distortion

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
distortion

i have the alpine cda-7873 deck (60watts max), boston FX5s (100watts max) in front and alpine 6939s (120watt max) in rear. now when i turn up the volume to like 20+, the speakers start cracking up. the bass from the rear starts to distort. now would a amp clear this up?

but i don't get it. i mean, the speakers can take a lot more power than the deck can produce. almost double. shouldn't that not make it crack and distort? why does the rear one distort. especially when i turn the bass up to +7 it really is bad. now would a amp clear this up? what kind is best? should i just go with a alpine or doest it matter, to stick to the same brand as the deck.

do i make sense?
Old 07-20-2001, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm. I wonder why no one replied to this .. but yes, you need an amp. in this case, you are not getting 'overpower' distortion but 'underpower' distortion. the alpine rates 60watts max. the RMS wattage out of that is probably more like in the 20s. I've also read that this type of distortion is way easier to mess up your speakers so stop doing it. I had the same experience when I put my rockford components on the head unit on my old system. the remedy was a juicy rockford amp.

as for what kind of amp, thats totally up to you as long as its a high quality amp that most ppl on here would agree to. alpine, like your head unit, rockford, phoenix gold, etc.. etc. in other words, you dont want the amp that you can buy for 100 and it claims to give you 300 watts per channel for 4 channels because it aint gonna do it. good amps I've discovered have a serious premium but its well worth it considering its the muscle behind your system.