DIY - Install Dom's navi converter on a 2006 TSX - Non-PNP

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY - Install Dom's navi converter on a 2006 TSX - Non-PNP

I hope the following short guide clears up some misconceptions and provides an easy to use reference to install Dom's navi converter on a 2006 TSX. This guide is intended ONLY as a reference for hooking up 8 of the 9 wires from the provided DB9 cable which provides signal to the navigation screen. In addition to this you will need to supply an engine switched 12v power line and ground return line. There are many ways to do this and people prefer to tap these in different manners, so I will leave that part up to you.

This method will install the video signal wires at the back of the navi unit. This is NOT a kick panel install. You will need to cut 4 wires from the 20 pin harness on the back of the navi, and attach 8 wires from the DB9 cable to each end of the 4 stock wires that will be cut. Anyone with a basic understanding of wiring and basic soldering skills can complete this install, however, it is not for the feint of heart. If you are not comfortable doing this, you have 2 choices:

1. Purchase the PNP (plug-n-play) cable from Dom's shop.
2. Have a professional installer complete this wired install.

===Disclamer===
This information is to be used on an AS-IS basis, and is based off my install on my 2006 TSX. Your wire colors and pinouts may be different and I encourage you to double check all information here before attempting this yourself. I am in no way responsible for what you do with this information.
===/Disclaimer===

The easiest way to access these wires for cutting, connecting, and testing is to fold down your rear seats and access the rear of the DVD navigation drive ('navi'). Find the 20 pin harness. This harness connectects to the navigation touchscreen ('screen') and is where we will install Dom's converter.

4 wires must be cut. Looking at the back of the harness, with the wires coming toward you as they would be if it were still plugged in the navi, these are pins 1, 2, 11, and 12. Their colors on my install were, respectively, White, Red, Yellow, Brown.

(pardon the ms paint skills, but this is a better visual aid than the photos I took)

Now, to give you additional information (please read thru this carefully and don't let it confuse you) that you will find useful:

The White navi wire corresponds to a BLUE RGB signal.
The Red navi wire corresponds to a GREEN RGB signal.
The Yellow navi wire corresponds to a RED RGB signal.
The Brown navi wire corresponds to a SYNC RGB signal.

You should now know which 4 wires to cut, and which RGB component they correspond to. You may now use Dom's provided directions to hook up the 8 DB9 wires to each end of the RGB wires, as from his directions below:

Thus, for the DB9 cable installs, you hook them up as follows, where the first color is the DB9 cable color, the second color is the color of the wire in the 20-pin harness, and navi-/screen- indicates which end of the wire you hook up to.

Brown to navi-brown
Red to screen-yellow
Orange to navi-yellow
Yellow to navi-red
Green to screen-red
Blue to screen-white
Purple to navi-white
Gray to screen-brown

=========================

Good luck with your install.

If information is found to be incorrect, I will do my best to correct it and have a forum moderator update this post to reflect the changes.

Updated: 5/22/06
Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for giving back to the TSX community, Reach!

good to see you finally got it working.

I'm considering doing this mod, I will probably put my PS2 in the TSX when the PS3 comes out (and becomes my in-house console).
Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

great write up Reach. Where'd you decide to get power since you now put the unit in the trunk? navi unit?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

Exclamation

Somebody can tell me where i can buy "DOM's RGB CONVERTER"?.. Thank's for help.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/combined-acurazine-g35driver-tvandnav2go-group-buy-350632/
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Professional Newbie

Anybody know if these navi wires are the same colors on an '04?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reach
4 wires must be cut. Looking at the back of the harness, with the wires coming toward you as they would be if it were still plugged in the navi, these are pins 1, 2, 11, and 12. Their colors on my install were, respectively, White, Red, Yellow, Brown.
Not sure if the wires are the same color, in fact, I think they aren't, but these pinouts should still be correct. The only way to tell for sure would be to get the ETM for the 04/05 models.