Canadian install DICE Silverline R4

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian install DICE Silverline R4

I was looking for an iPod adapter for a 2008 Canadian Honda Pilot and found lots of discussion about the DICE Silverline R4 units in this forum. I also received information that the Canadian Honda HUs have the same expansion port.

The DICE specifications sound extremely promising: XM emulation resulting in text display and OEM navigation.

Unfortunately the unit really hasn't met my expectations.

I suspect the Canadian 2008 Pilot HU simply isn't interacting properly with the DICE unit.

In SAT mode (either iPod or Locked mode), I can see XM1 and XM2 displayed on the Navi screen, but I can't select them. Repeated presses of AM, FM, CD, AUX aren't able to enter either XM1 or XM2. Touching XM1 or XM2 on the Navi screen can't select the screen tab either.

In CDC and iPod mode, the iPod is reset to Shuffle On and Repeat One every time I cycle the ignition. Effectively this repeats the same song over and over again, and Track Advance simply restarts the same track To be useful, this means that I have to find the iPod and reset the settings every time I start the car

In CDC and Locked mode, the iPod plays fairly sensibly, except that there is no text display, and since the iPod is locked, even the iPod doesn't show what's playing

Can anyone offer any advice or alternate things to try ?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
use the mode button on the steering wheel to select XM1.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by The Dougler
use the mode button on the steering wheel to select XM1.
Hmm ... good thought.

I tried your suggestion. The HU skips from AM, FM1, FM2 ---> CD : bypassing the XM1 and XM2 tabs which lie in between XM1 and XM2.

This time around, it also locked up my iPod.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:17 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Did you switch the DIP switchs back to the XM mode? afterwards you may have to reset both your stereo and the Dice by disconnecting power.

My trouble shooting skills are limited because I have a totally different HU (TL) but I'm thinking even if you had the DIP's in CDC mode, using the mode button should have selected it.

Try disconnecting the Dice, setting the DIPs to XM and pull the fuse for the HU to reset it. Then hook it all back up and use the mode button to select.

Does the 08 Pilot not have a USB port for ipods?
edit: I just looked over the spec sheet, I guess that's only on the touring model. You may be the guinea pig on this with the dice.

Last edited by The Dougler; 07-06-2008 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
5th Gear

Did you switch the DIP switchs back to the XM mode? afterwards you may have to reset both your stereo and the Dice by disconnecting power.

My trouble shooting skills are limited because I have a totally different HU (TL) but I'm thinking even if you had the DIP's in CDC mode, using the mode button should have selected it.

Try disconnecting the Dice, setting the DIPs to XM and pull the fuse for the HU to reset it. Then hook it all back up and use the mode button to select.

Does the 08 Pilot not have a USB port for ipods?
edit: I just looked over the spec sheet, I guess that's only on the touring model. You may be the guinea pig on this with the dice.
Thanks for the tip about disconnecting power. I'll try it over the weekend. The mode button does select the DICE unit in CDC mode, but not in SAT mode.

Nope the 08 Pilot is iPod-challenged. The 09 Pilot rectifies this.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 PM
5th Gear

You may be the guinea pig on this with the dice.
Definitely appears that way. I tried resetting the power to the HU by removing the fuse. No difference in performance. I even emptied the iPod to ensure the DICE wasn't being overwhelmed by the number of tracks.

I experimented with CDC/iPod mode, but find that upon restart, the DICE reverts to Track Mode even if in Playlist Mode before turning off ACC. The DICE manual says the following about CDC mode:
When dip switches are set to "iPod" mode, only "Track" and Audio source modes are available.
This suggest that there is no Playlist Mode when using CDC/iPod.

I think I'm about done. I notice the DICE support site has had the Honda/Acura FAQ update to read:
Yes, but only through satellite-emulation, which means that the vehicle must have an XM button present on the radio.
I need to experiment a bit more with CDC/Locked mode to see if the PlayList Mode sticks when cycling ACC.