Cad drawing of trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cad drawing of trunk

I am thinking about adding another JL 500/1 amp and another 12" W6. I am wondering if anyone who has made a fiberglass enclosure took the time to make a cad drawing of the trunk. I doubt anyone has this but it would really help me plan out the enclosure so i can maximize the trunk space.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sup Abrams...haven't seen you around for a sec. Sorry..I don't have a CAD drawing of the trunk.

Dang another 12w6v2?! With 2 you're gonna be shakin the windows around the neighborhood! Haha.

I had a quick question about your Injen intake, did you lose a lot or any power on the low end?
I have an automatic just like you and I'm worried..I'll lose a noticeable amount of low end power.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:17 PM
INFORMATION ARCHITECT

Dam Abrams that Avatar is nice work
Old 11-03-2004, 03:32 PM
2004 TSX

That is actually one of my "ultimate car audio goals" is to someday have my trunk 3D scanned, so I can design a system in 3D and get the most use of the trunk. I know some people with 3D scanning equipment, but none as of yet have offered to do this for me for free.

If you want to do some basic stuff in 2D, I can help you if you want to try to build a little library or something...
Old 11-03-2004, 03:39 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, don't have one.

I always found planning custom enclosures beyond a certain point to be problematic. It's more chalk and cardboard cutouts than anything. Since the trunk is the mold, and, of course, the ultimate reference, the better installers I know seem to do it as they go...
Old 11-03-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by elduderino
Sorry, don't have one.

I always found planning custom enclosures beyond a certain point to be problematic. It's more chalk and cardboard cutouts than anything. Since the trunk is the mold, and, of course, the ultimate reference, the better installers I know seem to do it as they go...
That is how my friend designed the box currently in my trunk. However, the two amps mount easily on the sides of the trunk whereas another sub will require another amp. I would just like to play around with a drawing to maximize space as I said before. I would love to take out my spare tire and mount everything there, but I just can't take the chance. Looks like I'm just gunna have to mess around.

As for the intake, honestly I have had it on almost since the day I got the car so I really don't remember what it was like. Either way it does not have that much low end power, and IMO its worth it for the sound and for when v-tech kicks in.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:40 PM
INFORMATION ARCHITECT

I think a 3d cad drawing would be very useful for laying out a idea before any construction begins. Any one can have an idea but to be able to show a picture to a customer to sell an idea would be very valuable.

I know auto cad but not well enough to do 3d cad drawings. 2d wiring diagrams are about as far as I can go
Old 11-03-2004, 07:04 PM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by tsass
I think a 3d cad drawing would be very useful for laying out a idea before any construction begins. Any one can have an idea but to be able to show a picture to a customer to sell an idea would be very valuable.

I know auto cad but not well enough to do 3d cad drawings. 2d wiring diagrams are about as far as I can go
Autocad doesn't do 3D all that will, kind of "dumb solids". Unless your talking Autodesk Inventor which is their parametric solid modeler.

Accurate 3D(when I say accurate, I mean accurate within .010" or so) would be perfect for designing a system for a car, BUT you're talking about way more time and money then pretty much any shop is going to invest. And you wouldn't have an installer doing this, you'd have a sytem designer do the design, then an installer do the install.

So yes, I agree with you Eld, for practical purposes it would be a waste, but from my stand point (working in 3d all day) having an accurate 3d trunk scan would be great...
Old 11-03-2004, 08:15 PM
INFORMATION ARCHITECT

well somting like Pro/ENGINEER http://www.ptc.com/

and i just thought it would be cool and usefull if any one had a drawing allready
Old 11-03-2004, 10:19 PM
2004 TSX

Originally Posted by tsass
well somting like Pro/ENGINEER http://www.ptc.com/

and i just thought it would be cool and usefull if any one had a drawing allready
It would be cool and useful but only to very few people. I use Pro everyday, and it or any 3d package is not really something easy to use(thus being useful to even less people). And I'm certainly not going to model the trunk from scratch, that's just way too time consuming.

Which is why I said the 3D scanning would be great, then I could use that data in Pro and design a system around it. But unless I can find someone to do it for free (and trust me, I know people that do it and I have asked them) or for very cheap, it's not really worth it(to me)...