The BEST DVD player for your Acura

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Lead Foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BEST DVD player for your Acura

The BEST DVD player for your Acura is. . .

A LAPTOP COMPUTER!!

Instead of spending $$$ on installing DVD stuff into your Acura, why not just buy a cheap laptop computer (you can get a good one for $900) and use it to watch DVD movies and other stuff in your car? Not only do laptops come with HUGE screens (compared to the in-dash DVD players) but they are truly mobile because once you come home after a drive, you can bring the laptop into your house and finish watching the movie! Targus sells laptop car and airline adapters for like $60 after rebates.

I drove my Acura CL-S from San Francisco to Seattle one fine summer day and brought along my Apple TiBook (titanium Powerbook) and watched "How High" on its wide 15.2" screen. After I finished the movie, I played my MP3 collection by hooking up the TiBook to the Acura's sound system.

Isn't using a laptop better than spending $$$ to drill holes and stuff to install in-dash DVD and MP3 entertainment center in the car? Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2002, 06:36 PM
Race Director

For the laptop, the screen is not that good, can't be seen at angles, the sound is not that great, bulky, laptop battery, wires all over the place; not cool at all.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:59 PM
Lead Foot

Originally posted by kensteele
For the laptop, the screen is not that good, can't be seen at angles, the sound is not that great, bulky, laptop battery, wires all over the place; not cool at all.
Sound: hook up your laptop to your car's sound system. Easy to do by using adapters.

Battery: use car/airline adapters like the Targus adapter I mentioned.

I don't know why you said laptop screen is not good. First of all, it is bigger than your typical in-dash screen. WAY bigger. Second, if you buy a quality laptop, you can get an extremely high quality LCD screen. Probably much more advanced/better than any in-dash screen you can get for a comparable price.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:23 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And where are you gonna put your laptop? On the dash? passenger seat? What if you have a passenger? so you plan to drive and watch movie at the same time

Listen to DVD movies using tape adapter that's kindda defeat the whole purpose of watching a DVD movie.

I dont know about other mobil screens that you saw, but my Panasonic screen is clearer, and has better view angles (side-to-side and up-down_ than any laptop in its price range.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

i know all u guys w/the 01 CLS can afford an indash.....LoL. go with an indash screen. kenwood or pioneer. looks alot cleaner. i can see where u'r going w/the laptop but if u into watching alot of movies while ur driving it will be easier and out of the way.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:27 AM
Advanced

i think laptop is a good idea. u can watch a movie in ur car while ur not driving becuz u cant watch movies when ur driving anyways. and after u get home, u can use it too. but seriously, if u have the money, im pretty sure u would get an indash and a laptop.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:08 AM
I'd rather be golfing

I've tried the laptop thing...it didn't work well. Someone has to sit and hold the thing so that it doesn't go flying out your window. Also, the system gets pretty hot since playing DVD's or MPEG's use a lot of your processor usage.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Don't mention the boot time and trying to figure out which key to hit, if you want to pause...
Old 07-16-2002, 02:04 AM
do it yourself, !

I'd definitely put a laptop!!! Just so that I can write some Flash movie that blinks DANGER TO MANIFOLD and while I'm "racing" I can yell SHUT UP at it. Then my floor pans will fly off and my engine will BLOW!! But luckily I can still drive it home after!
Old 07-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Now THIS is the best DVD player!! Navi/MP3/Wireless Internet also...

www.gnetcanada.com
Old 07-16-2002, 05:05 PM
Lead Foot

Who in the right mind would watch DVDs while driving??

I'm talking about the passengers using the laptop. Yes it may get hot while putting on lap but I'm sure there are plenty of laptop holders/trays you can buy in any store.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by guji2
Who in the right mind would watch DVDs while driving??

I'm talking about the passengers using the laptop. Yes it may get hot while putting on lap but I'm sure there are plenty of laptop holders/trays you can buy in any store.
Yes, you can always buy laptop holders/trays, but this is for people that want something more integrated. You lug a desktop and use an inverter also in the car, but, why not? Because it's big and clumsy. It's the same idea, lugging a laptop on and off the car is clumsy. A small built-in unit is what some people, most of them in their right mind want to do. They don't have to watch DVD and the output can be sent to screen that on the passengers can see. Putting the laptop on for example, the front passenger's lap is NOT what I call safety, considering in an accident the laptop would probably cause serious injury on the person.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Okay

hey thats cheap as Sh*&*t ...just buy a dvd player to go in the car..we drive 30k cars and complaining about how much its costs to put a tv in it.....i love my in dash tv......and my headrests, what happens when people in the back wants to see the screen too...laptops are wack...but thats just my opinion,,its like butt holes everyones got one :P