Disabe Navi Auto Power Down??

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disabe Navi Auto Power Down??

Have any of you guys figured out a work around for the navi's auto power down when using your external dvd on navi setup when the car isn't running?

All I can figure is to keep the car in the "ON" position instead of the accessory position.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-13-2001, 12:48 AM
Turn Signals are good!

I dunno, track down the power wire and run it to the "acc" position on the switch maybe. Then at least it will be on with just your radio, and not everything in the car.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I guess that's what I could do, but I would need to know the which wire is the turn on wire for the navigation screen.

Can anybody help me with that?
Old 11-13-2001, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by mcdanjw
Yeah, I guess that's what I could do, but I would need to know the which wire is the turn on wire for the navigation screen.

Can anybody help me with that?
hey mcdanjw...hope you can make something out of this. is this what you need?

Old 11-15-2001, 08:17 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
YES

actually, i run my PS2 on my screen when i'm at car shows, and i DONT have the car on!!!

what you do is turn car to ACC so that power goes to the nav screen, power up your PS2 or DVD player, then unplug all three brackets from the BACK of the DVD ROM in the trunk! since power was already going to the screen, it will stay on without shutting off after 5 minutes!

trust me, this is what i do at the car shows, but you just have to do it in that order which is to unplug the 3 harnesses from the back of the ROM AFTER the screen is already powered up and your car is on ACC
Old 11-15-2001, 08:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Cool... That sounds like it will work. Though I might even want to permanently disable the autoshutdown on the screen. Perhaps if I just were to cut one of the wires coming from the dvd rom? I dunno, do you think there's a way to do that so I don't have to get into the trunk every time? (got a big speaker enclosure that makes it difficult to get to dvd rom)
Old 11-15-2001, 06:43 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

actually, i just hop in my backseat, and fold down that middle console thing, reach my hand in, and unplug the wires AFTER the car is on ACC and the screen is on running my PS2
Old 11-20-2001, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I was thinking about this... it's not going to be practical for me to reach into the trunk to grab that connector, since my speaker box completely covers the access hole in the back seat.

So I guess I'm trying to understand what is happening so I can disable it.

Unplugging the dvd rom and the screen staying on sounds weird to me. Not to say it doesn't work as described, but I would think that there is a wire sending a 'stay powered up' signal to the screen. This would be consistent with how a turn on lead works on an amplifier. Unplugging the whole thing would turn the screen off.

So, if there is no conventional 'turn on lead', then is the dvd rom sending a second signal to tell the screen to shut down? If so, which wire do you think it is using? Or do you think something else is going on?
Old 11-20-2001, 07:53 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

i'll figure this out for you when i get my car back in a few days

probably the end of the week, or next week tho
Old 11-29-2001, 07:37 PM
No h2o2

Hey Jeff...

Is it possible to just put a 4pdt relay in place of the switch for the navi mod? I mean..can i forego the switch, keep everything in the trunk and just have the dvd player kick on the relay and switch all the connections? I thought this way I could just have the dvd in the rear console, and just the run the shortest possible amount of wires.. Now..hmm how to make my remote see thru the closed console lid..hmm I guess a remote IR plug n receiver from my TIVO might do the trick..lol

Did anyone else try it with just a relay? I was curious if the relay coil energizing process would cause any kind of transients or spikes..I'm sure it would be nominal..but you never know..

Steve
Old 11-29-2001, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking... The relay does the exact same thing as the switch, just remotely.

I already bought the relay, and will be hooking it up that way this weekend.

BLK^5 here on the forum has it hooked up that way and it works beautifully.

I'm all into running as few wires as possible to the front.
Old 12-01-2001, 12:37 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

actually, if you follow the instructions i typed up and made, the 4pdt switch would mount right near your feet inside the car

easy to flip the switch when it's right there
Old 12-01-2001, 05:00 PM
No h2o2

Originally posted by mcdanjw
Yes! Exactly what I was thinking... The relay does the exact same thing as the switch, just remotely.

I already bought the relay, and will be hooking it up that way this weekend.

BLK^5 here on the forum has it hooked up that way and it works beautifully.

I'm all into running as few wires as possible to the front.
AHHHH>> okay.,.i was reading wrong (not the fault of alcohol intake) ..I was thinking the mods were happening in the trunk on the DVD player side of the wire..thanks for clearing that up..

STEVE
Old 12-02-2001, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Just finished up in the garage... and the navi conversion works great! Modified the AVC-RBG1 and installed it. And everything worked the FIRST time. I can't believe it!

Used a relay in the back run to a switch under the dash in the front. Works beautifully.

Now if I can just figure out the why my PS2 is making noise.

THANKS TYPESDRAGOON! You da man.