TSX: this is going to be my system soon [SUGGESTION!] THANKS!

Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is going to be my system soon [SUGGESTION!] THANKS!

heyyy guys, im looking to improve my 2005tsx+navigation music system sometime real soon. Here is a list of items that im going to buy. Anyways i wonder if the rockford 4 gauge dual amp wiring kit is going to be enough for both amps and do i need a new set of rca wire for my 4 channel amp?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Rockford-Fos...item5d2fa43cb0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KAC-9105...item20bb69849e

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-X600F-4-...item20bb803a7a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bullz-Audio-BCAP...item3f0c1386fb

yup and im not ready to upgrade the speakers yet. if you guys have any suggestions please feel free to suggest me. I would like the speakers that do not have too much treble and if they would sound as much as close to the stock speakers. thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Complete fail of choices.
The following users liked this post:
wong05tsx (07-31-2011)
Old 07-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by on1wheel01
Complete fail of choices.
reasons?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
The kenwood amps are cool

The 4 ch is one of the gems in their line up. The mono, not so much. Can probably get cleaner power @ the same price point with ppi and soundstream

What's your goal and budget
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
The kenwood amps are cool

The 4 ch is one of the gems in their line up. The mono, not so much. Can probably get cleaner power @ the same price point with ppi and soundstream

What's your goal and budget
whats your suggestion of brand for the mono amp? my budget is 200 max. My sub is a jbl that my homie already has that hes going to give me. i think its around 400 watts rms? also here are the speakers that im planning to get. i already tried polk audio db series 6501 and i didnt really like them thats why im changing to kenwood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KFC-X173...item53e8504286
Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Drifting

get the matching kenwood mono
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-X1200M-M...ht_2184wt_1163

Ditch the kenwood speakers

what's your budget for speakers?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Eggy may be blunt but he's also correct.

You don't need or want a cap at these levels. And if you ever buy a cap, buy a good brand name model because there is a huge difference in the quality from this type of brand and say Streetwires when it comes to stiffening capacitors.

Your wiring kit brand choice is top notch, but the amp level you are playing at won't tolerate 8 gauge wire to them. 4 gauge is what you want.

Might I suggest either the Cadence 1/0 dual amp kit on Amazon or go here and build your own out of extremely high quality pure copper welding cable: http://www.wireandsupply.com/www_wir...2_htm_s/22.htm
Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Pro

Did a bit more research, found these

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...y-cone-woofer/

which would be a great woofer, and in madisound there are a great number of good quality tweeters as well.

And for an amp, get the X4R Kenwood if you can find it, which is an active amp. That way you can run full active front stage w/ those Peerless and a quality tweeter. Doing it DIY will smoke just about anything the car audio companies can offer up short of $500+ sets.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Isn't the x4r the slim one that didn't have the dsp?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Pro

The X4R is the DSP model (hard to find but out there), and the XR4S is the "new" one that is small, great, but not DSP equipped.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by fourthmeal
Did a bit more research, found these

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...y-cone-woofer/

which would be a great woofer, and in madisound there are a great number of good quality tweeters as well.

And for an amp, get the X4R Kenwood if you can find it, which is an active amp. That way you can run full active front stage w/ those Peerless and a quality tweeter. Doing it DIY will smoke just about anything the car audio companies can offer up short of $500+ sets.
thanks alot for the speaker suggestion fourthmeal! anyways i would like to know why you would suggest me those woofer + madisound tweeters over the kenwood's ones? yup and im only looking for quality and not insane loudness (: . im still really noob at car's audios, please dont be hesitate to educate me. thanks!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Drifting

output isnt a concern?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:44 PM
Cruisin'

get the matching kenwood mono
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-X1200M-M...ht_2184wt_1163

Ditch the kenwood speakers

what's your budget for speakers?
so is it better to get amps with rms wattage power a lot higher than the subwoofer? my speaker budget is 200 max bro.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Cruisin'

output isnt a concern?
what output are you suggesting at?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

ohh yeahhh btw, isnt my the amp 4x channel amp that i chose is a lot stronger than the x4r or is there something better in the x4r?
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by itsadannfooo
thanks alot for the speaker suggestion fourthmeal! anyways i would like to know why you would suggest me those woofer + madisound tweeters over the kenwood's ones? yup and im only looking for quality and not insane loudness (: . im still really noob at car's audios, please dont be hesitate to educate me. thanks!

The best way I can educate you is to guide you here www.bcae1.com for basic knowledge.

As far as why to use tweeters and woofers actively vs. a prebuilt passive component set... well basically component sets are built to a price point and corner cutting is needed until you start playing around with $500+ component sets. With DIY stuff, there may be more experimenting, more testing, more tuning, and yes you may even need to try different products to find what is perfect for you. BUT, there is no real corner cutting, and you can buy what is optimal for your budget AND your performance needs at a much lower cost. DIY home audio stuff works GREAT in the car, provided it isn't uncoated paper of course (moisture being a huge issue in car doors.)

There is also the issue of crossovers. There are active, and passive. Passive crossovers are those little boxes of electronics you see packaged with component sets. This part right here actually matters a LOT, but most brands cut corners here the most because they are not usually seen or thought about. Those electronics take the signal from an amp and "cross" the high frequencies to the tweeters, and lows to the woofers. Doing this passively takes extra power and causes distortion, especially when they cheap out on the parts. I assure you, unless a component set costs you more than about $300 minimum, they are cheaping out BIG time here. Active systems on the other hand will run the crossovers BEFORE amplification. You can have active crossovers in the head unit, a processor, or sometimes in an amp itself. They aren't really that common if you look at all the brands and all the options, HOWEVER in sound quality competitions you'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle without one. The reason is that when set up properly an active-crossed system has less distortion, more power handling, and much better sound quality than a passive setup, dollar for dollar.

The X4R kenwood is a special amp. IF you can find one for a fair price, it will be one of the best amps you ever touch. Reason? It has a high technology digital signal processor with active crossovers, AND time alignment built right in. It was way ahead of its time, and Kenwood really needs to bring it back ASAP. You can alternately buy a processor and run that signal from the head unit to the processor, and then from the processor to the amps of your choice. That's the typical way to do it.

Now we haven't even covered time alignment, or DSP tech. Before I do that, let's see if you can even find an X4R. They are getting more rare by the day. I do regret ever selling mine but it was a condition of selling the vehicle it was in. They liked the sound system too much for me to pull it out, and offered 2k over book value for the system.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

The best way I can educate you is to guide you here www.bcae1.com for basic knowledge.

As far as why to use tweeters and woofers actively vs. a prebuilt passive component set... well basically component sets are built to a price point and corner cutting is needed until you start playing around with $500+ component sets. With DIY stuff, there may be more experimenting, more testing, more tuning, and yes you may even need to try different products to find what is perfect for you. BUT, there is no real corner cutting, and you can buy what is optimal for your budget AND your performance needs at a much lower cost. DIY home audio stuff works GREAT in the car, provided it isn't uncoated paper of course (moisture being a huge issue in car doors.)

There is also the issue of crossovers. There are active, and passive. Passive crossovers are those little boxes of electronics you see packaged with component sets. This part right here actually matters a LOT, but most brands cut corners here the most because they are not usually seen or thought about. Those electronics take the signal from an amp and "cross" the high frequencies to the tweeters, and lows to the woofers. Doing this passively takes extra power and causes distortion, especially when they cheap out on the parts. I assure you, unless a component set costs you more than about $300 minimum, they are cheaping out BIG time here. Active systems on the other hand will run the crossovers BEFORE amplification. You can have active crossovers in the head unit, a processor, or sometimes in an amp itself. They aren't really that common if you look at all the brands and all the options, HOWEVER in sound quality competitions you'd be hard pressed to find a vehicle without one. The reason is that when set up properly an active-crossed system has less distortion, more power handling, and much better sound quality than a passive setup, dollar for dollar.

The X4R kenwood is a special amp. IF you can find one for a fair price, it will be one of the best amps you ever touch. Reason? It has a high technology digital signal processor with active crossovers, AND time alignment built right in. It was way ahead of its time, and Kenwood really needs to bring it back ASAP. You can alternately buy a processor and run that signal from the head unit to the processor, and then from the processor to the amps of your choice. That's the typical way to do it.

Now we haven't even covered time alignment, or DSP tech. Before I do that, let's see if you can even find an X4R. They are getting more rare by the day. I do regret ever selling mine but it was a condition of selling the vehicle it was in. They liked the sound system too much for me to pull it out, and offered 2k over book value for the system.
wow thanks fourthmeal, this really cleared out a lot of questions that i had toward car's system. anyways from what i've learned from reading what you wrote, does it mean i dont need crossovers since the x4r already have built in active crossovers and is better than the passive ones?? and from what i heard, digital sound processor main's job is to clean up the music and make it sounds a lot more clear?anyways how would i connect the tweeters to the woofers if there were no crossovers? last but not least, what would the woofers + the madisound tweeters be equivalent to the branded component speakers? please feel free to suggest me the tweeters or better woofers and my budget is around $100-$140 per set (: i only prefer in loud clean sound quality and not insane loudness. thanks again!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Pro

Does the TSX have built-in active processing? I need to learn the ins and outs of your system.

Also, where did you find an X4R?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Pro

OK I just researched your unit by looking at wiring diagrams. Your system is ACTIVE from the factory.

Hmm... maybe a JBL MS8 processor with built-in amplification and a modest set of amps.

I will work on this. Look here http://www..com/forums/1st-gen-elect...-2005-tsx.html
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

Does the TSX have built-in active processing? I need to learn the ins and outs of your system.

Also, where did you find an X4R?
i found an x4r on ebay for $150, it was already used for 2.5 years though :/
Old 08-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Cruisin'

OK I just researched your unit by looking at wiring diagrams. Your system is ACTIVE from the factory.

Hmm... maybe a JBL MS8 processor with built-in amplification and a modest set of amps.

I will work on this. Look here http://www..com/forums/1st-gen-elect...-2005-tsx.html
ohh woow the JBL MS8 is pretty pricey! >< anyways the link that you provided doesnt work :/
Old 08-03-2011, 09:19 PM
Pro

ohh woow the JBL MS8 is pretty pricey! >< anyways the link that you provided doesnt work :/

Heh, I f'd that link up somewhere.

The processor sells for around $450 used, and $500 new. I have FUNCTIONAL links for that http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...lay-model.html

Point is though, processors cost money. They do a LOT for you however.

Your car is different than what you are probably thinking. It has active crossovers onboard from the wiring diagrams I read. Its time to do more research on those who have gone before you, and see if there's a bit known about the system and how to integrate to it. FYI if you aren't getting loud, the internal amps in the MS8 are sufficient. In my Flex, I installed the MS8 to the active-crossed and processed stock Sony 11 speaker 7.1 surround system. It was a fun integration. I am currently powering the entire system (subs and all) with the processor as of now. It isn't my final system plan but until the fall (cooler weather makes doing custom audio work possible in Vegas), the system is for now perfectly functional and still louder than stock with those little 20w x 8 amps onboard the MS8.

Anyway, more research is necessary. Just buying an amp and adding components will likely end in disaster. This system is much more complex than that. Just like my Flex's system was.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The head unit has flat (no eq, filter, etc) balanced line level outs going to the OEM amp.

The JBL MS8 can accept these directly. There is no need to use the PAC device mentioned in the other DIY.

I highly recommend the MS8 as a starting point. It is designed to make your stock system sound drastically better without changing speakers.

You will be surprised what your stock speakers can do. You can always add power and change speakers later, but you must really do both at once to get a good result. Trying to drop in components to the stock audio system will sound horrible.

You really don't need to even get components and pay for the crossover that is included in the price. The MS8 can already do what it does and more, and if you do use a crossover board, you will limit the amount of improvement that can be made by the MS8.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by feuss2
The head unit has flat (no eq, filter, etc) balanced line level outs going to the OEM amp.

The JBL MS8 can accept these directly. There is no need to use the PAC device mentioned in the other DIY.

I highly recommend the MS8 as a starting point. It is designed to make your stock system sound drastically better without changing speakers.

You will be surprised what your stock speakers can do. You can always add power and change speakers later, but you must really do both at once to get a good result. Trying to drop in components to the stock audio system will sound horrible.

You really don't need to even get components and pay for the crossover that is included in the price. The MS8 can already do what it does and more, and if you do use a crossover board, you will limit the amount of improvement that can be made by the MS8.

Nice job on explaining that, I was looking everywhere to try to help out this fella, you dunked it.

I must agree, I still use my stock Flex speakers and the MS8, and man it sounds amazing. Its all in the processing, and if you can sneak a center channel in your car, the MS8 can use that to a huge advantage.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Cruisin'

Nice job on explaining that, I was looking everywhere to try to help out this fella, you dunked it.

I must agree, I still use my stock Flex speakers and the MS8, and man it sounds amazing. Its all in the processing, and if you can sneak a center channel in your car, the MS8 can use that to a huge advantage.
ohhh wooow feuss2 and fourthmeal, i really really appreciate your guys help! like what i've always love is home theater... a center speaker in a car would be incredible! anyways so heres my plan after reading your guys' advice. Buy the MS8 first and hook it to my stock speakers and try to get a center speaker if i ever could. Use it for a while then save money to buy an amp to hook up to my friend's JBL subwoofer. After that buy better speakers (madisound speakers+tweeters?) then try to get 1 more 4xchannel amp to pump up the speakers when i get more paycheck lol. Anyways from what i've learned from you guys, its possible that i can connect 2xamps + the MS8 to my car's system? and since if i already have the MS8, i dont need the kenwood x4r since the active crossover and DSP are not neccessary anymore? yup and the MS8 comes with an aux inputs which i wouldnt need to install the famous isimple aux which costs around 150 bucks right? a final question, when connecting the speakers to a 4x channel amp, do i need to directly connect the speakers to amp with speaker wires? or can i just connect the speakers to the car's speaker wires that are already on the car and they would transfer the power to the speakers? im still learning how to wire car systems (: anyways fourthmeal, you live in a very interesting city! i drive there sometimes from LA with my homies too. We went clubbing and gamble (:
Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Cruisin'

ohhh wooow feuss2 and fourthmeal, i really really appreciate your guys help! like what i've always love is home theater... a center speaker in a car would be incredible! anyways so heres my plan after reading your guys' advice. Buy the MS8 first and hook it to my stock speakers and try to get a center speaker if i ever could. Use it for a while then save money to buy an amp to hook up to my friend's JBL subwoofer. After that buy better speakers (madisound speakers+tweeters?) then try to get 1 more 4xchannel amp to pump up the speakers when i get more paycheck lol. Anyways from what i've learned from you guys, its possible that i can connect 2xamps + the MS8 to my car's system? and since if i already have the MS8, i dont need the kenwood x4r since the active crossover and DSP are not neccessary anymore? yup and the MS8 comes with an aux inputs which i wouldnt need to install the famous isimple aux which costs around 150 bucks right? a final question, when connecting the speakers to a 4x channel amp, do i need to directly connect the speakers to amp with speaker wires? or can i just connect the speakers to the car's speaker wires that are already on the car and they would transfer the power to the speakers? im still learning how to wire car systems (: anyways fourthmeal, you live in a very interesting city! i drive there sometimes from LA with my homies too. We went clubbing and gamble (:
im still doing research on car's amps and speakers!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Pro

Basically the MS8 will be your processor, you just need amps for getting louder than the MS8 will let you get. IMO, power it off the amps built in first, and then judge. I can get loud enough for just about anything except for showing off like a dick to someone in the car next to me, so for me the MS8 is doing its job incredibly well. They are not perfect, but they are damn good machines. Just get a warranty-equipped one because they can fail and if they do, you don't want to swallow a repair bill on your own. IMO, that link I gave you a while ago for one...that's legit. I frequent DIYMA forum and I trust that seller.

If you were to buy amp(s), I would start with one for the sub channel. Honestly that may be all you need. If you need more, it will probably come when you eventually swap out the stock speakers for better units (DIY home audio units!) and then recalibrate the MS8 to those new, better speakers. BTW a center channel, if there is not a space for one stock in your car, would be difficult. My Flex was blessed with a center so for me it was easy as connecting it. If you don't have the space, making space can be very difficult like not anywhere near a novice or amateur type of thing.

Just get 8 gauge (maybe 10) wire from the battery (fused at the battery) to the ms8, because it needs power just like an amp would. You can pre-install much larger wire if you like, and prepare a trunk setup to handle your future ideas, but that's up to you. I buy welding cable from this place, www.wireandsupply.com
Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Cruisin'

Basically the MS8 will be your processor, you just need amps for getting louder than the MS8 will let you get. IMO, power it off the amps built in first, and then judge. I can get loud enough for just about anything except for showing off like a dick to someone in the car next to me, so for me the MS8 is doing its job incredibly well. They are not perfect, but they are damn good machines. Just get a warranty-equipped one because they can fail and if they do, you don't want to swallow a repair bill on your own. IMO, that link I gave you a while ago for one...that's legit. I frequent DIYMA forum and I trust that seller.

If you were to buy amp(s), I would start with one for the sub channel. Honestly that may be all you need. If you need more, it will probably come when you eventually swap out the stock speakers for better units (DIY home audio units!) and then recalibrate the MS8 to those new, better speakers. BTW a center channel, if there is not a space for one stock in your car, would be difficult. My Flex was blessed with a center so for me it was easy as connecting it. If you don't have the space, making space can be very difficult like not anywhere near a novice or amateur type of thing.

Just get 8 gauge (maybe 10) wire from the battery (fused at the battery) to the ms8, because it needs power just like an amp would. You can pre-install much larger wire if you like, and prepare a trunk setup to handle your future ideas, but that's up to you. I buy welding cable from this place, www.wireandsupply.com
alright man, that cleared out my questions.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:57 AM

For install, you can keep the wires going to he MS8 really short and out of sight if you install under the passanger seat. Note: I have an '04 and power seats for passangers came later? This may not work for everyone...

First, it's mounted to a metal plate so it can hang upside down so the seat can still slide forward and back...

Then the plate is mounted to the underside on the seat.

Another view of the above.

I had already installed an amp to power my components. This is an Infinity Kappa FIVE - 4 50WRMS channels + a 300WRMS sub amp. Keeps it simple and clean, and hangs from the rear deck where the DVD drive would have if I had Navigation.

Note the Tang Band Free Air 6x9 Subs from Parts Express. Some cutting, grinding and drilling will be necessary if you want to go that route...

Configuration:

Ch1/2 - Front Dash Tweeters powered by MS8's internal power amp
Ch 3/4 - Front Mids in Door Panel - powered by Kappa 5 full range channels 1/2
Ch 5/6 - Rear Door Speakers - powered by Kappa 5 full range channels 3/4
Ch 7/8 - Sub1/Sub2 - rear 6x9's - powered by kappa 5's sub channel
Logic7 - ON
Old 08-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

woow.. pretty clean install bro. yeahhh my car is powered passenger seat so maybe i can just mount the MS8 on the floor under the seat. doesnt it messed up the balance of the sound by having the tweeters powered by MS8 and 4 speakers powered by an amp and have the sound quality reduces? thats from what i saw on jbl website.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Cruisin'

http://ms8.jbl.com/index.html#/ms-8-demo
Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 PM

woow.. pretty clean install bro. yeahhh my car is powered passenger seat so maybe i can just mount the MS8 on the floor under the seat. doesnt it messed up the balance of the sound by having the tweeters powered by MS8 and 4 speakers powered by an amp and have the sound quality reduces? thats from what i saw on jbl website.
No issues with the tweeters... The signal processing is done at line level, then goes to an amp - not sure what difference it makes if the amp is internal or external - still an amp.

If I put the ms8 on the floor under the seat, the rails under the seat would hit the ms8 if the seat was adjusted. This way it still moves with no issues

Last edited by feuss2; 08-06-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Cruisin'

alright man (: