belkin auto kit & ipod

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
belkin auto kit & ipod

i've got the belkin auto kit in my car, with my ipod hooked up to it.

the beauty of this thing is that it charges the ipod while the car is going, and takes the line-out signal from the ipod (for better quality than the headphone jack). it ALSO pauses the ipod as soon as the car is turned off, so that the ipod then puts itself to sleep after 2 minutes, and the battery doesnt' drain.

on my 06 tsx, this is a (near) perfect device because of the aux-in hidden in the center armrest.

i keep my ipod in my car pretty much full time, however, my only grievance is that i have to open my arm rest every time i get into my car to start my music.

does anyone know of a hack or a trick that will allow me to keep the armrest closed and still start my music? i'm looking for some kind of an auto-play feature.

when i had the old 3rd gen ipod, it was simple: i bought the griffin RF remote and strapped it to my parking brake. it no longer works for me since my old ipod broke and i "had to" buy a new ipod video.

there is a remote for these ipods called the iJet . It as well is an RF remote and it is the only remote that has a pass-through dock design so that i can still use it with the belkin charger.

this would be an ideal setup, HOWEVER, the iJet no longer allows the belkin charger to pause the ipod when the car is turned off, forcing me to remember to pause the ipod manually every time i turn off the car unless i want to return to a dead ipod.

so again, i pose the question: does anyone know of an auto-play hack or feature or workaround that i could use with the belkin auto adapter and a 5th gen video ipod?

thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about the Ipod Headphone remote. I'm not sure if you can start the Ipod using it, but if you can, then you can just leave the remote hanging out.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Step up to a usa spec integration unit, that way you'll just have the 1 ipod dock cable too. Still charges it and manages everything, and allows use of the headunit / steering wheel controls. When you switch to the cd-c input (for ipod) it starts playing it, and when you switch off of it (or turn off) it pauses it. Works like a champ, but it is expensive.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tsx536
What about the Ipod Headphone remote. I'm not sure if you can start the Ipod using it, but if you can, then you can just leave the remote hanging out.
apple did away with the inline remote for the newer ipods. the 3rd and 4th gen (monochrome screen and ipod photo) had a port next to the headphone port that was a kind of a data port. the inline remote used both the headphone jack and the data port. the newest ipods (video, nano, etc) no longer have that data port. there are just the dock connector port and the headphone jack

i wish they had the inline remote still, because you're right, that would be a really good solution
Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reach
Step up to a usa spec integration unit, that way you'll just have the 1 ipod dock cable too. Still charges it and manages everything, and allows use of the headunit / steering wheel controls. When you switch to the cd-c input (for ipod) it starts playing it, and when you switch off of it (or turn off) it pauses it. Works like a champ, but it is expensive.

from what i can gather about the thing on the usa spec website is that it basically turns your ipod into a cd changer. does it have true ipod-type navigation at all where i could browse my entire list in any of the forms (genre, artist, album, etc)?

ideally i would have nav (i don't) and there would be some kind of hack that would allow touch-screen ipod navigation on the navigation