Bose Interfaces

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 03:26 AM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bose Interfaces

Thought I'd share a little background on what I've learned about interfaces to the Bose headunit in the CL.

There are two units that installers have recommended to me: the AudioLink PD4 and the SoundGate LOCB. Both have their stregnths and their weaknesses.

The AudioLink PD4 is ideal in a situation where you want to leave the head unit in but replace the amp and speakers, without cutting or splicing wires. Just plug in the custom harness, run wires for your new stuff, adjust the variable-voltage outputs, attach your power turn-on leads, and away you go. Everything works with no drama. When you sell the car, yank everything out, re-connect the factory speakers to the factory wires and everything goes right back to stock.

If you're just adding a sub, or your installer has a preference for SoundGate hardware, the SoundGate LOCB is designed to splice into a Bose system two channels at a time. A pair of these will work quite nicely in a four-channel configuration as well, and might be easier to hide due to their small size. Soundgate likes to point out that the simple design of these devices makes for cleaner sound, but you have to balance that against the fact that they have fixed 1.5V outputs.

From what I've been told, in both cases you want to install these units close to the head unit, before the factory amp. This will give you the cleanest signal and eliminate the factory EQ.

Hope this helps all you tweakers out there!

[ 10-06-2001: Message edited by: Brian Campbell ]
Old 10-05-2001, 03:48 AM
Retired. Not available.

I made it pretty simple. Yank the whole thing out Nothing from the stock system is worthed keeping (the HU maybe but I didn't like it). Adapters from crutchfield can help tapping into the wiring.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:47 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by Brian Campbell:
<STRONG>Pretty much agree, the only thing I kept was the head unit. I'd heard problems about the interface available from Crutchfield, so did some research, and thought I'd share the results </STRONG>
well, if one wanna keep the paper cone Bloze speakers then yes, gets the kit. But those speakers??? What was Crutchfield thinking when they market the kit? I wouldn't touch those speaker even if they are $5/each. The only things that look cheap in the CL are the damn speakers. I would hate it very if Acura admitted that I paid 2K for the several Bose stickers cuz they proudly advertised "Premium Bose Sound System" interesting enough the HU is Pioneer)
Old 10-14-2001, 08:52 AM
Tech Guy / Likes to Drive

Originally posted by SilverKnight

well, if one wanna keep the paper cone Bloze speakers then yes, gets the kit. But those speakers??? What was Crutchfield thinking when they market the kit? I wouldn't touch those speaker even if they are $5/each. The only things that look cheap in the CL are the damn speakers. I would hate it very if Acura admitted that I paid 2K for the several Bose stickers cuz they proudly advertised "Premium Bose Sound System" interesting enough the HU is Pioneer)
Your setup looks (and probably sounds) awesome. I wanted a stealthy look, and have had good experience with Pioneer hardware in the past, so I kept the head unit and installed the PD4 with new amps and speakers.

As for the Blowz speakers and amp, well, they're sitting on a shelf right now, and shall remain there until I sell the car.

Old 10-14-2001, 10:02 AM
Retired. Not available.

Originally posted by bc0203

As for the Blowz speakers and amp, well, they're sitting on a shelf right now, and shall remain there until I sell the car.

Nice job. I read the FAQ's on Bose's website and it amazed me with BS from Bose. They talked as they are the best with all the technology this and integration that I was thinking about getting a Bose speaker set for home but forget it.