ddx7015 opens and closes by itself when ignition is off

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ddx7015 opens and closes by itself when ignition is off

installed ddx7015 today. unit looks and works great when the ignition is on.... but when i turn off the ignition and take out the key, the unit starts to open and close itself. the only way to make it stop is to either turn the ignition back on or to unhook the battery. anyone else had this happen? i've reset it many times. it will stop opening/closing for about 5 seconds after a reset, but then starts it up again.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
the only thing i can think of is to open it back up and check all the connections.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Instructor

luckily i tried it out before closing it up. i don't plan to take the console apart until i rip the h.u. out to sell the car. i've checked the wiring; a monkey can wire these things up (no offense pro car audio installers).

here's how it is hooked up, anything sound iffy? [head unit] to [...]

battery wire (yellow) to wire harness yellow wire.
ignition wire (red) to wire harness red wire.
dimmer control wire (orange/white) to wire harness orange/white.
ground wire (black) straight to ground (used multimeter and i have a good ground).
motor antenna control (blue) wire left unconnected.
power control wire (blue/white) to on-off switch to remote on of amps.
external amplifier control wire (pink/black) unconnected (i confused this with power control wire above at first, but i fixed it).
mute wire (brown) unconnected.

parking sensor wire (green) to an on-on switch that switches from ground (to watch movies while in motion) and 12V (to act like normal, in case i get pulled over).
ground wire (black) same as above.
battery wire (yellow) to battery wire mentioned above.

i left it unhooked overnight...... maybe it fixed itself. i'll go try and let you all know.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Instructor

so it didn't fix itself. i now suspect my parking sensor wire ckt. anyone tried use a switch for this wire like i am?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:43 PM
Instructor

i tried taking the switch for the parking sensor wire out of the equation by just grounding the sensor wire.... it didn't help.

that leaves only two wires left in the parking sensor ckt.: the ground wire and the battery wire. i'm not sure how i can mess those up. am i wrong by connecting the yellow wires all together?

i also noticed that if i disconnect the wiring harness, it still does it. but if i take out the fuse in the parking sensor ckt, it will stop. any ideas?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

It may be a bad unit. All the wires appear hooked up correctly. Can you take it back and swap for another one?
Old 07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Instructor

I'm going to call Kenwood support first. If they can't help me, I may need to send it back to Streeteffectz for a new one.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
I Just Con't Drive 55 Mon

keep us posted on your progress....I'm ready to pull the trigger on this set up with the nav as well. I want to see how you like it once it's working correctly and what other things you bought for the system...did you leave everything else stock?....if so, did you get the factory sub to work?......did you add speakers or amps?....did you get the navi for it?...thanx and good luck, hope it all works out for ya'.....g
Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Kenwood was clueless; I quote "wow, never heard of that problem before and the 7015 has been around for a while."

For those considering the unit, don't let this discourage you. This is the first time I've ever had anything wrong with Excelon equipment.

But I guess it's time to rip it out and send it back to Streeteffectz. Damn, no h.u. for a few weeks...... and I just finished the rest of the system's install too.

Details:
component fronts 6.5"s + tweeters: JBL P650C
rear 6x9s: JBL P953 3 ways.
4chan amp: JBL GTO75.4 II.
mono amp: JBL CS200.1.
12" sub: JBL GTO1220 in a sealed box.

You may have noticed the JBL pattern; this is because I get a hell of a discount through my company. I got nearly 60% off of everything.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by gr4mm4t0n
Kenwood was clueless; I quote "wow, never heard of that problem before and the 7015 has been around for a while."

For those considering the unit, don't let this discourage you. This is the first time I've ever had anything wrong with Excelon equipment.

But I guess it's time to rip it out and send it back to Streeteffectz. Damn, no h.u. for a few weeks...... and I just finished the rest of the system's install too.

Details:
component fronts 6.5"s + tweeters: JBL P650C
rear 6x9s: JBL P953 3 ways.
4chan amp: JBL GTO75.4 II.
mono amp: JBL CS200.1.
12" sub: JBL GTO1220 in a sealed box.

You may have noticed the JBL pattern; this is because I get a hell of a discount through my company. I got nearly 60% off of everything.
Thanx man....appreciate the feed back....I love the "factory" look of the 7015/7017.....I live close to the boys at Streeteffectz so I'll head up there to get it done....just sent them a message asking a few questions about the navi system before I jump....I hope they have another unit for you to swap out so you don't go too long w/o tunes!....thanks again and post a pic of the dash when you're all done.....g
Old 07-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Instructor

It looks like all your wire connections are right. Could it be maybe the screws on the side that hold the HU in place are too far in, where when the screen tries to go back to fully close when the car is shut off, it can't because of the screw is blocking it from retracting?

Not sure what else it could be. The green wire for the parking brake can just be grounded rather than putting it to a switch.

It's not a bad unit. It could use a few more customizing features, but it pretty much has everything. I like how it'll play DVD+Rs, whether it be a dvd or mp3s.

I only wish I could get the trim more aligned.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Instructor

I'm pretty sure it's not the screws. I used the ones that came with the head unit so I know they're not too deep. Interesting point though.

I haven't messed with the viewing angle at all yet, so unless I am ejecting/loading a disc the face is flush.

Another data point: if I leave the ignition on and turn off the unit, it will open/close itself.

I don't know how long it will open/close itself; I've always stopped it after about 5 mins. It's too painful to watch.

Streeteffectz! Save another head unit for me; better yet, send it now! I'll send the broken one back. PM me please.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

If it were me I would dissconnect everything but just the constant 12v and ingnition and of course ground test it like that if it still does the same thing return it if not hook everything up one by one to see where the problem starts
Old 07-19-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by quad150db
If it were me I would dissconnect everything but just the constant 12v and ingnition and of course ground test it like that if it still does the same thing return it if not hook everything up one by one to see where the problem starts
Old 07-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Instructor

disconnected everything, only left the following:
battery wire (yellow) to wire harness yellow wire.
ignition wire (red) to wire harness red wire.
ground wire (black) straight to ground (used multimeter and i have a good ground).

parking sensor wire (green) to ground.
ground wire (black) to ground.
battery wire (yellow) to battery wire mentioned above.

still does it.

Ron, I saw that you read my PMs. Help me out here! I have to exchange this thing.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry I didn't reply sooner - ship it back to me as soon as you can and we'll take care of it, no problem at all - please send it with the wire harness so I can just bench test it really quick before I send it back. Thanks! If you need further info, please call Craig at the store at 732.388.7000
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fluid Grease

why is that? I have seen head units do some strange things when they were getting power from somewhere they wernt supposed to..I.E getting 12v in from remote wire because of a bad amp..
Old 07-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Instructor

So if I have ONLY the following connected:

parking sensor wire (green) to ground.
parking sensor ckt power (yellow) to yellow wire on harness.
parking sensor wire ground (black, duh) to ground.

it will open/close itself........... notice the ignition is not hooked up; the unit's main power is not hooked up.

the unit can get enough power through the parking sensor power to open and close itself. in my opinion as a hardware designer, that shouldn't happen. i'm surprised that the 5A fuse on the parking sensor ckt. power doesn't blow.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by quad150db
why is that? I have seen head units do some strange things when they were getting power from somewhere they wernt supposed to..I.E getting 12v in from remote wire because of a bad amp..
it was a very sensable approach to see what may be wrong, and I agreed (and wiring as you know is the number one trouble shoot)......take a shot BEFORE he RIPS it out of his dash and SENDS IT half way across the country to get it EXCHANGED and RE-INSTALLS it!........it was ment to support a fellow TLer who's feeling the pain of a mod that needs tweeking!...that's all i ment by .....g
Old 07-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Instructor

it was worth the effort of disconnecting everything and starting over. it took only 10 minutes.

i am now positive that i got a defective unit. i'm sending it off to kenwood in the morning.

it just sucks because i know their going to take forever to send out a new unit. plus i'm worried that they'll try to fix this unit and send it back to me. it seems to me that if they fix it, it becomes a refurbished unit. i didn't buy a refurbished unit. i paid full price for a new, factory fresh unit and i expect a new unit in return. if i wanted a refurb, i would have bought it off of ebay for way cheaper. i've recorded the serial number in case they try to send this unit back to me. i'm not sure what i'll do if they do send me a repaired unit........... probably just bitch, moan, and take it up the tailpipe. if they do, you can bet that i'll never buy or recommend kenwood again..... it hurts me to say that, i've always liked kenwood's head units.

by the way, i'm a CLer. no four door cars for me.