Is BOSE 5.1 system better than panasonic?? MP3 :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 01:48 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is BOSE 5.1 system better than panasonic?? MP3 :)

WASHINGTON D.C. -- The all-new Acura RL luxury performance sedan features a ground-breaking new Acura/BOSE DVD-Audio system that delivers surround sound to all seating positions. Unlike many premium audio systems, this system delivers a surround sound listening experience, not only from DVD-Audio and DTS recordings, but from conventional 2-channel CDs as well.

DVD-Audio allows system engineers to create a true "multi-channel" audio system utilizing the 5.1 format to create eight channels of custom equalization. This is a dramatic advancement over current premium "stereo" systems that only offer two channels of music. The RL's Acura/BOSE DVD-Audio system accommodates separate dedicated channels for center, left front, right front, left surround, right surround and subwoofer channels. The DVD-Audio format offers sound resolution 500 times better than CD.

The RL's Acura/BOSE DVD-Audio system utilizes several proprietary Bose technologies including the Bose Cabin Surround circuitry with 10 carefully placed speakers to create high quality 360 degree surround sound at every seat. Typically, advanced systems can only deliver surround sound from specially encoded CDs and DVDs. The Acura/Bose DVD-Audio system also delivers simulated surround sound from conventional 2-channel CDs using proprietary Bose Centerpoint signal processing circuitry, which automatically processes stereo recordings to five independent channels of sound for a multi-channel surround sound experience.

A common disadvantage to listening to music in a car is the constant, varying degrees of road, wind and other external noise that can interfere with enjoyment of the music. But advanced Bose AudioPilot noise compensation technology in the 2005 RL automatically helps reduce the effects of unwanted noise from varying road surfaces, driving speeds or an open moonroof. AudioPilot continuously measures the level of unwanted noise in the cabin, and compensates by automatically adjusting the audio signal to ensure that the music can be clearly heard and enjoyed.

The Acura/BOSE DVD-Audio system was designed from the ground up as a collaborative effort between Bose engineers and the Acura RL design team. Instead of adding audio components to the cabin after the car was complete, Bose engineers were on hand during the very early stages of interior development to design a custom listening environment that would complement and enhance the refined interior of the new 2005 RL.

The RL's audio system features an in-dash 6-disc changer, and standard XM Satellite Radio. In addition to DVD-Audio recordings and CDs, the RL's audio system plays MP3 and Windows Media Audio formats.
Last edited by RyanDL on August 24, 2004 22:08
Old 09-01-2004, 02:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Most excellent

Old 09-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its all relative...
Old 09-01-2004, 02:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
06TL will have it... I guess.

I suggest this thread should be moved tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by rets
06TL will have it... I guess.

I suggest this thread should be moved tomorrow.
Yeah no problem.....I hope it does.

Two big dissapoinments on the RL.....No SMG trasmision or option for 6 speed. Almost 4k pounds and unbalanced weight ratio of 58/42 better and TL, but I would like to see a closer to 50/50
Old 09-01-2004, 07:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Awesome. The only problem I anticipate is Bose; you'll have 5 channels of midrange at every seating position.

Mike
Who has never been impressed with Bose.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Bose!!?!?!?!? Wow, how completely random that the RL won't have the PERFECT and PERFECTLY FINE (!!!!) sound system of the TL, but rather go with BOSE like it's something special!!! I don't get it! Why not use the TL's?

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

carcar
Old 09-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced

no highs, no lows, BOSE!! :wtf:
Old 09-01-2004, 08:01 PM
10th Gear

I had the opportunity to be at an audio convention at the Jacob Javitts Center in NYC last year. They were demo'ing th e 5.1 system. On a whole it is nice but nothing you could not do on your own with a much more impressive bottom end. On a whole Bose is NOT a true car audio company but a home audio company who has a wealthier clientele who they cater to in their audio lines. But honestly there is not a whole lot you can't do on the aftermarket side that won't crush them. It is just a "nice" factory system. Listen to the Mark Levinson factory system out there and you'll forget this whole 5.1 BS real quick. Or just drop a couple of bucks on a good clean amp, some new additions at the factory speaker locations and you'll be able to tear up that Bose system. I am sure I know a whole helluva lot of you are actually buying your music these days on 5.1 too.... RIGHT? yeah I thought so.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My opinion on Bose:

Their DESIGNS are usually quite good.

Its usually those who actually make the units or systems that are the letdown.

Some Bose are quite good, most are mediocre. Some are quite bad.

I'll assume the Acura RL system is quite good since Honda put so much work into this car.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by carcar
I don't get it! Why not use the TL's?
From what I read over at TOV, supposedly the Bose system allows all passengers to enjoy the sound, whereas the ELS in the TL is more for the driver, if that made any sense to you. Cause it doesn't to me...I mean, then why hype the ELS in the TL and then say something like that for the RL's Bose system?
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by phile
From what I read over at TOV, supposedly the Bose system allows all passengers to enjoy the sound, whereas the ELS in the TL is more for the driver, if that made any sense to you. Cause it doesn't to me...I mean, then why hype the ELS in the TL and then say something like that for the RL's Bose system?

I agree with you on why Hype the TL system if the Bose is so much better. But one thing is true is that the TL ststem is mostly designed for the front passengers. I found that out when I went for a ride with a couple of my friends in my TL and I let one of them drive. I sat in the back seat while we had the ELS Acura demo disc playing. I was mostly hearing the rears of course on the DVD Audio. It sounded weird. Where as in the front it gives you more of a true surrround sound feeling. The way the RL system can eliminate this(10 speakers vs 8 speakers) is the door speakers in the rear can play the same thing as the front door speakers therefore giving the rear passenger the same experience as the front passengers. Both front and rear passengers will rely on the rear deck speakers to provide the surround signals. I hope I didn't confuse you.