Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 03:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Problem?

I am not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but when I charge my cell phone in the power outlet (the one next to "this is not an ashtray") my left blinker intermittently flashes (only when the car is in gear). My car is at the dealership today but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried/experienced it.

Also, possibly related to my electical issue, when I unlock and open the door to normally get (the key is NOT in the ignition) in I get a half a chime. I noticed on the other TSX at the dealership there is not a chime when you open the door. Anyone else?
Old 07-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have not noticed this happening on my TSX which now has 4500 miles. Definitely have the dealer check it out. Be sure and let us know the outcome. My battery completely pooped out at 4100 miles. $hit happens I guess.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:33 PM
More On

About charging the cell phone, never noticed anything like that.

About the other thing, lately I've been sort of noticing some unaccustomed chimes in exactly the situation you describe -- when opening the door after having unlocked the car remotely; it's exactly the same sounds that happen when you start getting out of the car without having turned your lights off or without having taken the key out of the ignition. But I don't think it's "half a chime," it's a couple. (Not sure, I'll pay more attention next time if I think of it.)

Hadn't given it much thought myself yet, but I did wonder. I'm pretty sure the car didn't do this until just the past week or so.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

I believe I get the same chime that larchmont is describing. I half-assed determined that the chime sound is when I unlock the car using the remote, and then open the door BEFORE the lights have finished flashing. Actually, now that I think about it, if you have the door open, press the unlock button on the remote, and you should hear the chimes if my theory is correct.

Hope what I've said is right and doesn't lead anybody astray.

-snap-
Old 07-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Racer

i also sometimes hear the "half a chime." i haven't come to a solid root of the cause, but now that i think about it... it sometimes happens when i leave my manual in first gear. could that be it? i would have to try to recreate the problem...
Old 07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
More On

Originally posted by ebcheon
......now that i think about it... it sometimes happens when i leave my manual in first gear. could that be it? i would have to try to recreate the problem...
My guess is "no," because I don't even have MT.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
My guess is "no," because I don't even have MT.
nm
Old 07-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by snap
I believe I get the same chime that larchmont is describing. I half-assed determined that the chime sound is when I unlock the car using the remote, and then open the door BEFORE the lights have finished flashing. Actually, now that I think about it, if you have the door open, press the unlock button on the remote, and you should hear the chimes if my theory is correct.

Hope what I've said is right and doesn't lead anybody astray.

-snap-
I agree...and the reason why it's only "half" a chime is because the lights flash and do not stay on long enough for the medoly to sound in its entirety (sp?).
Old 07-09-2003, 06:57 PM
5th Gear

Well I just got the call from the dealership, they had to install a diode to smooth the electic current and eliminate the "feedback" that was being caused by the charger - (which was causing the blinker to go crazy). I asked if it was just a "patch" and was told it was the factory authorized repair for the problem?!?
As for the "half" chime on the door, thanks for al the input and I will investigate it more closely and try to find the exact cause!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Instructor

The chime is from the headlights flashing. The chime sounds when you leave the headlights on with the car off, so therefore, when they flash with the car off you get the half chimes.
Our CL does the same exact thing.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:10 PM
More On

Originally posted by GRAYTSX
The chime is from the headlights flashing. The chime sounds when you leave the headlights on with the car off, so therefore, when they flash with the car off you get the half chimes.
Our CL does the same exact thing.
Hey gray, how ya doin'? Been a little while.

Oh, back to the subject: That's not it -- at least, not the whole thing.

It happens on my car when the lights AREN'T on.

(Edit) Oh, I see (Count Blah explains below) -- Sorry, gray!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:41 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally posted by larchmont
It happens on my car when the lights AREN'T on.
Right.. but they flash when you unlock with the remote. For that half-second, the chime system(?) thinks they're on.

I've heard those chimes as well but didn't give it much thought. This explanation seems to make sense though.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to add to the list, I get it too. I think if you wait long enough to open the door, the chime doesn't happen. So that supports the blinking lights theory.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:40 AM
wiz
Pro

The half a chime when you open the door is that you're just opening the door very quickly after you unlock the car. If you unlock the car with the remote and then wait a minute to open the door, it won't chime at you.

Also, the person who said they hear a chime when they leave their car in first gear, you might want to check and make sure that your Emergency Brake is all the way disengaged. If the car is moving with it engaged, the car will chime at you.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Racer

Originally posted by wiz
The half a chime when you open the door is that you're just opening the door very quickly after you unlock the car. If you unlock the car with the remote and then wait a minute to open the door, it won't chime at you.

Also, the person who said they hear a chime when they leave their car in first gear, you might want to check and make sure that your Emergency Brake is all the way disengaged. If the car is moving with it engaged, the car will chime at you.
yeah i'm always sure that the e-brake is disengaged... i just thought that the half chime went off when i left my car in first gear (due to a hill or something). but that theory was pulled...
Old 07-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Woohoo...I guess my theory was right.

Now I have a question that's a bit off topic - when you unlock the door, the "parking lights" flash. Why are those lights amber? The turn signal lights are in front and on the mirrors. Just something that makes no sense to me.

-snap-
Old 07-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Bound for Europe

A chime?
Damn, my car does a "do-do-do-doot"

I'm going to have to take it to the dealer. I want the chime!

But seriously, I was a tad worried about the chime thing, but once again y'all have calmed my nerves.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I assume you have an alarm with the car... that HALF chime you are hearing is the lights blinking while you have just opened the door... the lights cause a chime to sound no matter what... as a reminder to shut them off before leaving... sense the alarm turned on your lights, your car doesn't recognize that fact... not an issue.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:28 AM
No Longer a Poseur

Now I have a question that's a bit off topic - when you unlock the door, the "parking lights" flash. Why are those lights amber? The turn signal lights are in front and on the mirrors. Just something that makes no sense to me.

-snap-
I think the colour has to do with some North American Universal colour scheme for lights. Marker lights for the front end of a vehicle are always orange. Marker lights for the back end of a vehicle are always red.

Remember the reflectors for your bike spokes? Orange in front, red in back. There may be some exceptions (such as white in front), but that's following, from what I can see, the European standard (remember, on most of their cars, they have clear reflectors up front).
Old 07-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Cruisin'

Ah, ok, you cleared that up MikeMa. Thanks! I lived in Singapore during my childhood, so I had white reflectors on the front of my bike, but I know expat friends who brought bikes from the US had orange ones. I liked my white ones better .

-snap-
Old 07-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Racer

-snap-
Amber may be the standard, but each state has its own requirements. In Texas, the front turn signals can be either clear or amber. This is why so many people clear their turn signals (remove the amber lens), but you have to check your state laws because I've heard that in states where clear is not legal the cops will cite you.