TL: Distorting speakers

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Distorting speakers

Hey guys. I have a 2003 TL Type-S and I recentally got my head unit changed to later instal subwoofers. But I noticed that when I got the head unit changed that when I turn my music up loud enough that it distorts my music through the door speakers. I do believe that it's because more bass is being channeled through the door speakers than normal? Would upgrading the door speakers help? I've also been told that the aftermarket stereo I got doesn't put out as much power as the stock stereo (which I did not know at the time). So would getting a better aftermarket stereo help? Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of head unit did u install? And what do you have ur bass&treble settings on that head unit? Also have you installed your subs yet?
Old 05-19-2012, 12:48 PM
MI6
Great Northerner

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
It would definitely be worth upgrading your speakers if you are serious about your audio quality. Just make sure to look at RMS values not "peak" values in terms of wattage. RMS is the range where you can consistently keep the speakers without damaging them (theoretically).

As a lower budget alternative, there are things called "bass blockers" that work quite well. I've used them a few times myself when I just can't get the sounds I want. They come in a couple of options depending on the size speaker/application you are using it for. For more info check this out:

http://bassblocker.com/

Good luck!