Done for now.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done for now.

Here's a quick pic of my HU installed. I'll post more/better pics on my Mods site.
Old 04-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bozz that looks real clean... i like it... the color on the tray and the kit seem to be off a little or is that the lighting...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Looks really nice man. I think I should have saved the 100 bucks and got the same HU. I got my 9815 installed couple days ago. I really like that trim plate. On my install the trim plate wasnt used. I really like the look of the trim plate to.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Racer

shawhite,

Your eyes are correct, the color match is not perfect. I guess I shouldn't complain since the actual fit of the kit was so good BUT for the price, I don't think it would take that much more time for them to match the color properly. It is pretty close though.

Check out my mods page in a day or two for some better pics. I want to make sure folks can see the color match so they can decide if they want to go this route or not. Only us really anal folks notice it. Hell, the day I got it I knew it didn't match. My only other choice would have been to fabricate one myself. I don't have the time or the expertise to do so.

dnd2984,

do you have any pics of your install?

BTW, I really wanted the 9811. I didn't need all of the features of the 9813 but the 9811 was going to be another month before it was ready. With all of the install problems I had with my sub amp, I could have waited and got the damn thing!

Either way, I'm just happy it's done and sounds good.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Color match or not, that looks damn good. I can tell you from experience that matching the factory color is near to impossible. I think that kit looks great. My question is, how does the head unit mount in the kit? Does it mount to the trim itself or to the car. The one thing I did like about the way I did mine was that I mounted the head unit right to the factory brackets. That bad boy is not coming out without breaking it out.

Looks great though Bozz. I think money well spent. I love the Audio Control unit above. I have been thinking about adding one of those to mine. If for nothing else, to boost the preamp from my 2 volts front/4 volts sub.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

i would have to assume that the headunit mounts to the trip kit via the cage that the headunit comes with... but i am not positive... as for the color match it is not that big of a deal... but i am a very anal person that is why i noticed it... and yes i know all to well how impossible it is to match that stock color... that is why when i did my kit it was done in the wood grain because that is alot easier to match up... but bozz it really does look good but more importantly how does it sound... and how do you like the 9813...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Racer

X2:

The HU mounts via the "shell" that comes with the HU. Basically, you mount the shell to the kit and bend the appropriate tabs to keep the shell in place. After that, the HU slides right in and locks into place. Someone who knows how Alpine units are disengaged can swipe it in less than two minutes. Of course, they'll do so without the faceplate on. That didn't stop someone from "borrowing" the system from my brother's Integra GSR.

I can tell you that the voltage increase from the AC unit is unbelievable. I have the amp gains set at dead midpoint and it's still too much. I need to turn them down. Since you use the volume control on the AC as your master volume, you need to take extra care with how you set the amp gains.

I still have more tweaking to do. That task will be completed this weekend.

I have to say that I'm rather disappointed with the sound of the ID 5.25 mids. I kind of figured I would be since I'm used to nothing smaller than 6.5s. I'd hate to think that someone out there paid $350 for them. It's not that the sound is bad, it's just not as good as the Pioneer Premier 6.5 comps I had in my last ride. They were only about $200 but had much more midbass impact.

I'm looking forward to getting some time to cut the doors and get the 6.5 ID monsters installed. I'm guessing it will be a 100% improvement in SQ. The 6.5s are without a doubt the biggest midranges I've ever seen. They make the 5.25s look like the Blose stock speakers! Hell, they're footprint looks like a friggin subwoofers!!! I'm actually concerned with whether or not I'll be able to make a spacer that will allow them to be mounted properly!

The Polks aren't horrible but their midrange presence is a bit harsh. I've definitely heard better for what they cost. While their ease of install is topnotch, their overall musicality is not. They are going in my truck to replace the absolutely awful JBLs currently residing there.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally posted by shawhite
as for the color match it is not that big of a deal... but i am a very anal person that is why i noticed it... and yes i know all to well how impossible it is to match that stock color...
Yep, you're dead on concerning the HU mount process (see previous response to X2).

I'm as anal or moreso than you! I expected a perfect match since I shelled out $200 for it. I think the color match is a big deal. However, the fact that it fit perfectly and I only had to modify it slightly to get the BS Acura paper tray above it to fit....I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It still bugs me when I see it but people who aren't puckered up like me just see the beauty of the fit. The fit is flawless. It's the finish that....nevermind.

The 9813 kicks a$$. To hear my system right now, most people would sh!t their pants and be thrilled to have it. Since I am an anal ba$tard, I plan to upgrade the front 5.25 mids to 6.5 mids and I'll probably replace the rear Polks with another set of either 6.5 mids or maybe even another set of 6.5 comps.

My S.O. thinks it's too loud. Go figure. What is it with women?? I told her I would never play it loud with my daughter in the car. She goes bezerk when I play The Matrix on my home theater system the way the movie was meant to be played.

Either way, I want this system to be my "masterpiece" of car audio installation. Stay tuned to my mods page. I'm not done yet. I'll be breaking out my jigsaw in the next few days/weeks.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Jigsaw, (insert Tim Allen grunt here).

Believe me, there is really no comparrison between the 5.25 mids and 6.5 mids. The bass response of those 6.5" beasts is awesome. There again, I wish I could have lived with cutting the doors but, I just could not stomach it. In the MDX, all I cut was plastic. It was alot easier to swallow.

I will keep watching your page for more pics. I can not wait to see your work on the 6.5".

The color matching is a pain in the butt. I have been trying to get it right on the TL and MDX and have got close but, still, like you guys, I am so picky about it, just can not satisfy myself. The wife says it looks fine but, not to me. I must admit though, that several times, I hear my wife pull up in the drive with the stereo cranked. Maybe not as loud as I listen at times but, still loud enough for me to hear the bass inside.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Racer

Originally posted by AcuraX2
Believe me, there is really no comparrison between the 5.25 mids and 6.5 mids. The bass response of those 6.5" beasts is awesome.

The color matching is a pain in the butt. I have been trying to get it right on the TL and MDX and have got close but, still, like you guys, I am so picky about it, just can not satisfy myself. The wife says it looks fine but, not to me.
I am counting on the fact that the difference between the two is night and day. I know the physical difference between the two is definitely night and day! The 6.5 IDs are the biggest mids I've ever seen! I'm sure they're going to kick major butt once installed....if I ever get to it!!!

Color matching = moot point. I don't think it can be done. You live with the difference. If someone wants to b!tch that hard about it, than tell them to fvck off. I know my match isn't the greatest but it is pretty damn good.

As I stated previously, the fit is flawless. If someone checks out my system and starts ragging me about the difference in color between the kit and the surrounding stock parts....I'm going to hand him/them a Tampax and remind them that we're supposed to stand when we pi$$, not sit.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Pro

Originally posted by bozzchem

My S.O. thinks it's too loud. Go figure. What is it with women?? I told her I would never play it loud with my daughter in the car. She goes bezerk when I play The Matrix on my home theater system the way the movie was meant to be played.
I think we're sleeping with the same woman!

I had the exact same conversation with my wife right down to the promise of never playing it that loud with my daughter in the car (MDX)! I too crank the home system but not usually to the matrix. I usually pop in some Rammstein or W.A.S.P. when no one else is home.

Very clean install. I really like that HU. Dont' sweat the color.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:06 AM
Instructor

Hey bozz.....really do like that fit, very neat and tidy. I just have a question though saying your the anal type. I am too with this stuff and maybe that's why I'm hesitant not to replace my HU...unless it's with the newer one with the changer....anyway....does it not bug you that the components stick out? I'm really just curious. It drives me nuts....If I could get your fit plate along with the flush mount of the components, then I'd do it...just curious if the brackets you use to mount the units don't allow for a flush fitting. Correct?
Old 04-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Racer

Actually, it does bug me that they stick out. I could flush the AC but not the HU. I've personally never seen an aftermarket HU that had flush fit capabilities. If someone has it done, it's probably high $$ custom work.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

man bozz i was trying to wait until next month to start my install but after i keep looking at this post it makes me want to start now.. as for flush mounting the headunit it is a pain in the @$$ but mine will definately be flushed...
Old 04-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I tried using my trim ring but I cant unless I tear up the dash. Its flush mounted in there and on sticks out a bit, I jsut like the look of the trim plate.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:05 PM
10th Gear

where can i get one of those kits for 99TL
Old 04-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Racer

I can't speak for the '99 model since I had mine made for a '03 model. I don't know the differences/similarities between the two.

Contact Jamie Chou at the following email address: caralarm@shaw.ca

I was quoted a cost of $180 for a single DIN and mine was $200 since I wanted a single DIN plus the cutout for my EQ.

That's the best I can do for you. I can tell you that the color of the dash kit does not match the rest of the dash. If you are alright with that then I'm sure you'll be able to get what you're looking for.

As far as flush mounting the equipment, as I stated previously, I've never seen it done. The inherent mounting system of the DIN HU doesn't allow for it. If you want to go that route, it will require more work.

Personally, I can live with it. It's the only way I've ever been able to mount aftermarket HUs. That doesn't mean flush mounting can't be done...it just means that you have a LOT more work to do.

Hope I've helped.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on now Bozzchem and the others...use a little imagination and take your time with the file and you can get your head unit to sit flush. Once you do, you dont need to use the radio trim piece at all when the head unit fits this tight into the dash: have a look - .

Incidentally, the head unit trim plate i made matches the factory fake burl perfectly. You can get a sheet from selectproducts.com. Its the trim kit i added later thats a little to much on the red side.

The head unit is a Pioneer Premier. The face folds down to insert a cd so I had to leave about 1/32" inch clearance all around the trim and the head unit face so that the face can swing open and closed. It only took about 6 hrs to do the whole mounting (but then again i was a professional installer for 15 years before moving on to other things).
Old 04-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Racer

I can see that your coloration is off quite a bit as well. The flush mounting is nice but has never been that big of a deal to me. I've always had/seen the aftermarket HUs with a bit of an "outward" stance.

I'm in the process of revamping both sets of speakers and probably the THREE.1. After all of that is done, I may go ahead and see what I can do about making the dash kit look more flush.

The rear Polks are going bye bye for a set of Image Dynamics CTX6 coaxes.

The front 5.25 Image Dynamics mids are going to be swapped out with 6.5 mids.

The THREE.1 is going to be replaced by an Alpine ERE-G180 EQ.

As you can see, I've still got a long way to go before I start to worry about the flush mounting of the HU.

Once I'm happy with the overall sound of the system, maybe I'll start focusing a bit more on the aesthetics of the HU.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah the trim kit is way off. i only paid $120 for it off ebay so one of these days i may swap it out for the joshua tree kit that supposedly is a better color match.
The ABS burl that i used to make the trim plate matches even better than it appears in the picture because the flash on the camera wreaks havoc on glossly surfaces when you take a picture.
Naturally the head unit is attached to the dash using the factory radio brackets, but i drilled in new screw holes to attach them to the sides of the radio so that the head would sit flush when the trim was put on. I used a machinist's calipers to calculate the exact depth front to back i would need the radio to mount at. And actually the head unit's trim plate is mounted to the head to fill in the space between the head unit and the trim plate. You can just see it at the bottom part of the head unit (the trim for the head is silver). The reason i did it this way is because the face of the head is removable. when it is out, there would otherwise be a visible space between the dash trim and rest of the head. This way, the head just looks countersunk into the dash when the face is off.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
The ABS burl that i used to make the trim plate matches even better than it appears in the picture because the flash on the camera wreaks havoc on glossly surfaces when you take a picture.
I find that the camera makes things look much worse than the naked eye. Nobody has commented on the color match...who has seen it. It isn't that bad until you take a picture of it. I find that a little Zaino tire dressing darkens the stock panel a good bit more as well.

I'd be interested to see what your installation looks like behind the fascia. Do you have any pics of it before installing the flush mounting piece?
Old 04-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Advanced

In person the color match is REALLY hard to see. I've got a kit that doesnt match exactly, but you have to look extreemly hard to notice the difference. Besides, there is so much more fake aftermarked wood than stock fake wood, so it makes the stock rails look off.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, Bozzchem here is a pic with the trim face removed to show how its attached. Basically, as you will see, the trim plate is attached all around with velco so it can be easily removed if necessary and there is a metal framing that i made that goes all around the radio where the other half of the velco is attached. That way if you push on the trim plate, its totally solid and doesnt budge.

The bottom piece is just a piece of flatbar you can buy at the Homedepot for a few dollars. Since I only had a small scrap piece left (just enough to do the bottom) i used thick metal headunit backstrapping instead for the top half, but ideally you would use the same flatbar straight across for both the upper and lower halves. As you can see because the side trim is removed on the right side, the flatbar just gets screwed down. Incidentally, the thickness of velco is exactly the amount of thickness needed to get the trimplate to sit flush to the head. You could use thick double sided foam tape instead but why bother with that becasue then it cant really be removed without risking snapping the trim plate.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Racer

DAMN!, that's fvcking sweet! I should have picked your brain quite a bit more before I had the dash kit built for me. I could have easily saved $100 or more and ended up with a better overall look.

Actually, now I wish I hadn't asked you about this. It is going to bug the $hit out of me knowing what I could/should have done, seeing that it wasn't that hard, and knowing that I like the end product of your install better than mine.........

Aaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhh

Oh well, $hit happens.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

IRON MAIDEN? Do they still make music?

The install is nice. However, I've always loved 2002acuraTL's install. That burlwood from selectproducts is the bomb. I plan to order blackwood when I upgrade my system.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Racer

Originally posted by baggsTLS
IRON MAIDEN? Do they still make music?

The install is nice. However, I've always loved 2002acuraTL's install. That burlwood from selectproducts is the bomb. I plan to order blackwood when I upgrade my system.
Careful when you're talking about Maiden! Dem's fightin words :p

Yes, they are still making music and are scheduled to release a new disc this year!!!

I agree about 2002acuraTL's install vs. mine. I thought that was rather evident by my previously distressed post. I could have easily built a sheet metal mounting bracket for about $15 and then found a decently matching black fascia plate for probably less than $100. I'm guessing I could have built the entire assembly for a grand total of ~$115, had both a flush mounted HU and EQ, AND possibly had a decent color match.

I'm kicking myself enough here....I don't need your help :p

I'm actually considering scrapping the kit I have and following in his installation footsteps. If you can find an ABS or whatever that matches the stock coloration, please let me know! I haven't seen anything from select products that comes close to matching the ebony interior.

I'm sure someone who doesn't wish to build their own dash kit would be willing to take mine off my hands. They'll obviously get it for a much better price than I did.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2003, 10:15 PM
Advanced

Hey 2002acuraTL,

What color did you get from select products? I need that color for mine and its hard to tell on the website which one I need. How was it to work with, what tools did you use?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Bozzchem, it wont cost you more than $40 in materials to do this install. Sellectproducts gets about $30-35 for a sheet of ABS (i dont remember exactly the price, but i think it came to about that with shipping) and then you buy a long skinny piece of flatbar at the depot for about $4 and then the velco and thats all the materials you will need. The head unit itself is mounted using the factory head unit's mount brackets. You just have to figure out exactly where you need the headunit to sit in the dash (up/down location, and finished depth) and then redrill new holes in the factory brackets. This of course will only work if your head unit has mounting screw holes on its sides (most units do have threaded holes on the sides for mounting in toyotas and other cars where the radio is held from the sides).

the rest of the job just involves taking your time to cut out and shape the faceplate and to file the opening for the head. Again because my headunit face is removable, I went through the trouble of filing and then sanding the edge of my faceplate up to 2000 grit wet sandpaper to make it absolutely smooth on the edges - its overkill I admit, since who is ever IN the car to see it when the headunit face is out, but i am a stickler for detail so i felt compelled to do it. As you can see from the pic, the head unit's trim ring was left on for the reasons i already stated above and the outer trimplate I made rests right up against the thin flat edge on the front of the trim ring for even more support.

I will be more than happy to walk you through the install.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mikem: The color was called Flourentine. The tools you will need are : A dremel equipt with a model 9903 carbide bit (they work best for cutting the ABS nice and clean without melting it), a straight file, a round file, masking tape, an x-acto knife, a machinist's calipers and a metal straight edge ruler. For finishing the edges perfectly straight and smooth as glass, start with 400 grit sand paper, then go to 600, 1000, 1500 and finally 2000 grit.
Remember to use water with the finer sandpapers (over 1000 grit).
Old 04-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Mr. Self Destruct

bozz: I've seen a blackwood that matches pretty close. I don't remember exactly where, but I know I've seen it. I'll let you know if I can find it again.

As for Maiden. A new album. :o
I'm just playing, man. I applaud them for being non-sellouts like Metallica, who I've completely given up on and shouldn't have even been considered for MTV's ICON.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Advanced

2002acuraTL:

I went to selectproducts.com and tried to purchase the ABS and it just brings me to another page with no info. It did it for anything I tried to buy?! There is a dealers only section do you have to be one to buy?
Old 04-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
Bozzchem, it wont cost you more than $40 in materials to do this install.

Dude, you're killing me..........
Old 04-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally posted by baggsTLS
bozz: I've seen a blackwood that matches pretty close. I don't remember exactly where, but I know I've seen it. I'll let you know if I can find it again.

As for Maiden. A new album. :o
I'm just playing, man. I applaud them for being non-sellouts like Metallica, who I've completely given up on and shouldn't have even been considered for MTV's ICON.
PLEASE let me know if you find something that matches! I may just have to break out the files!

You're right about Metallica. They were great up until "And Justice for All". I quit buying their stuff after they went "mainstream".

Maiden's 2000 disc was the best one they've made in 10 years. I'm hoping the upcoming one is as good.

Up the irons!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

You should have quit buying Metallica's stuff when they went on the rampage against Napster and all the file sharing services with their holier than thou RIAA buddies!

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I am not trying to torture you about how cheaply you can get the flush look on you head install, and I know there is a blackwood ABS trim floating around out there on the net. You might also email Streeteffectz through this board or at his website and ask him for advice on where he gets it from, because I am sure he's used it for installs.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

mikem, i just checked out their site and it works just fine: selectproducts.com Flourentine ABS sheet $21
Part number is ABLFLB12. Just click through and order.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Thanks. It worked that time I'm not sure what was going on.