Got new subs today (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got new subs today (pics)

well some subs i had ordered for my wife's Accord Coupe came in today. To bad she won't be getting them. . . ever. They are two EU-700's in about .94 cu ft ported. For those not Familiar with Elemental Designs it is their new 7" sub. Let me just say now I have the smallest subs here and I would put these up against almost any 10 or 12 in a sealed box. I mean they are just amazing how low they can go and how loud they get. I highly suggest getting these for anyone looking for some good bass in a tiny box. Especially if you are on a tight budget. Retail is about 85 per plus shipping although at last check they were selling for 50 plus shipping.

Check out this LINK for the pics since I can't seem to get the pics to ever show right here.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they made to be mounted upside down or something?

They look pretty cool though. I would be very interested to hear what they sound like.

And why won't wifey be getting them?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott P
it is their new 7" sub... I would put these up against almost any 10 or 12 in a sealed box... they were selling for 50 plus shipping.

For some reason I have a hard time believing a 50 dollar 7" sub can be comptetitive against even an average 10" or 12".
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Originally Posted by BEETROOT

For some reason I have a hard time believing a 50 dollar 7" sub can be comptetitive against even an average 10" or 12".
trust me I bought them to be used as the mibbass in an active 3 way for the TL. I joking desided to try them in the ported box just to see what I could get out of them. Now I have only been in the car audio business for about 6 years, but two of my co workers have been doing this for over 20 years each, and the initial reaction was the same as mine. "There is no way those little things are creating this sound." It was truly an unbelievable amount of bass. I straight up took the 12 out of the trunk and I am only running these right now, and i have no intention of taking them out. Now don't get me wrong there are definately 10's and 12's out there that would crush these, but I would seriously put money on it that i can out perform, both in sq and spl, the vast majority of the subs on the market with these. As for cost, anyone familiar with ED, knows they tend to max out the perfomance vs cost ratio. If I can get ahold of a meter i'll defenately jump at the opportunity to see what these are putting out numbers wise. But to my ear they easily, and I stress easily, out perform the ED 12k I had in here before, and most of the subs I sell on a daily basis.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:17 PM
El Presidente

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
finally an uber "bang for ur buck" sub
Old 07-25-2005, 11:49 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Glad they do so well for ya... but it looks like they shoulda used spade connectors : )
Old 07-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
trust me I bought them to be used as the mibbass in an active 3 way for the TL. I joking desided to try them in the ported box just to see what I could get out of them. Now I have only been in the car audio business for about 6 years, but two of my co workers have been doing this for over 20 years each, and the initial reaction was the same as mine. "There is no way those little things are creating this sound." It was truly an unbelievable amount of bass. I straight up took the 12 out of the trunk and I am only running these right now, and i have no intention of taking them out. Now don't get me wrong there are definately 10's and 12's out there that would crush these, but I would seriously put money on it that i can out perform, both in sq and spl, the vast majority of the subs on the market with these. As for cost, anyone familiar with ED, knows they tend to max out the perfomance vs cost ratio. If I can get ahold of a meter i'll defenately jump at the opportunity to see what these are putting out numbers wise. But to my ear they easily, and I stress easily, out perform the ED 12k I had in here before, and most of the subs I sell on a daily basis.

Wow...I'm intrigued. I've been trying to figure out the route on want to take on putting a sub in my s2k, a 7" sub that sounds good would be perfect. Any recommendations on where to buy?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:12 AM
El Presidente

Wow...I'm intrigued. I've been trying to figure out the route on want to take on putting a sub in my s2k, a 7" sub that sounds good would be perfect. Any recommendations on where to buy?

i was just about to post about that, i remember you were lookin' for somethin for ur S2K and was havin' space issues. I wonder if they would sound good in a sealed enclosure?
Old 07-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Audio Enthusiast

Let us know if you go through with it. I'm a little skeptical myself.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:22 AM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
edesignaudio.com
Old 07-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Racer

Hye quick question, Since its s 7" woulf they be ok if they replace the STOCK sub that we have in there. I mean peopl weere puttin the *" kickers in there a couple of years back and it kinda went away. They went with beause it was thin and 8" so this looks pretty thin and its 7". It if knocks like you said it does, what about replaing the stock sub with this one? WOuld that be ok?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:13 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by SLAMMED_WDP_TLS
Hye quick question, Since its s 7" woulf they be ok if they replace the STOCK sub that we have in there. I mean peopl weere puttin the *" kickers in there a couple of years back and it kinda went away. They went with beause it was thin and 8" so this looks pretty thin and its 7". It if knocks like you said it does, what about replaing the stock sub with this one? WOuld that be ok?

im not sure if that would work. it would depend whether or not these were made for "Free-air" applications or not, i dont think u'd be a ble to make a box hangin' off the rear dahs, that wouldnt be too practicle either.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

to those who doubt the capabilities, here is a good point of reference for you. 3 6 mafia Late night tip, cranked up set off my wifes car alarm 4 spaces down from me. I am just amazed, quite tempted to get 2 more and compete.

As for stock sub replacement: They are free air capable, and in theory can play up to 1000 hz. they are a touch over 3.5" deep though and to be honest i've never measured the depth of the stock sub.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM
El Presidente

to those who doubt the capabilities, here is a good point of reference for you. 3 6 mafia Late night tip, cranked up set off my wifes car alarm 4 spaces down from me. I am just amazed, quite tempted to get 2 more and compete.

As for stock sub replacement: They are free air capable, and in theory can play up to 1000 hz. they are a touch over 3.5" deep though and to be honest i've never measured the depth of the stock sub.

the stock sub is like a frisbee, i think its like 2 inches or so, matter of fact hold on while i measure mine, its on my desk
Old 07-26-2005, 10:00 PM
El Presidente

i was close, it was about 2.5 inches
Old 07-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Mazda=redneckricer

There's a shop in DC (Daly City) that makes a great fiberglass enclosure for the s2k. The shops called Motor Music, Ed Ng was the owner untill recently but i think all the installers are still there. They were featured in Mobile Electronics a couple of months ago for the work they do for the s2k boards.

Expensive but awsome performence
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 PM
El Presidente

^ that looks wikid
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 PM
Instructor

slammes, the eu700's are designed to do sealed, ported and free air. go easy on the power free air though, 100 watts each should be plenty (sealed according to the ed forum can handle 150 watts each or so, ported should be similar with an active high pass below the tuning frequency). jps
Old 07-27-2005, 07:49 PM
El Presidente

Originally Posted by jpswanberg
slammes, the eu700's are designed to do sealed, ported and free air. go easy on the power free air though, 100 watts each should be plenty (sealed according to the ed forum can handle 150 watts each or so, ported should be similar with an active high pass below the tuning frequency). jps

yeah looks like it might be worthin tryin
Old 07-30-2005, 06:10 AM
Racer

Interesting. I might just. Hey I dont think it would hurt to venture into something different. Just hard to find a good price and decent shop in sactown. Dark, you mention that shop, your friends friend. I kno they do good work but damn WAAAYYY too expensive. He was like u gotta frop $5000 for us to even TOUCH your trunk. I said thanks and goocbye in one sentence.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Racer

sorry 2 step question, one if I try to replace this sub with the stock. Would I need an aftermarket amp? If so How much watts should I feed it. Also, if these are as nice as Scott P you say they are, well I might just pick 3 up for my girl since her b day is comig up and twhat kinda amp would you recommend to fire 3 of those baby up and also how much watts. Thanks! I have to get hese before they 1at since that is when the sale end so I hope someone can respond QUICK!!!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Mobile Elec. Guru

It's been really busy at our shop here, so I haven't really had time to sit down and see how others are fairing with these speakers. I will say that I am hooked, they just get better and better as they get broken in. Not to mention the coolness factor of popping the trunk and showing 2 6.5" subs. Anyway it depends on what kind of setup you are going to have them in but anything from about 150-250 per speaker is optimal.