" is relatively easy and can be done if we find the way to replace flash ROM image.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by biker
Do you ever worry that the Acura software :cop: might be onto you?
I am not going to change anything. I am just looking for some undocumented capabilities.
Anyway we bought this unit legally and we definitely will not use this unit and navi database outside our car .
Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Still here

Well, you might be right with the +/-R thing, but with bitsetting the readter will think it's -ROM.... so there is a good chance it will work. MY old Sony will not play +R, but it will play the bitset ones.

e_lectro
Old 10-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by e_lectro
Well, you might be right with the +/-R thing, but with bitsetting the readter will think it's -ROM.... so there is a good chance it will work. MY old Sony will not play +R, but it will play the bitset ones.
Hm. What do you mean by "bitset"? I have never heard about this. I have Lite-On DL DVD writer. Do you think it may work? I don't want to spend $10-$15 for a blank DL DVD disk while we are not sure that it works.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ak217

Why Anna? You are behind of life - now Masha Sharapova should be your favourite .
BTW, I am russian too.

BTW, replacing of this "screen saver" is relatively easy and can be done if we find the way to replace flash ROM image.
No Maria! i still love Anna and watching her on the Apprentice last night just strengthened my love for Anna! I am planning on doing away with Enrique pretty soon...hehe

Yeah, I'll definitely be following these posts and see if I can get Anna to boot up on my Navi everyday
Old 10-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Still here

Hm. What do you mean by "bitset"? I have never heard about this. I have Lite-On DL DVD writer. Do you think it may work? I don't want to spend $10-$15 for a blank DL DVD disk while we are not sure that it works.
Which Lite-On unit do you have? I have an 812S modified into an 832S so it can burn dual layer.

As far as bitsetting and what you can do with your burner, check out this forum:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44
Lot's of good information there
Old 10-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

I can't speak for the TSX one (becuase I have not bothered trying), but the 00 TL one will not work properly with a +DL. It will load, but it seems that it can't propperly read the 2nd layer of the disk so the maps don't really work. (I was trying to hack some of the files as well, which is why I was trying this).
I think a TSX might read a +DL, but I don't want to spend the $15 to figure it out since the older TL looks like I might be able to do some more interesting stuff with it.

W
Old 10-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Russians are coming

http://www.meritline.com/dl-dvd-r-du...ek-ridata.html
1 Pack Ritek Ridata DL DVD+R (Dual Layer, Double Layer) Blank Media 8.5GB 2.4X in Jewel Case, $9.99 Each
5 Pack Ritek Ridata DL DVD+R (Dual Layer, Double Layer) Blank Media 8.5GB 2.4X in Jewel Case, $9.50 Each

I think it is possible to load ROM from PC Storage card. Maybe we don't even need to write our image on DVD.
I'm trying to to undertand how initialization of kernel works and where it is looking for the image.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Russians are coming

I beleive that we CAN replace flashROM using Storage(ATA) PC Card.
On some of diagnostic screens there are buttons "Load Disk" and "Load Card".
So I will try to use the second button. Unfortunately I have no any PC Card and even have no notebook to write it. But I have an idea. There are several PCMCIA<->flashCard adapters on the market and they are relatively cheap (about $15-$25). I have several flash card (for cameras) and two of mine home computers have slots for such cards. So I hope I can use adapter+flashCard instead of ordinal storage PC Card.

BTW, if you have never heard about "diagnostic sreens" then:
Simultaneously press the MENU, MAP GUIDE and CANCEL buttons and hold it for about 5 seconds to go to the "diagnostic screen".
While on the "diagnostic screen", press the MENU, MAP GUIDE and CANCEL buttons again and hold it for about 5 seconds to go to the "developer's screen".
Old 10-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Computer Nerd

I am not going to change anything. I am just looking for some undocumented capabilities.
Anyway we bought this unit legally and we definitely will not use this unit and navi database outside our car .
Plus the contract only says that we can't modify the DVD, it says nothing about adding things to the boot process, or envoking commands to run 3rd party code.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Computer Nerd

So if we can crack the main functions of the navi, can we change the voice protocols that the system follows??

eg: I say "what time is it" the navi responds "Look at the dash, you lazy asshole!"
Old 10-13-2004, 11:36 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Well done, ak217. Keep us posted. I may have a commercial output for your efforts.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Russians are coming

Originally Posted by jonnerd154
So if we can crack the main functions of the navi, can we change the voice protocols that the system follows??

eg: I say "what time is it" the navi responds "Look at the dash, you lazy asshole!"
It is not easy and I doubt that it worth the efforts. And it is definitely break the license agreement.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:01 PM
VP Electricity

I am more interested in the following:

Changing the OSD for when the SHOND3 adapter is active (getting rid of the Sony 10-disc info and replacing it with something more effective)

Enhancing XM Radio and iPod functionality.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Computer Nerd

Originally Posted by elduderino

Changing the OSD for when the SHOND3 adapter is active (getting rid of the Sony 10-disc info and replacing it with something more effective)

How about enabling the system to read ID3 tags from MP3s on the OEM mp3 player and displaying them on the navi's "Audio" screen??
Old 10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Russians are coming

Sorry, I really don't understand what are you talking about.
What is OSD and SHOND3?

About OEM mp3player:
I think it is impossible to read anything from OEM DVD player. Maybe I'm wrong.
My idea is to use compact flashes or external harddrives to store mp3 files and decode and play them directly on navi's processor. I believe it is powerful enough and can handle this load especially when navigation is off.

Actually I'm expirienced software developer but I am a novice in embeded systems, especially car systems. Even Windows CE and SuperH processor are new for me but as you see I learn them quikly. So maybe something is obvious for somebody but it does not for me.
I propose to cooperate.

I already bought CompactFlash<->PCMCIA adapter and I will test my idea about loading ROM image form PC Card maybe tomorrow.

Once again sorry for my English.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Master in Science

Sorry, I really don't understand what are you talking about.
What is OSD and SHOND3?
SHOND3 is a commercially available adaptor that allows people to hook up any auxiliary device to the Acura OEM stereo (including NAVI models) and listen to music on the car's speakers. NAVI models, however, require an extra cable from Honda.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Computer Nerd

[QUOTE=ak217]About OEM mp3player:
My idea is to use compact flashes or external harddrives to store mp3 files and decode and play them directly on navi's processor. I believe it is powerful enough and can handle this load especially when navigation is off.
QUOTE]

Damnit, I figured that. The MP3 player connects to the car with an inline bus, data comm must be rather restricted.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:37 AM
VP Electricity

[QUOTE=jonnerd154]
About OEM mp3player:
QUOTE]

Damnit, I figured that. The MP3 player connects to the car with an inline bus, data comm must be rather restricted.
Uh, the OE MP3 player connects with an FM fricking Modulator.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Still here

That's funny, then why does the OE MP3 player only come with one cable and it plugs into the data bus?

Now if you want to talk about the OE XM unit... I think that might be FM modulated.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Master in Science

That's not correct. It hooks up with a cable (included), as mentioned above by e_electro. The cable goes where the NAVI connects to the stereo. The NAVI cable then connects to the player.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:20 PM
VP Electricity

Smoking cheap dope... my apologies. Damn anti-nausea meds...

Sorry...my bad.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:08 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I already bought CompactFlash<->PCMCIA adapter and I will test my idea about loading ROM image form PC Card maybe tomorrow.

Once again sorry for my English.
Hey ak217,

I've got an 04 TL Navi. I wanted the Acura logo to be a Honda logo instead. All you have to do to load an image is copy all the BIN files to a CDR. Boot up with the CDR. Once you get a message, hit the Map + Menu + Cancel. Go into Version and select Load from Disc. That will force a software download.

Just make sure you have all the BIN files on the CDR. There should be 5 large 13mb BIN files and one small 78k BIN file. Give that a try.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:19 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Hey guys, I don't have a navi, but a co-worker in the US does and I have a question on his behalf.

Is there anyway to hack it to speak in a mans voice? He would prefer something very deep and raspy.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:37 PM
DIY Mad Scientist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that the TL version has both Male and Female option. Not sure about the TSX or Accord versions...
Old 10-15-2004, 01:44 PM
A Commuter

Originally Posted by lithiumus
I believe that the TL version has both Male and Female option. Not sure about the TSX or Accord versions...
i can choose between female or male voice on my navi~
Old 10-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Russians are coming

Hey ak217,

I've got an 04 TL Navi. I wanted the Acura logo to be a Honda logo instead. All you have to do to load an image is copy all the BIN files to a CDR. Boot up with the CDR. Once you get a message, hit the Map + Menu + Cancel. Go into Version and select Load from Disc. That will force a software download.

Just make sure you have all the BIN files on the CDR. There should be 5 large 13mb BIN files and one small 78k BIN file. Give that a try.
I don't understand. Have you ever try it or it is just your guess?
Yes, I think it will work. At least I have not found anithing that could prevent it. Now I know how WinCE loader works.

I did not tried my new flash card yet because yesterday I was busy - I bought a new car for my wife - Toyota Prius, of course with navi, seaside blue, but I will get it this Monday. So I will have yet another toy
I hope I will try to load new image this weekend.
I am writing an utility that can add/replace files (and in the future - patch modules) on Windows CE rom image.
What size of navi flash? I mean what is the maximum size of image that we can write to it?
It looks like it is 16M. So we have about 3M for our stuff. Not too bad.

So, khannie112, which picture of Anna Kournikova are you prefer?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Computer Nerd

Hey ak217,

where do I put the image?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Instructor

I would love to have Homer Simpson's voice on the navi if I make a wrong turn! That would be awesome!
Old 10-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by nahooneyya
i can choose between female or male voice on my navi~
I had the male voice once, but my wife though it was :ghey:
Old 10-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Computer Nerd

Originally Posted by humperdood
I would love to have Homer Simpson's voice on the navi if I make a wrong turn! That would be awesome!

HAHAHAHA...

DOH! Mash the navi screen with your fat finger to recalculate the route.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Any updates ak? Any luck with putting a new image up?

I would love to be able to hack this thing.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Instructor

Can't you just modify the voice commands by taking the navigation DVD out of the trunk player, putting it into your computer, finding the voice files, recording another voice with the same file name, and saving it on a disc?

I would like to have Homer's voice on the navigation prompts. How awesome would that be?

Quick Reply: Hacking Navi (continue)