Best way to power component speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to power component speakers?

So is getting a 4 channel amp bridged to a component sytem get good sound quality, or just getting a two channel amp and connecting components to them?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Can be either way. Some people will say you loose a bit of SQ bridging. Some will say you do not. Using a 4 channel bridged is usually a cheaper way to get more power than a big two channel amp. And it gives you the flexibility of running actively if you even got that bug.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Go with a Stereo amp. When you bridge you double the amps noise contribution to the system. Bridging is a kluge solution.

jeff
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
How big is the amp and waht speakers and amp. I can bridge a kicker amp and it can sound like crap. I can bridge my JL and it can still sound great. Many factors here that can lead to good and bad SQ.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ImSofaKingWeTaDid
So is getting a 4 channel amp bridged to a component sytem get good sound quality, or just getting a two channel amp and connecting components to them?
Do you mean Bridge to double the power 4-ch to 2-ch or Bi amp-separate amps channels for the mids and tweeters?

jeff
Old 10-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mercman
Do you mean Bridge to double the power 4-ch to 2-ch or Bi amp-separate amps channels for the mids and tweeters?

jeff

I asked this same question to Eric Stevens of Image Dynamics. I just got an Audison 6.9 which will do 70 x 4 or 240 x 2. I am powering my Image Chameleons with it. He said that more power would be better than more control. At least for my setup it worked. Running active has it's upside for sure but, does require more setup. He said sound quality would not suffer in my setup running bridged versus active. Again, that's just in my setup.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how are those chameleons working out for you? how do they sound?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

My only complaint with the Chamleons is the lack of low impact. These mids are monsters and just seem like they should play with some more kick. It's not bad but, I think could be better. The new Image XS comps are suppose to have better midbass. The tweets on the Chameleons are outstanding to my ears.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Racer

sounds like a good set besides the mid bass.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
My only complaint with the Chamleons is the lack of low impact. These mids are monsters and just seem like they should play with some more kick. It's not bad but, I think could be better. The new Image XS comps are suppose to have better midbass. The tweets on the Chameleons are outstanding to my ears.
I'm assuming you have them in your doors. Did you use any kind of sound dampening material.? If not you should get some dynamat extreme or something similar, that should defenetly improve your mid-bass. The speakers will not play up to there full potential in an incorrect install.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Racer

i wouldn't buy dynamant. try raamat or second skin. a lot better pricing and it's just about the same or even better than dynamat.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
Racer

Now my components are bridged off a JL audio 300/4. I was messing with my speakers last night and moving the sound from left to right. I notice that either way I move it, both speakers are still playing sound. The sound just gets a little lower. I played a couple songs where certain parts only play on one speaker and I don't get that anymore. Both speakers play the same sound. Is this what's suppose to happen when you bridge?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Instructor

no. You need to adjust the input on the amp. I know nothing about JL amps, but i assume you want to have input (from HU) going to channels 1 and 3 of the amp. If you have input on all 4 channels (namely front-left, front-right, rear-left,rear-right) what you are in essense doing is feeding the front-left and front-right signals into channels 1 and 2, which are bridged into one speaker. Thus the speaker gets the left and right signal. Put the front-left into channel 1, and the front-right into channel 3. Then when u bridge 1/2 and 3/4 you get left and right stereo respectively. One thing you DO lose when bridging is fader. Not a big deal, but just a FYI.

Sorry if i got a bit of running sentences and whatnot there and if i wasnt clear...just had a triple cappucino during lunch lol
Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Racer

well i figured out the problem. i guess i misread the manual the first time and wired it up wrong. i was suppose to use a y splitter rca and run the left to channels 1 and 2 and right to 3 and 4. boy what a difference this makes. music sounds more surrounded now than before.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zidenx
well i figured out the problem. i guess i misread the manual the first time and wired it up wrong. i was suppose to use a y splitter rca and run the left to channels 1 and 2 and right to 3 and 4. boy what a difference this makes. music sounds more surrounded now than before.
99% of the time you dont really need to split the signal. There should be a "bridged" option on the amp, this only uses inputs 1 and 3.

hope this makes sense.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

According to the JL manual, you do need to split the rca signal.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraX2
According to the JL manual, you do need to split the rca signal.
K it is not an internal bridging then or something. I have had an Autotek, an xtant, and an alpine that all just required one input when bridging.

Moral of the story, 99.9% =/= 100% sure lol

on a side note, i can mathemetically prove that 99.99999(repeating) is = 100%

K enough friday rambling, back to work lol
Old 10-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Burning Brakes

You are correct. A lot of amps have a switch and only need one set of inputs.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Instructor

AcuraX2

About your lack of bass, I went through the same thing a while back after i installed my first set of components upfront.
I am assuming you just put them in the doors, the problem is that the doors are not sealed therefore it does not matter what speakers you put in there, there will be a lack of base.
The solution to this is to put them in some speaker pods on the floor, I eventually did this using fiberglass in my old car and it made a big difference.
Not sure if you are up for making them because it does take time but it is well worth it. It was the first time i used fiberglass and they came out very good.
I now love fiberglass and am always looking for new projects where I can use it, fiberglass really gives you unlimited options as far as building stuff.
If you are interested let me know I would have to do some searching but i came across a tutorial that really shows you every step in the process which helped me out big time.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 AM
Intermediate

Wish I can get JL...im getting the brand with the "B". Anyways, if I bridge the amp on the rear inputs on the GTO whats the power output on those channels? The amp gets 104watts to 4 channels, but i think Ill power a subwoofer, does this mean the sub will get 208 watts of power and the other 2 gets 104watts?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pjoseph
AcuraX2

About your lack of bass, I went through the same thing a while back after i installed my first set of components upfront.
I am assuming you just put them in the doors, the problem is that the doors are not sealed therefore it does not matter what speakers you put in there, there will be a lack of base.
The solution to this is to put them in some speaker pods on the floor, I eventually did this using fiberglass in my old car and it made a big difference.
Not sure if you are up for making them because it does take time but it is well worth it. It was the first time i used fiberglass and they came out very good.
I now love fiberglass and am always looking for new projects where I can use it, fiberglass really gives you unlimited options as far as building stuff.
If you are interested let me know I would have to do some searching but i came across a tutorial that really shows you every step in the process which helped me out big time.

Thanks for the suggestions. Been there done that. This is not a case where I just got the speakers and threw them in the doors. I have had these comps in several vehicles, installed in kick panels and in doors, with and without sound damping and reflex pads. My saying the lack of punch was just my opinion compared to other top comps I have tried. Not an install issue. Thanks for the input.