general factory system question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
general factory system question

The factory system uses a power amplifier located in the trunk. The power amplifier's 26-pin connector contains input signals from the head unit and output signals to all of the speakers.

Does it seem resonable that the power amplifier input signals from the head unit are line-level signals (voltage but minimal current)?

Has anyone sucessfully used these assumed line-level signals from the factory head unit as inputs for aftermarket amplifiers? Has anyone ever checked to see what their output level is (RMS voltage)? If you have used the line-level signals from the factory head unit, did you purchase a connector that plugged into the head unit, did you cut into the wiring harness or something else?

My local car stereo shops want to sell me a speaker level converter but I am assuming that the input signals to the factory amplifier are line-level and not speaker level.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is line-level. We cut the wires and solder RCA cable to input and plug it aftermarket amps. So far no problem reported.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's just what I did. They are line level.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies SilverKnight and JasonT. Currently I am in no real rush to install my aftermarket equipment (waiting on warm weather) so I will continue to look for a 26-pin plug adaptor. Perhaps the same 26-pin connector used for the factory amplifier is common to other Acura/Honda systems.

I am curious to take some measurements on the factory system but am waiting on the availability of some test equipment. After I make some measurements then I will venture into replacing the factory equipment and then of course take measurements again to see if there are any differences.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Turn Signals are good!

use a line output converter or the speaker level inputs of an aftermarket amp. Just soldering RCA's to the output wires of the deck does not give you a clean signal. It sounds weird, but trust me... you will not be doing anything for yourself if you just wire the deck to the rca inputs of an amp. There is not enough signal comming from the deck.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

I beg to differ. Splicing the RCA'a on the CL-S radio is fine. Maybe not other honda/acura's, but the CL-S is fine. There is plenty of signal. I have the gain on my sub amp less then half way up. I get no distortion, or noise.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:23 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL
use a line output converter or the speaker level inputs of an aftermarket amp. Just soldering RCA's to the output wires of the deck does not give you a clean signal. It sounds weird, but trust me... you will not be doing anything for yourself if you just wire the deck to the rca inputs of an amp. There is not enough signal comming from the deck.
I usually agree with what you say, but this is an exception .

Well, our 2gen Pioneer stock head unit puts signals out at line level. These signals then go to stock Bloze amp. If you get the outputs the Bloze amp (with decent amount of noise) then feed them to line-level-converters (a little more noise added here) then feed it to aftermarket amp. Could you guess what you end up with?
Old 04-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Turn Signals are good!

Originally posted by SilverKnight

I usually agree with what you say, but this is an exception .

Well, our 2gen Pioneer stock head unit puts signals out at line level. These signals then go to stock Bloze amp. If you get the outputs the Bloze amp (with decent amount of noise) then feed them to line-level-converters (a little more noise added here) then feed it to aftermarket amp. Could you guess what you end up with?
well when I tried the stock deck to line level input setup, it sounded like shit. So I ran the line output of the deck to the speaker level inputs of the amps, and it sounded 100 times better.

I know what you'd end up with, some pretty noisy music! I would never go that route.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SumkidwithaCL

I know what you'd end up with, some pretty noisy music! I would never go that route.
Something is goofy here... mine is hooked up using the RCA method and it sounds TIGHT! Signal couldn't be any cleaner without replacing the factory headunit with something cleaner.

Been this way for a year now, and no problems whatsoever.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

SumkidwithaCL

What radio, for what year CL?