Competition Stereo Question...experts please throw in your advise!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 04:20 PM
Rollin to GT in da CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Competition Stereo Question...experts please throw in your advise!

Hey im building a comp stereo,
right now i have
4 alpine type r dual 2 ohm 10"s
Alpine 7998 headunit- the top of the line except for the f1
Fosgate power 1000a2 for the subs
Fosgate punch 600a4 for the speakers
MB quart QM218.61 components for the front,
my question is, whats the best for the rear deck speakers, should i convert to a 6 1/2 hole and put components in or whats a really good 6x9 speaker, im going for competition here so whatever it is has got to be the shit
let me know what all yall think
John

Also anyone know if that headunit has a good enough EQ in it or should i get an audiocontrol, hifi buys told me that headunits eq is the best on the market that comes in a headunit, but that doesnt really mean anything. thanks again
Old 06-27-2003, 09:38 PM
Instructor

What I gathered from my own research, is that you should not put another set of components in the back. The rear speaker are just supposed be working a fillers. So they don't neccerily have to be top of the line super power speakers. Just something descent. Like alpines, or JL or something.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Instructor

hey JD22CL if you are going for competition i would definately go with 6 1/2 components in the rear... usually the rear speakers are just fills and coxials will work great but if you are going to be competing every little bit helps... as for the rest of your system... i would trade the rockford amps for something like zapco or diamond audio amps... like you said you are going for competition.... rockford is mid grade at best... and then why type r subs... why not jl,id max or something along those lines... and then the mb quarts components... me i am not a big quarts fan i would much rather put some diamond audio HEX or focals in there... and for the headunit... well i love alpine and have very seldom strayed from alpine headunits but i would have to go with eclipse just for the sound quality... and then i would definately go with an external eq for sure...
Old 06-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Get yourself an IASCA Rule book, and go through the point scoring. You're going to have more to deal with than gear. Install, and adjustment is going to have a lot more to do with it than you may think... In IASCA, whoever has the best install, and whoever can adjust their system the best wins...
Old 07-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Only Broke CL member

well with your setup noit much of a chance clarity wise mb quarts have nothing on a diamond audio or a focal. Amps rockford are loud not neccesarily good for what you want and 6 1/2 would be the way to go my car will be pure eclipse vs my old pure rockford i had focal before that any questions PM me
Old 07-15-2003, 12:36 AM
Advanced

I don't think Web has competed before, that's not a cheap shot, but just from what you wrote... Quarts win tons of competitions, and are a major part of the industry.... I hate Quarts personally, and I do prefer Diamond Hex Speakers, or Focal Utopias... The thing is, that in a competition, EQ's tend to make those differences small... On top of that, you're judged on Sound Stage, height, width.... The type of speakers you get don't have a huge difference with this, neither do amps... As far as clarity goes, KICKER has tons of SQ winners, and their amps and crossovers are pretty dirty for normal use (they use different parts in competition)....
Old 07-25-2003, 05:00 AM
Only Broke CL member

would you like to see the trophys. hawaii comps are different i did mostly SPL and won. I never won an overall comp before, i know loud not neccesarilly clear