boss same as avelectronics

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boss same as avelectronics

Is this the same as the av electronics unit? Is looks the same and its an a/v switcher too. Is there a way that we can make a harness for the boss unit so we can hook it up to the back of our nav unit? Its a lot cheaper then the av electronic. costs around $100 or so. a lot cheaper the av electronics. with the extra $400, I can buy an alpine monitor. If there is a way to make a harness for the nav unit, can some one let me no how to do it. I will be greatly appreciated. Thankz.

http://www.bossaudio.com/products/images/BVVSRF.jpg
Old 11-10-2004, 02:51 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
AV electronics has refused to sell me the vehicle harness. This is smart of them, since that's the only place they have any investment or exclusivity : ) But it still pisses me off.

Most video products are designed in Taiwan or Korea and purchased off the shelf by companies like boss, avelec, etc. Very few 12V suppliers have the volume, skill, or cash to toll something specific for themselves (Alpine is an obvious example). So odds are this is the avelec. and they add the harness.

My expectation is that they tooled a harness and want to make some money back on that investment, and want to make money on the box to help do that. Understandable - harnesses cost money to tool, and you often have to buy 1000 harnesses to get any.

Hoping that at CES this year the harness and adapter makers introduce some mroe harnesses... but unlikely during xmas season, they are all focusing on shipping current products, and no retailers are buying new stuff til January.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Racer

Can we just use a composite video output and find a way to connect it to the back of the nav unit? By having one end plug to the boss output and cutting the other end and hooking it up to the nav unit. Can we do that, or do we have to get some kind of converter the the video output. Sorry I dont really understand how this work. Thankz.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe you would need a composite to RGB converter. That's one of the internal components of the AVelectronics unit.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:06 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Because OE nav systems (and aftermarket nav systems made by suppliers for OEs, like Pioneer and Alpine) have very high resolution, they tend to use VGA-rez LCD panels, which means that they have a widescreen area of 800 pixels wide by 480 high. Putting this in home TV terms for a second, this means they have 480 lines of vertical rez. They run in progressive scan, not interlaced scan, which means that 100% of the lines refresh with each scan rather than 50% of the lines.

By comparison, all those 7" headrest LCD's you see here are 1/4 VGA panels. They have a 480 wide by 234 high rez, and run interlaced, not progressive. Much better suited for composite video.

The "yellow-RCA" composite video signal is limited by all that data being on one line, but typically it just can't come close. It's set up for interlaced scan, so you have a limit of 262 lines of horizontal rez.

In order to run an LCD at progressive rates, it has to have a very fast response time, especially at the lower end of the temp range. That's the problem with most LCD's for car use with progressive scan, as the thin-film transistors get colder they switch slower and you get crappy motion on your video.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah what he said....
Old 11-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Racer

So that means that it cant be done then. Well thankz for the reply guys. I guess i will just have to spend 525 on the avelectronic unit then instead of finding a cheaper way. Thankz again.