Audio System Guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio System Guide

I saw this in another forum and thought it would be a great idea to use here on Acurazine! Basically, it’s an instant guide on what components are being used in various setups when upgrading the audio system. Acurazine members edit the various audio levels so people will have an idea of what they might want to upgrade in their TSX and get a general idea of the level of sophistication of the system to help with budgeting.

I haven’t checked the specs of the components below so I’m asking the board experts to modify to your hearts content as some of the stuff listed is just “space filler” until the right component can go in that space, but keep in mind which “level” you are contributing to.

I think this would be worth becoming a sticky once members have contributed their ideas on the information. Mods, of course this is at your discretion!

(1) Description: Beginners – when you want that first audio mod with some good bass.

Source Unit(s): Alpine Navigation Unit / Pioneer Non-navigational Unit
Additional Unit/Component(s): None at this level
Front Speaker(s): Boston FS-60 / Diamond M361 / Hertz HSK 165 / Focal 165A / Rainbow SLX 230.03 / Phoenix Gold TX6.5
Amplifier(s): JL 300/4
Cable: Mercman's Harness+BALUN / Stinger / Phoenix Gold / Audison

(2) Description: – Your have more budget. Serious sound is craved.

Additional Unit/Component(s): AVIC-N1 / TV&NaviToGo / DICE Ipod / USA Spec
Front Speaker(s): Alpine SPS-170A / Diamond M361 / Hertz HSK 165 / Focal 165A / Rainbow SLX 230.03 / Morel Pulse / Phoenix Gold TX6.5
Sub(s): JL Audio 12W0-4 / Image Dynamics ID12V.3 / Diamond M312 / Hertx HX 300 / Boston GS1204 / Phoenix Gold R12D
Amplifier(s): Audison SRx3 / Phoenix Gold R8.0:4 / Zapco i450 / JL 500/1 and 300/4
Cable: Mercman's Harness+BALUN / Stinger / Phoenix Gold / Audison
The “Other” Stuff: RAAMmat BXT / B-Quiet

(3) Description: – High end sound.

Additional Unit/Component(s): AVIC-N1 / TV&NaviToGo / Backup Camera / DICE Ipod / USA Spec / OEM Mp3 Player
Processor(s): Precision Power DEQ-230 / Phoenix Gold Ti EQ30
Front Speaker(s): Alpine SPS-170A / Boston Pro6.5 / Image Dynamics CXS 64 / Diamond S600 / Focal 165W / Rainbow CS 265 P Vanadium / Morel Hybrid Ovation / DynAudio System 240GT
Sub(s): JL Audio 12W6V2 / Image Dynamics IDQ12D4.V2 / Boston 12.5LF / Diamond M612 / Focal 33KX / Adire Brahma / Phoenix Gold Ti 12D
Amplifier(s): 2 x ARC Audio 2100XXK / Audison LRx4.300 / Audison LRx1.400 / Zapco 750 / Zapco 1100M / Boston GT24 / Boston GT28 / Tru-Tech T03-4.150 / Tru-Tech T03-2.250 / Phoenix Gold T500.2 / Phoenix Gold T1200.1 / JL 500/1 and 300/4 / JL 450/4 / JL Monoblock 500/1
Cable: Mercman's Harness+BALUN / Streetwires / Audison / QED

(4) Description: – High end audio / visual experience.

Additional Unit/Component(s): AVIC-N1 / TV&NaviToGo / Backup Camera / DICE Ipod / USA Spec / OEM Mp3 Player
Processor(s): Precision Power DEQ-230 / Phoenix Gold Ti EQ30
Front Speaker(s): Alpine SPS-170A / Boston Pro6.5 Image Dynamics CXS 64 / Diamond S600 / Focal 165V2 / Rainbow CS 265 P Vanadium / Morel Hybrid Ovation / DynAudio System 240GT
Rear Speaker(s): Alpine SPS-170A / Hertz ECX-165 / Phoenix Gold R6.0
Sub(s): JL Audio 12W6V2 / Image Dynamics IDMAX12V.3 / Boston 12.5LF / Diamond M612 / Focal 33KX / Adire Brahma / Phoenix Gold Ti 12D
Amplifier(s): 2 x ARC Audio 2100XXK / Audison LRx4.300 / Audison LRx1.400 / Zapco 750 / Zapco 1100M / Boston GT24 / Boston GT28 / Tru-Tech T03-4.150 / Tru-Tech T03-2.250 / Phoenix Gold T500.2 / Phoenix Gold T1200.1 / JL 500/1 and 300/4 / JL 450/4 / JL Monoblock 500/1
Cable: Mercman's Harness+BALUN / Streetwires / Audison / QED
Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Instructor

no one is going to help build this guide?
Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aascsm
no one is going to help build this guide?
I wish I had even a 1/4 of this guide back in 2006 when I decided to upgrade my system...but, sadly, I didn't and I went to circuit city and probably spent tier 3 money on a tier 0.5 level system.

Anyways, I'm no expert but I like your idea. An overwhelming majority of ppl with TSXs are in fact "nubs" like me who don't know the "good brands" from the "bad ones" so I think if your idea gains steam it can come in handy. Hold yo head up high tho, lol
Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by michep21
I wish I had even a 1/4 of this guide back in 2006 when I decided to upgrade my system...but, sadly, I didn't and I went to circuit city and probably spent tier 3 money on a tier 0.5 level system.

Anyways, I'm no expert but I like your idea. An overwhelming majority of ppl with TSXs are in fact "nubs" like me who don't know the "good brands" from the "bad ones" so I think if your idea gains steam it can come in handy. Hold yo head up high tho, lol

thanks michep21 hopefully the great acuraziners on this site will start contibuting

Let's start with a great site on sound proofing materials and what seems like great prices, this would go under "The Other Stuff" if you find a material as good the ones there or just one you know of at decent prices

http://www.soundproofing.org/

Last edited by aascsm; 04-05-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:58 AM
Need more room in

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's all you need to know as far as sound deadening. Second Skin Pro and Raamat BXT is your best bang for the buck.
www.sounddeadenershowdown.com

I like your idea and your list, only thing I don't agree with is the Alpine Type-S's in the high end sound. They're nice for the "Beginners"
Old 04-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

My only suggestion so far is to use a two channel amp in the first tier, instead of a 4 channel, because you're only instally front speakers. The rears can be powered directly by the head unit
Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lensam69
My only suggestion so far is to use a two channel amp in the first tier, instead of a 4 channel, because you're only install front speakers. The rears can be powered directly by the head unit

Makes sense, what are recommendations for a good two channel amp at the beginners level?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

You did set the bar high with the components mentioned, I would call it simple, but it's definitely not entry level...

If you want to stay JL there's the 2 channel version of that amp:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=436
Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lensam69
You did set the bar high with the components mentioned, I would call it simple, but it's definitely not entry level...

If you want to stay JL there's the 2 channel version of that amp:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=436

So it would look like this

Amplifier(s): JL 300/2v2

Any others at this level?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

For "entry level" I'd go with the Kicker ZX series, like a Kicker ZX350.2 maybe.

I don't really see the value in listing tons of specific models of high-end amps. "Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime." If you are designing a system of that caliber, you damn well better be doing your own research.

Stuff like TVandNav2Go, backup camera, rear fill, etc. is all personal preference anyway, and doesn't really have anything to do with how "high end" a system is.

Not to be a negative Nancy here--I think a sample budget system could be very helpful. But listing a bunch of Zapco, Arc, and TRU part #'s isn't ever going to help anyone.

Last edited by capnxtreme; 04-07-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Instructor

You're missing the point...

Those systems listed are not the final product, just place holders for instance say at the beginners level we decide that the following represents what you probably want to get at the budget level for an amp

Amplifier(s): JL 300/2v2 / Kicker ZX350.2

Once most agreed these are good amps at this level then we move on throughout the list until we get something definitive at each level....most of the stuff listed at each level are "placeholders" until someone like yourself comes along and says "product x is good for a high end system, and quite a few on acurazine are using it at this level"

This eventually will help with questions like

1. How much for this type of system?
2. What do you guys think about this?
3. Does product x make sense if "this" is my goal?

etc........

They can come right to the list and look at what people are putting in their cars...
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM
SNAFU

What makes something like this so difficult is every one's brand loyalty. Everyone has their own preferences when it come to audio equipment. It's usually heavily influenced by their local car audio dealer, or what they are personally running in their own set up.

Personally, I'm trying to have a more open mind when it comes to brands that aren't so "Main Stream". There are quality products out there, that can be had at a fraction of the cost of the so-called "Name Brands". (I'm not setting the best example of this right now with all the Alpine stuff I'm running)

Don't be afraid to try something new, but make sure you do your research first. Ask to see the instruction manual. Check out the specs. Look up the company's website. Personally, I don't like reviews from consumers, because 99% of the time they're very biased.

Most importantly, always remember that the most expensive equipment on the market will sound like shit if not installed correctly. Never skimp on the install. Unless you're skilled enough to do most of it yourself, at least a third of your budget should be devoted to the install.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Instructor

I don't think this has to be difficult at all because there seems to at least be a bit of consistency in the products most are using...

With "that" said...this list is a "recommendation" list of products, not an end all be all...its to give the reader a starting point when they are considering what type of system they want to put in their car...this is no different then when you go to a car audio person and say "I want to do X in my car with A amount of money"....they have recommended products that you can try at that price level....this is what this guide would be like....

And you right, research first which is why this guide could be so invaluable....

An example

Instead of someone coming on the board and saying "I want to put an amp in my car and don't want to spend more than X...what can I get?" and then now you have back and forth conversation to find out more information about what they want, how much to spend etc.... they can instead look at the list, decide say, they want a budget system and instead ask "A JL 300/2v2 cost around $300, what other brands are out there for around this price with similiar features?"

They would understand, that typically this is what members are spending for this type of performance at X level....
Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM
SNAFU

Would we assume self install, or professional? Also, shouldn't we set price parameters? My idea of "budget" may be quite different than someone else's'. We should also list typical install prices (i.e., and amp should cost about $60 to have installed), If for no other reason than to give people an educated choice between doing it themselves, or paying someone else to do it for them.

These are just some random suggestions.......