crossover settings using sub out and alpine

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004 | 09:09 PM
My baby's daddy

crossover settings using sub out and alpine

I'm running the sub out rca to my sub amp. The deck is an alpine 98xx.

I was missing some of the desired bass tone in my sub until I turned the crossover frequency way up (the frequency on the crossover goes to 4000htz and I have it 3/4 of the way up). Now I can hear some vocal coming through the sub (not much, but a little). The tone is better and it has no trouble hitting hard on the real lows.

Is the sub out pre filtered with a crossover at the hu?

I want to feel more of the range even if it means the real low hits lose some volume. Is there a good technique for getting the best balance of tone and punch?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2004 | 09:50 PM
Mobile Elec. Guru

Originally Posted by Rusky
I'm running the sub out rca to my sub amp. The deck is an alpine 98xx.

I was missing some of the desired bass tone in my sub until I turned the crossover frequency way up (the frequency on the crossover goes to 4000htz and I have it 3/4 of the way up). Now I can hear some vocal coming through the sub (not much, but a little). The tone is better and it has no trouble hitting hard on the real lows.

Is the sub out pre filtered with a crossover at the hu?

I want to feel more of the range even if it means the real low hits lose some volume. Is there a good technique for getting the best balance of tone and punch?

Thanks
If memory serves me right the default setting on the alpine hu has the internal lpf set at about 63hz. Personally that is lower than I like, and by the sounds of it lower than what you want as well. It probably would be best set at about 80hz.

That being said, the part of the music you seem to be missing is also one of the hardest )in my opinion) to obtain: low frequency mid bass (i.e 100hz-1000hz). I've been toying around with ways to obtain such tones in my tl for a while now. Best solution I have stumbled across is to use the doors for your mor musical mids or high mid range frequencies and to look into kickpanels. I have been told that you can use the qlogic kick panels for the 98+ accord for our cars. If you go that route i would suggest looking at the Adire Koda's/RE XXX mid's.