Avincar TSX Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006 | 08:36 PM
Instructor

Avincar TSX Install/Review

I just finished installing Eldude's Avincar TSX 8 speaker upgrade and the results are much better than I had hoped for. The complete install took me about 3 days, but only because of the demands for time during the week of Christmas. Here is my review of the install. A sidenote here, I am not technically gifted by any means, and I was hard on toys as a child, so the fact the I was able to complete this install without any major screwups is a testament that ANYONE can do it...

Tweeters: These were relatively easy to install. The old tweets pop out easily with the use of a micro screwdriver. Once popped out just undo the clip and put the tweeter to the side. The wires came from the factory just long enough to plug in the tweeter, so installing the included T-Taps is a bit precarious to say the least. I decided to clip off the OEM harness at the end of the wires to make the wires easier to get to, but this decision is permanent so make sure you want to do it. In the process of clipping the Taps to the wires I managed to mangle two of the Taps with the pliers. Off to the store to get more. In the end I dropped the Taps into the holes more than I want to admit (luckily they work their way out eventually) but got it done eventually. Once installed just plug the tweeter into the T-Tap and drop it into the hole for a perfect fit. One of the tweeters arrived dead, and I must give Ken credit for getting me a replacement delivered the next day before noon.

6X9's: Next I installed the rear deck 6X9 "subs". I used a large flat-head screwdriver to remove the speaker covers. Just make sure to work from front to rear. You will need a socket wrench to remove the old speakers. Once the bolts were out I had to open the trunk to coax the speakers out of the hole with my fist. I then unplugged the harness and installed the new 6X9's. Space is tight for a screwdriver, so I attached a phillips head to my socket wrench and socketed away, making sure not to slip and put a hole in the speaker. Plugged the harness in from the trunk and all was good.

Mids: I was seriously debating paying someone to do this part for me, but I am glad that I decided to do it myself. You WILL make mistakes on your first door, but once you figure things out the other 3 will be easy. I highly recommend purchasing a trim tool before you start. I did not, and although it can be done without one, I destroyed about 5 clips that decided to stay attached to the door. I used pliers to remove them, but a trim tool would have saved a lot of damage to the clips. Also, the rear doors are not as easy to snap off as the fronts, and the tool would have really come in handy there. I will not give a step by step here, as there are many steps, just make sure to TAKE YOUR TIME and follow directions. When installing the wood spacers I highly recommend using a box wrench to hold the nut on the inside of the door. I tried to do it with pliers and I stripped 2 screws. Off to the store again.

Conclusion: I am extremely happy with the sound quality of the system. The tweeters alone are worth the price of admission. They raise the vocals to eye level and are definitive without being at all harsh. They also look great in the OEM holes. The mids are just about perfect and fit perfectly in the middle of the soundstage. I am noticing parts of songs that were just not available in the stock system. The subs are a HUGE improvement over stock. Gone are the boomy lows and are replaced by accurate lows the way they were meant to be heard. I have tested these speakers with many different varieties of music and have not found any that are not well represented by these speakers. Even my Bass CD does not distort the 6X9's. The ONLY rattles I have noticed come from inside the trunk, completely unrelated to the install, and are not heard from inside the vehicle. I will investigate later when I get the time, but for now I am just too busy enjoying the awesome sound quality of the Avincar system. Thanks Ken!

Last edited by danotto; 12-29-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2006 | 01:03 PM
Instructor

nice review on the install process, gives me confidence that i'll be able to do it myself as well. i'm planning to do the same upgrade in hopefully the not to distant future.
Old 01-01-2007 | 01:08 AM
Team Owner

Another happy customer. Nice writeup.
Old 03-05-2007 | 05:47 PM
Disinformation Terminator

And another happy customer here. I did the 6 speakers instead of all 8. Sound quality much improved.
Old 03-05-2007 | 06:37 PM
Drifting

where can you get this set up and how much?
Old 03-05-2007 | 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Unfortunatly its no longer available, at least until Ken re-opens his business. I'm sure he'll post back here what that happens.
Old 03-05-2007 | 07:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by drigo
where can you get this set up and how much?
FYI, this is also the setup that was in my car, that you might have heard at the Jax meet @ Tinseltown.