RDX: Every MP3 file on my thumb drive has two entries

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Every MP3 file on my thumb drive has two entries

Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) gently used 2013 G2 RDX Tech and as I have a large library of MP3s I wanted to make a thumb drive with some tunes.

I formatted the 8GB drive to FAT32 and copied the files over. No problem. Inserted it in the car and selected HDD/USB. It recognized the drive and showed me (and played) the music, no problem (we won't even start wondering what brand of drugs the software developer was on who designed that player!).

However, every file name appears twice. First it appears as it should, then it appears again as the next 'file' but the filename always starts with a period followed by an underscore, so for example '01 Waltz' followed by '02 ._Waltz' and so on. If you try and play the file that has the extra characters, it doesn't play and then after a brief pause it starts playing the 'real one'!

Does anyone else experience this, and if so, have they found the reason? (I should mention that I am a totally Apple household. iPhones, Macs, iPads, etc.) but as I formatted the thumb drive to FAT32 I can't see why that matters, especially as when I look at the contents of the drive, these 'phantom files' don't appear. I recognize it may be a Mac vs Windows thing but even then there should be a solution. I just haven't found it yet.

I've attached a picture of what I see onscreen.
Attached Thumbnails Every MP3 file on my thumb drive has two entries-acura.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:39 PM
5th Gear

I've solved the problem!

Turns out that if you copy a file with a Mac OS resource fork to a non-Mac volume, that resource fork is copied as a second file; for example, if a file named Song.mp3 has a Finder thumbnail (which resides in the file’s resource fork), copying that image to a non-HFS volume (such as your FAT32 USB drive) will result in two files being created on the thumb drive: Song.mp3 and ._Song.mp3 . You won’t see the second file, but the Acura music player will!

The solution is to acquire a small, inexpensive utility (I couldn't find a freeware one but this one one called BlueHarvest 6 only costs $13.99 on the Apple Store http://apple.co/2mU5vDM) and once it's installed, every time you plug in a thumb drive or similar it will give you the option of 'cleaning' the drive. The first picture shows what you see when you click on the BlueHarvest icon in the menu bar with the USB drive (my one called Car Music) connected and the second image shows what it cleaned (it's a 32GB drive!)

I hope this will help some Mac user with an RDX.

Works like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails Every MP3 file on my thumb drive has two entries-blueharvest.jpg   Every MP3 file on my thumb drive has two entries-blueharvest2.jpg  
Old 03-11-2017, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Was gonna come in to chime in that it was an OSX issue
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 PM
4th Gear

Smile Thanks for sharing this information

That is great to hear you solved the issue. Thanks for sharing!