DVD Audio system undocumented feature

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Audio system undocumented feature

The DVD Audio format allows for multiple "groups" or folders on a disc. Most commercial albums put eveything in one group. Some like the Elton John Yellow Brick Road have the bonus tracks in a separate group. The AIX DVD-A sampler has four groups. Up to now I've been unable to play the other groups/tracks.

Acura / Panasonic set up our system by default to play the first group when you put the disc in or switch to it. For some reason they didn't provide any method to use the Audio/Nav display to access the information that is encoded on the DVD-A format to allow navigation between groups.

It turns out if you press and hold the Scan and Rpt buttons at the same time it will jump you between groups. You have to use the actual buttons below the cassette deck as far as I can tell. You have to play with it little to figure out how long to hold it. The confusing thing is that the display will show track #1 again but no indication you are in a new group. It doesn't let you know you've changed groups as far as I can tell.

Doing so on the Elton John DVD acccesses two more groups. One appears to be a set of 30 second samples of other songs (Tiny Dancer, Your Song, etc.) Perhaps a preview of a greatest hits DVD-A. Holding longer gets you to the bonus tracks which include an excellent acoustic verison of Candle in the Wind.

If DVD-A makers start to make more use of this feature it will make accessing it on our systems difficult. I can't believe Acura/Panasonic wouldn't provide access to the DVD-A menus or groups via the Navi/audio screen.

Thx to AIX records: http://www.aixrecords.com/ for help in finding this.

FYI, their DVD-A are great if you like the music types they have. Their DVD-A's are recorded live at 96kHz/24 bit 5.1. If you like classic/jazz guitar the Guitar Noir DVD-A is great.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:23 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Thanks! I'm gonna have to give this a try tonight on my way home from work.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

More info

After doing a little more playing around I noted that the group number shows up momentarily in the LCD display above the Navi screen (Where the clock, etc display). When you hold the Scan/Rpt buttons down it will beep and you will see "Group 2" in the LCD display. Hold them in again until you hear the beep and you're in group 3, etc.

Most DVD-A have a stereo mix in additon to the 5.1 mix. On Yellow Brick Road Group 1 is 5.1, group 2 is stereo, Group 3 is a set of 30 second samples and Group 4 are the bonus tracks. I've found most of my DVD-A's have at least a second stereo group. Some of the Stereo are at 192 kHz sample rate instead of the 96Khz used for 5.1.

If there is more than one group, each group has one more track than the listed number. It is a 1 second blank track. On our systems it makes the changer jump to the next disc instead of the next group. If you want to switch between groups you have to switch before that track starts or it will jump you to the next disc.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:05 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

This is great! Too bad DiscWelder Bronze doesn't support groups. It'd be a great thing to split up albums by groups.

By the way, how did you find this feature?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

I bought a DVD-A from AIX and they send their sampler for free. The sampler is divided into four groups. I was pissed when I could only access the first seven tracks and didn't know what the groups were. I called them and they explained how groups work and that on a home player you can select via a menu.

The owner of AIX has a TL so the tech rep I was talking to called him and then called me back with the info on how to access groups. The owner had previously talked to Panasonic. Pretty good recommendation when the owner of a DVD-A only studio owns a TL.

FYI what I've discovered so far on some albums:

On Beach Boys Pet Sounds there are 4 groups. Group 1 is the default 5.1 mix, group 2 appears to be a second 5.1 mix with more bias toward the center. I think it sounds better than the default. Group 3 is stereo and group 4 is the original mono recording.

On a couple albums I think the stereo sounds better. Fleetwood Mac Rumors for example.

Also, if you have the Blue Man Group there is one bonus track in group two that is better than most of group 1. It is a concert track that will knock your socks off.

Anyway experiment and see what you can find. It's like getting a second set of albums.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:12 PM
10th Gear

If this in fact does work with DVD-A discs then you have just solved the mystery for those who want to play MP3s through their default player as well. I have speken to a few people about Wavelab 5.0 and this program will allow you to setup a folder for each group/type of MP3s. Whether you want to seperate songs by genre or by KBPS rate I've been told it is possible with Wavelab 5.0. I am still organizing my first disc so I can't personally confirm this but will be able to very soon. Thanks for the new info.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brainerupt
If this in fact does work with DVD-A discs then you have just solved the mystery for those who want to play MP3s through their default player as well. I have speken to a few people about Wavelab 5.0 and this program will allow you to setup a folder for each group/type of MP3s. Whether you want to seperate songs by genre or by KBPS rate I've been told it is possible with Wavelab 5.0. I am still organizing my first disc so I can't personally confirm this but will be able to very soon. Thanks for the new info.
Who makes Wavelab??

Thanks
Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for this nice tip!

WaveLab is made by Steinberg "The Audio Group of Pinnacle Systems"

from their site...

"WaveLab 5 is the only all-in-one solution for high resolution stereo and multi-channel audio editing, mastering, CD/DVD burning and for complete CD or DVD Audio production in outstanding audio quality. WaveLab is not just a top level mastering tool, it also offers capabilities for multimedia, sound design with samplers, radio broadcasts, and computer telephony applications. This is why WaveLab is the leading application for digital audio editing. "

http://www.steinberg.net/ProductPage...81&Langue_ID=7
Old 07-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Zonie,

Excellent find! I just got my order from AIX and I am completely blown away by the quality of their Christmas compilation. The discs only seem expensive until your realize how much value, bonuses, and features are included. On top of that, the audio is superb! I can't believe I can be so happy listening to Xmas music in this muggy weather. Great to hear that AIX provides this level of customer support. They really do car about the rest of us.

dsc888
Old 07-02-2004, 01:54 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

$600.00 ??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 01:54 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

thats Alot!!!!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:38 AM
10th Gear

FREE!!! if you know how to use torrents
Old 07-02-2004, 02:53 AM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

i dont even know the term means.. if u talking about illegal downloading. now i know.. but torrents. not really. haahha
Old 07-02-2004, 06:15 AM
Intermediate

MP3 DVD-A Writing Program

First of all, to Zonie... Great Find and an excellent tip. Thanks so much for sharing!

Digi-On out of Japan makes a Windows DVD-Audio disc writing program. Download a free trial here! :-)

http://www.digion.com/dl/dau2_up.htm

Not to worry, yes, it's in Japanese, but you'll be able to figure out the buttons w/o much trouble. The web site page and the program contains just enough English to navigate through.

Oh yea, this program writes Groups too!

Digi-on makes CD-RW/DVD-/+R writing software included in many Toshiba laptops, so they seems like a stand-up company.

If someone wants to arrange a group buy on this program (last time I did the exchange rate calc price was about $115.00), count me in for qty 1.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Intermediate

FREE!!! if you know how to steal.

If you had any sack you'd be shoplifting in person instead of relying on the anonymity of the 'net. :ghey:

Or you could actually compensate the developers for working on something useful.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Racer

Will this work in non-navi models?
Old 07-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=Zonie]I bought a DVD-A from AIX and they send their sampler for free. The sampler is divided into four groups. I was pissed when I could only access the first seven tracks and didn't know what the groups were. I called them and they explained how groups work and that on a home player you can select via a menu.

The owner of AIX has a TL so the tech rep I was talking to called him and then called me back with the info on how to access groups. The owner had previously talked to Panasonic. Pretty good recommendation when the owner of a DVD-A only studio owns a TL.
[QUOTE]

Zonie:

Thanks so much for this tip. Information such as the one you provided reminds we why I look at this forum weekly! I too recently discovered AIX a few weeks ago and am waiting for the Christmas compilation. Woo Hoo, Christmas music in Summer while it is 110+ degrees here. I heard it sounds awesome and also picked up the sampler for free. Does anyone know if you can cylcel through the various music point of views (ie audience vs stage) through this method? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Drifting

Zonie...thanks a lot for the tip!! It's people like you who make this forum great. I wish other people would stop complaining about rattles and make constructive additions to the forum. BTW....AIX recording are fantastic. For those out there who think the TL sound system lacks in any way, they need to try a few of the excellent recordings these guys make. I just got 3 DVD-A recordings yesterday from AIX, and I'm totally blown away by the sound quality. Last night, I sat in my car in the heat and humidity for over one hour listening to their disc's....and no...I didn't use the AC in the car...I wanted to hear the sound without any additional noise...so I just sat there and dripped in sweat..but the 3 glasses of red wine helped...LOL!!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Intermediate

I know of no reason why it shouldn't work in a non-Navi model. The group info shows on the dash display and you use the scan / rpt buttons by the cassette. As far as I know there are no differences in the audio systems in the two models.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:04 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Why would this allow people to play MP3s through their default player? The car still cannot decode the codec and will require you to convert to .WAV first. However, this _will_ let you separate your albums, categories, what have you into different groups so you don't have to scroll through 99 tracks trying to figure out what is what.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:18 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by tl-lvr
First of all, to Zonie... Great Find and an excellent tip. Thanks so much for sharing!

Digi-On out of Japan makes a Windows DVD-Audio disc writing program. Download a free trial here! :-)

http://www.digion.com/dl/dau2_up.htm

Not to worry, yes, it's in Japanese, but you'll be able to figure out the buttons w/o much trouble. The web site page and the program contains just enough English to navigate through.

Oh yea, this program writes Groups too!

Digi-on makes CD-RW/DVD-/+R writing software included in many Toshiba laptops, so they seems like a stand-up company.

If someone wants to arrange a group buy on this program (last time I did the exchange rate calc price was about $115.00), count me in for qty 1.
They have an English page but you cannot download a trial that way. I had to navigate through the form to get to the DigiSound Pro download. Fortunately I recognized a few of the Kanji characters (Chinese school paid off) so I was able to fill out the form... heh. In any case, having already bought DiscWelder Bronze, I'm reluctant to buy this application just to get some group access.

If you guys download the trial, let me know how it works for y'all.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Great find!!! Of course I just finished creating a bunch of single group DVD-Audios. I think it would be great to break the disk down by albums but I also like being able to random play all the music on the DVD-A. Does random jump between groups? Also, for those that are creating their own disks from CDs by ripping your CDs to wav files - do you feel that the quaility of the result is the same as playing the CD?

-Greg
Old 07-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Awesome, just tried it on my Elton John DVD-A, very slick.

Joe
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 AM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

Originally Posted by Stewie
Will this work in non-navi models?
It does work on non-nav models.

I tried it last night on my way home from work and this morning on my way in. I found something interesting, on Tubular Bells Group 1 is the 5.1 mix, Group 2 is the excerpt of a live performence of The Sentinal from TB2 and Group 3 is another live performence excerpt of TB3. I find this interesting because first of all, I can't seem to acces the high res stereo mix and the two live excerpts are videos. I also found that on Qeen's "One night at the opera" one of the groups is Bohemian Rhapsody wich I assume is the video track. I can't wait to try out my other DVD-A's.

Thanks again Zonie!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

so I'm guessing if you pop one of these disc into a set top home DVD player, you'll see the bonus material in the menu. I guess there's no way to make these visable in a car audio system
Old 07-02-2004, 12:13 PM