-- burned CDs --

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001 | 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Question -- burned CDs --

Sorry if this has been discussed in previous threads but I'm new to this forum. I was wondering if anyone could make any suggestions on what type of CDs are best for the factory 6-CD player in a 2002 TL Type-S.

I burned a disc (Maxell gold branded surface, 80 minutes) with EZ-CD creator 4.01 on a Yahama 6x4x16 SCSI CDRW and I noticed some serious skipping on later tracks up to the point where the player REFUSED to play my disc. I have yet to put in a 'legit' CD so I'll assume for the time being the CD player is OK.

Any help / insight would be greatly appreciated. If I have posted this in the wrong part of the forum, my sincere apologies.
Old 05-10-2001 | 03:11 PM
Instructor

I have the Plextor 12x write/32x read/10x re-write. I personally never used the rewrite since the discs cost ALOT more. I used sony discs and never had a problem playing in any car cd players.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL Silver
Comptech Springs & Swaybars
Old 05-11-2001 | 07:42 AM
Intermediate

Your problem might be related to using an 80 minute disc. Try using a 74 minute disc and see if that makes a difference. Some CD players aren't compatible with 80 minute discs.
Old 05-11-2001 | 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Smile

Thanks everyone, for all your help. I'll try using the Kodak Gold 74-min blank CDR that I have.

------------------
'02 TL Type-S (aegean blue) no navi, factory spoiler
Old 05-12-2001 | 01:42 AM

uumm.. here're some pointers from an IT tech (me).. don't use any cd's over 74 minutes.. the info on 74+ min cds is compressed onto the same surface area as 74 minute cds and bends many rules of optical data storage regulations.. 74+ minute cds were originally meant for data, not music.. (they were specifically used in OEM cds so they could not be copied) .. they tend to skip more or become rejects in many CD-players... in addition, green or near-silver bottom CD-R discs (not blue or gold) are best suited for stable music.. CD-RW discs will skip more.. i recommend the newest generation of 3M Imation CD-Rs .. 74min are the best, though i've also had almost no problems burning 74 minutes of music onto their 80 minutes discs.. good luck
Old 05-17-2001 | 03:06 PM

Wink

I agree with you Lew.
On top of that, try to use the same CDR on your system. That's what i am doing. Not a good idea for yours system to get different kind of media everytime you load it.

At least that's what I think.
Old 05-17-2001 | 10:34 PM
Racer

I repsectfully disagree. I've had no problems playing 80 minute burned cd-r's with adaptec 3.0 on 2 different hp cd-writer's. 4/4/24 and 8/4/32. Yes, the discs also contained more than 74 minutes of audio. I've used both TDK and Memorex cd-rs with no problems at all.

My car is a 99TL, so maybe that's the difference??
Old 05-18-2001 | 10:03 AM
Racer

Thumbs up

well all i play in my cd changer is burned CD's. i haven't had any problems at all with skipping...etc. i use Memorex, and TDK in my changer. just my $.02

------------------
98 Lexus LS400
2002 Satin Silver TL-S W/Nav
Old 05-18-2001 | 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've only had problems with I burned cd's track at a time. If you collect all the songs on your harddrive in wav format and do a single burn, no pause, closed cd... you will probably have better results.
Old 05-22-2001 | 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Smile

I have similar problem with my Audi A4 Bose system. I found out that if you use Disc-At-Once it will work. I have re-created all my CDs using DAO, and it works fine.
Old 05-30-2001 | 04:34 PM

Wink

Most of the CD players (including the auto CD players) will only play a single-session CD. It means that you can only record the CD once.

I have no problem of using Prime Peripherals CDRs (74 mins & 80 mins). Cheap CDRs can work. However, some brand of CDRs may have thicker disc than the others. The Prime Peripherals brand is a little too thick for my 96TL stock CD player. Sometime I would need a little push in inserting the CD and a little tweak to get the CD out. No problem on other brands so far.

See the back of the disc how many lines you can spot there. If the CD has more than one line, it means that the CD is multi-session.

And always burn the music in WAV format.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2001 | 08:04 PM
Safety Car

I've personally had no prob w/ 80 min. discs....
I'm using an Addonics PCMCIA 12x burner...
The best discs are Imation and I like the PHILIPS CD-R Audio's I bought... they are suposedly superior for sitting in the sun too LoL
I played an Imation one in the TL I test drove, 80min. had no probs....

Although I installed a CD burner and stuff for an RPH i work with, and her car (Chrys. Sebring with Infinity System) DAMN THAT THING HAS BASS!!!!!!!!!!)
anyhow, REFUSES to play Imation discs.
No probs with any others, dunno why

Originally posted by gym:
Most of the CD players (including the auto CD players) will only play a single-session CD. It means that you can only record the CD once.

I have no problem of using Prime Peripherals CDRs (74 mins & 80 mins). Cheap CDRs can work. However, some brand of CDRs may have thicker disc than the others. The Prime Peripherals brand is a little too thick for my 96TL stock CD player. Sometime I would need a little push in inserting the CD and a little tweak to get the CD out. No problem on other brands so far.

See the back of the disc how many lines you can spot there. If the CD has more than one line, it means that the CD is multi-session.

And always burn the music in WAV format.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2001 | 08:06 PM
Safety Car

I dunno if its due to the update (my burner cam with Adaptec 4, and an update cd to 4.03...)
but you can just drag and drop MP3's and burn the disc as audio, it must convert on the fly and works flawlessly, its great, cuz using a decoder (MP3-->WAV) always took a while, now this burns at 12X and converts at the same time and works great... if anyone wants the update or proggy lemme know
~tom
Old 06-06-2001 | 01:24 AM

Yes, never versions of EZ CD Creator will let you use mp3 to burn a music cd..no problem..

Old 07-22-2001 | 03:06 PM
Racer

This might Help...

I find that buying a CD player cleaner (CD with brush on bottom) and also wiping the CD-Rs with an appropriate cleaner takes sometimes takes away the problem of CD-Rs skipping in you CD player.

My CD-Rs used to skip and not even play tracks, but as soon as I cleaned the CD player and the CD-Rs, it worked fine. It could be coincidence, but it might be worth a shot.
Old 07-22-2001 | 07:24 PM
Racer

Post also -- try burning at 2x

I also found that sometimes CD-R's which I burned at 4x or higher speeds would play on my Discman and on my home stereo system, but not on my friend's shelf unit or in my car stereo. I ended up having to re-burn those discs at 2x. So if you get consistent problems, try burning at a slower speed.
Old 07-23-2001 | 01:35 AM
Pro

Originally posted by poiboy
Your problem might be related to using an 80 minute disc. Try using a 74 minute disc and see if that makes a difference. Some CD players aren't compatible with 80 minute discs.
i overburn all the time and nothing is wrong. try using another brand of CD-R or take ur car to the dealer...... im only using generic brand...
Old 07-23-2001 | 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Agree with genghis burn it slower. Try it it'll work. I had the same problem.
Old 07-23-2001 | 04:30 PM
Instructor

Burn all of my cd's at 12x since i got my sony burner. No problems what so ever. I do agree that cd's should be created in one session. My home cd player and my car had problem with the cd's burned using multiple sessions. Since I started use memorex music cd's and haven't had any problems. I did have problem with my kenwood cd changer in my eclispe with skipping and jumping tracks before I started using CD-R's specifically for music.