Blitzsafe DMX v.2x -- success or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blitzsafe DMX v.2x -- success or not?

BACKGROUND

I got the "fixed" version, although I'm not sure that it was even the same fix that most of y'all have been concerned about, because this is the AUX-in version, not the Ipod-specific version. I have an '05 with XM, so keeping XM has been my main concern

I was going to use the AUX-3 and switch out the XM directly, but I preferred the idea of being able to switch to it with the normal steering wheel and head-unit's MODE controls.

INSTALLATION

Installation is easy, once you find the right connector -- when you remove the center pocket, the connector is in the center, pointed up, but behind stuff where you can't see it. You don't have to splice into power or anything, which is nice.

Once plugged into the loop, hitting the mode button on the radio now enables a "CDC" option, which is where you'll hear your MP3 player, PSP, etc.

I then wired up a 1/8" jack, but where to put it? It would be nice to have a jack somewhere rather than a dangling wire. I decided to put it in the "not an ashtray" pocket to make life simpler. Or so I thought. It turns out that the plastic is thicker than I thought, and now I have to take out the pocket and dremel it down (or else fill the hole and try again elsewhere). Ugh.

I swear, nothing is easy, even when it seems like it should be.

HOW DOES IT SOUND?

It sounds pretty good, but the volume is very low. This may be an artifact due to the fact that the MP3 players are designed to drive headphones, not a deck, but I dunno. Also, the bass seems to be exaggerated; I used two devices with the same results. This isn't a problem for most things, but for music that is already bass-heavy, it's a bit overkill. I wonder if this, too, is also an artifact of using the headphone output?

I've read about people using a line amplifier, and I guess now I know why.

If it were a noise issue, I would simply use a GLI, but I haven't gotten that problem yet; I predict I will, if I use a power cord when the car is on.

For now, I can use it as-is, but it looks like I have a lot more work (and possibly expense) to make full use of it.

Last edited by vidgamer; 05-13-2006 at 01:06 PM. Reason: I can't speel.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:04 PM
abs
Cruisin'

How goes it?

Gamer-

How has your Blitzsafe until been behaving? I really want to get one, but I'm skittish given all that I've read about them being somewhat erratic. Would you recommend a line driver and/or a GLI for me if I want to connect a Sirius plug and play unit?

Looking forward to hearing your report.

ABS
2005 TSX w/Navi
Old 05-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

I haven't used it but a couple of times so far while driving (mostly because I'm not in the habit of using MP3s), but it has been OK all the times I've fooled with it. I would give me a couple of more weeks to give it more of a workout.

I've ordered a line driver, and hopefully I'll be happier with it once the volume problem is fixed. (Did I mention just how much money this seemingly simple mod is costing? Ugh.)

I suspect I'll eventually need to add a GLI. What usually happens is that any time you have a car charger/adapter plugged into the 12V socket, these cheap power adapters cause a ground loop with the difference in voltage. As long as I run off of the battery (say, in my PSP), I'm probably OK. I do want to test this, though, and I just haven't gotten time to do it. But this is the problem I had with a car that I had years ago, and the GLI did not deteriorate the sound noticeably, but yet was the only thing that I found that fixed the noise. So, if you find that you need it, go for it.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

I got the line driver. I'm not sure what to tap for power, but I guess it doesn't use much power, so probably any source will do? I am considering tapping into that 14-pin line, but I dunno. Good idea, or no?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You dont have the iPod verison do you? Blitzsafe makes an adaptor specifically for the iPod with the bottom connector that charges it.

Apparently they finally fixed the problem, and their sending me the chip this week...
Old 05-27-2006, 10:42 PM
abs
Cruisin'

What exactly are they fixing? And once you've installed it, could you keep us posted as to if they actually did, please?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by abs
What exactly are they fixing? And once you've installed it, could you keep us posted as to if they actually did, please?
After a few times working, the input would stop switching over to CD-C. I'll let you know...
Old 06-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I got a PIE Line Driver (not too expensive) and tonight I wired it up. I tapped an empty slot in the fusebox that has power only when the ignition is on the 2nd position. (I probably would have rather used the 1st position, but didn't want to keep poking around the fusebox. Maybe I'll go back one day and fiddle with it more.)

I started out doing a great job, having some wire loom to hold the wire, guiding it along some of the existing wiring, to be sure that it is out of the way. Trying to finish up was a pain. There's not a lot of room behind the pocket, so tucking away the two boxes and getting the pocket to fit was a challenge. Also, I ended up crimping the ground connection where I would have wanted something more solid.

Anyway, it's more painful running the wire from the fusebox, but it just seems like that's a better way to do it. It seems more painful though as you have to take off some of the panels to help run the wire.

Setting it to the max volume, it's just about right. With my MP3 player volume at the default middle setting, it's still not as loud as the CD player, but it's louder than XM, so that's good enough for me. The sound is good; I'm definitely happier with the sound now, and will probably start using it more.

And as for the Blitzsafe portion, my "fixed" version seems to be working great. I have not had a bad switchover. Although, I really haven't used it much, still.

Now I have a PIE Aux-3 without a use... yeah, I could keep it in case I want to have two devices, but I dunno...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

OK, new update -- I took out the Line Driver. It had a lot of noise and alternator whine. With the engine running, it sounded like a motorboat, if I cranked it all the way up. The specs on the package list something like a 96db S/N ratio, which would be fantastic, only I got tons of noise. So they obviously didn't test on my car. ;-)

I tried drawing power from different locations in the fuse box and under the dash.

I also tried a R.S. GLI, and to my surprise, not even that removed the alternator whine. But there was other noise in addition to the whine, so I dunno, maybe I have bigger problems. I know they have "noise filters" that go on the power lines, but I've tried that in the past (with an amplifier) with poor results, so I'm thinking that I shouldn't bother with that. Maybe if I had an isolated 12V power source; too bad I can't run the LD off of a battery. Maybe I can get a headphone amplifier (running off of batteries to isolate the effects).

I'm really disappointed to put so much money and time into this and come up empty! Would I have better luck with a different line driver? I'm afraid of throwing good money after bad....
Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 PM
Instructor

From my understanding you got the line driver because the volume was too low? The headphone jack probably isn't the best solution because the sound isn't as good. You could try a cable like this to utilize the dock connector instead:

iPod Dock Connector to RCA Jacks

With this cable you probably will not need the line driver (the cause of your alternator whine).
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

You are right, but I don't have an iPod, which is why I got the non-iPod version of the Blitzsafe adapter. If someone has an iPod, the better way to go would be with an adapter that already plugs into the iPod. Before anyone suggests it, I couldn't possibly bring myself to buying an iPod just to get MP3s into the car!

OK, I had another thought -- I could rig up 8 AA batteries and get 12v that way. I wonder how long that would last? Maybe I could use a relay, just to have it turn on and off automatically and not draw current all of the time. Yeah, that could work. What a PITA. It probably doesn't even use 12v internally!

Last edited by vidgamer; 06-25-2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by abs
I got the new chip today, shipped from Blitzsafe. Replaced it, seems to work fine now, but I need to give it a week before I'm sold on it...
Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Banned

good luck, you need it
Old 07-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by fuckleberry
good luck, you need it
Well, its almost been a week, so far so good. Everytime I've driven since then, I've been able to switch over to CD-C no problem
Old 07-19-2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
why do you have a pie aux-3?