TL: The fight to save and keep the redheaded stepchild Center Channel Speaker

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
Thumbs up The fight to save and keep the redheaded stepchild Center Channel Speaker

As some of you know,
I've been dealing with a horrific alternator whine that stemmed from my OEM amp. Solution: buy another OEM amp to the tune of $240 with my friend's hookup...I friggin think not.

So I got the Audiocontrol matrix...manned up and learned how to solder and took signal from behind the headunit turned into RCA's into matrix down to aftermarket amps.

But with this setup and factory amp still hooked up you could:

A) Still here the alternator whine from the center channel"
B) Volume from the center channel powered by factory amp was negligible in comparison to 4 other channels and subs powered by aftermarket amps.

Solution:

I got creative and if others have thought this up before, then I won't try and take credit.

I bought one of these:
A $30 shipped ebay motorcycle/tiny 2 channel amp. Hooked up 1 channel run MONO thru my matrix (other side mono for the sub signal) and put to my factory center channel and it sounds great. Loud enough to balance out that empty sound space I felt there was without the center. If I blow the center, I'll pick up a set of decent ones on ebay for $20 but for now, I don't think I need it any louder or I think it'll overpower the L and R front channels.
This amp is only 4 inches by 3 by 1 so it EASILY fit in the OEM amp location. I used the OEM wiring, soldered...and voila. Got my goshdarned 5.1 back.

Now for the quest to borrow my stepdad's DVD-A's...

I'm happy.

Here's the link if anyone wants it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thought I'd share.
I don't know the mod rules on posting links to ebay or other sites, but I have nothing to gain and just sharing my idea.

Take care and Happy Christmas to all.

J.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:59 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
MODS: Can you change the title to something more along the lines of "Suggestion for keeping and amplifying the center channel, on a budget"...
Sometimes too creative a title gets no traffic. lol.