DVD install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD install...

I am a to the site...especially the Audio & Video section. I was wondering if someone can point me to a thread containing info on how to convert a navigation system in an '05 TSX to also play DVD's. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadDog_NC
I am a to the site...especially the Audio & Video section. I was wondering if someone can point me to a thread containing info on how to convert a navigation system in an '05 TSX to also play DVD's. Thanks in advance.
Maddog, welcome to the site.

If you want to convert your navigation system to play DVDs, then there are generally two ways of doing this. The way I wetn was to purchase the TV tuner from avelectronic. I talked to Sam on the phone (he is a stand up guy) and my order was shipped to me faster than I expected. The TV tuner (it also has two A/V inputs and two A/V outputs, all for $525 + shipping. The unit is completely plug and play. I can vouch for the unit that I had the thing installed by myself in under an hour (including taking apart the rear seat and center console).

The other option would be to buy the unit from vsolklov (spelling?). I have heard recently that his unit is cheaper and is now plug-and-play. I would have bought this unit, but the avelectronic unit was the only plug-and-play unit available at the time.

You can also try this sticky:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=navi

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

I appreciate the help humperdood......thanks!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It should be specified that this allows the SCREEN to display a video signal from some video source, like a DVD player.

You don't get to make the DVD driver in the Nav box play DVD's for you. You will still have to buy a DVD player (not clear from your post if you got that or not...)

You also don't get any audio unless you add an SHOND or something like that...and since the '05 is an issue for the SHOND (doesn't one come in the av electronic kit?) some custom work on the XM harness wiring in a switcher or a pair of relays is required. No SURE solution tothe 05 AUX in has been published yet...
Old 03-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
It should be specified that this allows the SCREEN to display a video signal from some video source, like a DVD player.

You don't get to make the DVD driver in the Nav box play DVD's for you. You will still have to buy a DVD player (not clear from your post if you got that or not...)

You also don't get any audio unless you add an SHOND or something like that...and since the '05 is an issue for the SHOND (doesn't one come in the av electronic kit?) some custom work on the XM harness wiring in a switcher or a pair of relays is required. No SURE solution tothe 05 AUX in has been published yet...
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE Eld, steal my glory! I MEANT to say what you just said!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Great......thanks BOTH of you for your help! Didn't mean to start an Audio/Video civil war
Old 03-02-2005, 10:14 AM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Dude, humper and I get along great. How's your AUX in working, h?

We haven't had a flame war in AV since well before the merger... and I hope we don't...
Old 03-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
Dude, humper and I get along great. How's your AUX in working, h?

We haven't had a flame war in AV since well before the merger... and I hope we don't...
It's going well. I've started listening to mp3s a lot more than XM radio, so I haven't really had a problem with the noise. The noise does not appear when I have the system on "CD-C". Also, it's not really that noticeable, so even when I do listen to XM, I can deal with it.