Crossover Required?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 09:05 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crossover Required?

Hello everyone!

I have been browsing this forum for 2 months now while waiting for my new TSX to arrive. Learned lots about the TSX! Thanks! Well, the big day is here. I'm picking it up today at 6PM.

I, as many of you, would like to upgrade my speakers. I was going to put in the Alpines 171A components up front and 170A in the back doors for now. The question is, do I keep install the Alpine crossovers or do I just replace the tweeter?

I have read in some threads that the the aftermarket crossover will not help since the signal is split at the amp. Pardon my ignorance on the topic but I am trying to understand the stock setup of this car and I don't trust the installer to make that decision for me.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Future Seminole

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey, i dont really know much about the audio either, but i installed the type r components... well the tweeters so far until i find someone who will fit the doors for me, and didnt install the crossovers. the tweeters sound awesome without them, and im about a million percent sure the doors will sound waaay better than the stock speakers. theyre magnets are sooo small compared to the alpines... sorry if that doesnt answer your question...
Old 03-31-2004, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

Thanks!

It's good to know that it sounds good without the crossovers. Has anyone tried with and without them to compare?

Let me know your thoughts?

Thanks - BTW, picked up the car last night and I'm absolutely thrilled...!!
Old 03-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Spooooooon !

Rallyfan -

Why do you want to upgrade already, you dont even have the car yet ? It sounds pretty good for a stock, but that being said, I am going to upgrade too.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:22 PM
Spooooooon !

Originally posted by acuratsx03
hey, i dont really know much about the audio either, but i installed the type r components... well the tweeters so far until i find someone who will fit the doors for me, and didnt install the crossovers. the tweeters sound awesome without them, and im about a million percent sure the doors will sound waaay better than the stock speakers. theyre magnets are sooo small compared to the alpines... sorry if that doesnt answer your question...
Those magnets that you saw were small becuase they are a special metal called neodymium boron. They dont have to be that big, but what really hurts them is that most stock speakers are just made out of paper. Things like polycarbonates and aluminum coated in the better speakers like the type R will make a difference based on that alone. Magnet size increases power handling I believe but the stock amp doesnt put out mind blowing amount of power anyway.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:51 PM
6th Gear

Originally posted by callmetsx
Rallyfan -

Why do you want to upgrade already, you dont even have the car yet ? It sounds pretty good for a stock, but that being said, I am going to upgrade too.
I actually picked it up last night... very pleased!

I want to replace it because I know it can be better and it's a cheap improvement... why not? I'll just make sure the installers are top notch,
Old 03-31-2004, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Since the factory crossover is active, the impedance of the drivers is irrelevant for the crossover points so yes, it is a simple matter of just replacing the speakers alone and not needing the Alpine xovers at all...

-Alt
Old 03-31-2004, 09:07 PM
6th Gear

Makes sense to me... Thanks.