Audio Install - Pioneer, JL Audio, Kicker

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Audio Install - Pioneer, JL Audio, Kicker

Last month a friend and I re-did my entire audio system. I replaced my headunit with the Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT, my components with Polk db651s speakers, and my sub with a Kicker RMB8. I have a JL Audio 300/4v1 powering the components and a 250/1v2 powering the sub. JL Audio amp kit with JL Audio battery terminals. I upgraded the big three ground wires also with 4 gauge wire. It took about 6 days to finish, as this was our first job of this nature and there was some customization involved.

Here are some pictures of the amps and head unit:

The Kicker sub is just not doing it for me so I plan to get one of uncald4's custom sub enclosures to hold a single 10" or 12" sub. The amps are topped with a piece of Lexan to protect it from scratches and dings.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
spaz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice!

i really like the idea of a stealth install like yours.
i already picked up the rmb8 and i have a set of components in mind too.

do you really think you need a seperate amp for the sub? i was going to use 2 channels off a 300/4 for the front comps and use the other two bridged to the rmb8. your comps might need more juice than mine though.

what don't you like about the setup? not enough thump from the sub or doesn't hit low enough?

and if you get another 10 or 12in enclosed sub are you going to keep the rmb8 as a midbass or just ditch it?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Tasty, tasty! That deck looks damn nice! Very stealth. Good work and you still have all your trunk space. That 250/1 needs to be put to work!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by tegkid
Nice!

i really like the idea of a stealth install like yours.
i already picked up the rmb8 and i have a set of components in mind too.

do you really think you need a seperate amp for the sub? i was going to use 2 channels off a 300/4 for the front comps and use the other two bridged to the rmb8. your comps might need more juice than mine though.

what don't you like about the setup? not enough thump from the sub or doesn't hit low enough?

and if you get another 10 or 12in enclosed sub are you going to keep the rmb8 as a midbass or just ditch it?
Let me start off by saying that I'm no car audio expert, but I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. A better person to ask would be Travis (uncald4) as he has a wealth of knowledge in this area and helped me through my whole process. Thanks again, Travis! I am using his dash kit and his steering wheel control harness so I still have the use of those controls. He really knows his stuff and is very helpful.

When I was planning out my upgrade I wasn't trying to win any sound contests, I just wanted a clean set-up with a nice sound, and I wanted quality equipment so I wouldn't have any issues in the future.

The RMB8 can take 175W RMS, so you'd probably be fine with running two channels from a 300/4 as long as you don't crank it, but read my statements below. How will you be powering the rear components?

I got a dedicated amp for the sub because from what I've read, it's better to have an overpowered amp running at <80% power than an underpowered amp running at 100% power because above a certain percentage of power output you can get distortion. By having a 250W RMS amp I could run it at 70% power or less to the RMB8.

The same thinking goes for my components, which are rated to handle 55W RMS and my 300/4 puts out 75W RMS per channel so I can run the amp at 73.3% power.

Also, I could easily upgrade my sub if the RMB8 wasn't enough, which ended up being the case, and I wanted to do this install job only once so I wanted to get it right the first time.

Since it is a mid-bass driver and not a true sub, it doesn't have enough thump, nor does it go low enough for my taste. I'm barely putting power to it and it maxs out like crazy. Maybe I have a defective sub, because from the threads that I read about others putting in an RMB8, it should have worked better.

When I get my new sub, I may keep the RMB8 as a mid-bass and just run it off of the rear channels of my 300/4, since it will be easy to run wires and I already have everything installed, and since my components use 55W RMS each, the 300/4 has some extra power to use. I'll see how I like it and then decide.

Last edited by AMGala; 01-06-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by uncald4
Tasty, tasty! That deck looks damn nice! Very stealth. Good work and you still have all your trunk space. That 250/1 needs to be put to work!
Thanks! As you know, keeping my trunk space was always a main goal of this install. Thanks again for all of your help, I would've been a fish out of water without your guidance.

I will be putting that 250/1 to work (most likely) a 10w3v3 or a 12w3v3 after I save a bit more to purchase that and one of your enclosures!
Old 01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice with what u did to the amps, i wish i had that much spare, with the box i have, cuts it in half
Old 01-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Yeah I had an RMB8 and it didnt do anything for me, so I have a 10" Xplod with and alpine amp in its place.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
spaz

Originally Posted by AMGala
Let me start off by saying that I'm no car audio expert, but I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability. A better person to ask would be Travis (uncald4) as he has a wealth of knowledge in this area and helped me through my whole process. Thanks again, Travis! I am using his dash kit and his steering wheel control harness so I still have the use of those controls. He really knows his stuff and is very helpful.
When I was planning out my upgrade I wasn't trying to win any sound contests, I just wanted a clean set-up with a nice sound, and I wanted quality equipment so I wouldn't have any issues in the future.
same situation here. i've already talked to Travis about my setup too. It should be a bit easier than yours though because I plan on keeping my factory headunit and using an OEM PAC2 to go to the amp.

The RMB8 can take 175W RMS, so you'd probably be fine with running two channels from a 300/4 as long as you don't crank it, but read my statements below. How will you be powering the rear components?
i actually won't be running rear speakers. just the front 2 ways and sub.

I got a dedicated amp for the sub because from what I've read, it's better to have an overpowered amp running at <80% power than an underpowered amp running at 100% power because above a certain percentage of power output you can get distortion. By having a 250W RMS amp I could run it at 70% power or less to the RMB8.

The same thinking goes for my components, which are rated to handle 55W RMS and my 300/4 puts out 75W RMS per channel so I can run the amp at 73.3% power.

Also, I could easily upgrade my sub if the RMB8 wasn't enough, which ended up being the case, and I wanted to do this install job only once so I wanted to get it right the first time.
ok that makes sense. and i feel you on that. do it once right and don't worry about it. i went through so many systems in my last car that at the end it was just a money pit and only sounded decent.

Since it is a mid-bass driver and not a true sub, it doesn't have enough thump, nor does it go low enough for my taste. I'm barely putting power to it and it maxs out like crazy. Maybe I have a defective sub, because from the threads that I read about others putting in an RMB8, it should have worked better.

When I get my new sub, I may keep the RMB8 as a mid-bass and just run it off of the rear channels of my 300/4, since it will be easy to run wires and I already have everything installed, and since my components use 55W RMS each, the 300/4 has some extra power to use. I'll see how I like it and then decide.
after reading dr. cookie's old thread and a couple other i have high expectations for this sub so hopefully i won't be dissapointed like you were.

thanks for all the info.
i think i'm going to run the same setup i had in my head before but now i'll be prepared to drop in a real sub and 250w amp later.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
spaz

oh and do you have any pictures of where you mounted your tweeters?
thanks again.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM

oh and do you have any pictures of where you mounted your tweeters?
thanks again.
In my case, the tweeter is located in the middle of the component.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Man we have almost the same setup. BEsides the deck well its kind of different. I have the polk DB651's and kicker SSMB8 i guess its the newer version. Im just going to get a amp where I can hide it so when I open my trunk no one can see it.

I have NO expirence in car audio and I dont want to attempt to do that bose swap out I need to find someone that knows! LOL!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 03TL_typeS
Man we have almost the same setup. BEsides the deck well its kind of different. I have the polk DB651's and kicker SSMB8 i guess its the newer version. Im just going to get a amp where I can hide it so when I open my trunk no one can see it.

I have NO expirence in car audio and I dont want to attempt to do that bose swap out I need to find someone that knows! LOL!
Doing it with a buddy, although a time consuming and sometimes aggravating process, will teach you a lot about this sort of stuff and how to nearly strip an interior. It was a lot of work but I'm glad I did it myself, and so is my wallet!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Team Owner

^ Yea i think i will be satisfied with the SSMB8 because I am not into bass. I dont like subwoofers so thats why I went with the SSMB8
Old 01-06-2009, 11:11 PM
03' NBP TL-S

nice.. sorry for the dumb question but is a kicker the same thing as a sub? if so, that's a cool spot for it
Old 01-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Leo Type-S
nice.. sorry for the dumb question but is a kicker the same thing as a sub? if so, that's a cool spot for it

No its a midbass speakers its a 8" the reason it fits is because is so shallow.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Leo Type-S
Kicker is the brand, not a specific type of subwoofer.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
That's actually the headunit I plan on getting before. Nice setup.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by JCharged
That's actually the headunit I plan on getting before. Nice setup.
Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
In my case, the tweeter is located in the middle of the component.

that's not a component
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive been thinking about getting that head unit, what are your impressions with it?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Pro

hey quick question! How do are you liking the polks? I just got a new head unit and hooked up my stock sub to it and all the base is going through the speakers and it sounds like shit! Are the polks plug and play or do you have to have an amp for em? Also did you have to do any modding to fit them in the front or did they just fall into place. sorry for so many question i jsut wanna make the right decision. THANKS!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

I have polks havent installed them heard there going to be lovely. It looks like he is running one of those JL amps.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by eggyhustles
that's not a component
What is it then? I don't know the different terminologies.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by taintedplay
ive been thinking about getting that head unit, what are your impressions with it?
I like it a lot! It has a lot of inputs, Bluetooth, and I have the HD radio tuner so everything sounds great. The only complaint I have is that when you are controlling your iPod through it, it is somewhat hard to see the titles of everything because the screen shows limited characters.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by nayaab88
hey quick question! How do are you liking the polks? I just got a new head unit and hooked up my stock sub to it and all the base is going through the speakers and it sounds like shit! Are the polks plug and play or do you have to have an amp for em? Also did you have to do any modding to fit them in the front or did they just fall into place. sorry for so many question i jsut wanna make the right decision. THANKS!
Like I said earlier, I'm a relative noob when it comes to car audio. I am running the speakers with an amp because my headunit only puts out about 20-25W RMS per channel. I like how they sound, but again, I haven't had much to compare it to other than the stock system. As for getting them to fit, it was a bit tight to get the holes to line up with the holes in the door, but with some long screws and spacers they fit fine.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Cruisin'

I also have the polk db6501 components in all doors powered by an alpine pdx-4.100 amp and they sound amazing. I love polk they have some of the best components around!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 AM

Hey Onedaful, where in CT are you from?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

Im located in Cheshire right now right outside of hamden not many people know where it is.. Where are you at because it would be awesome to find someone to help work on the cars!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice clean install. Any pics of the speaker install process?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Onedaful
Im located in Cheshire right now right outside of hamden not many people know where it is.. Where are you at because it would be awesome to find someone to help work on the cars!
LOL I know Cheshire, my gf and a close friend live there. I'm from North Haven, so not far from you at all.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by death
Very nice clean install. Any pics of the speaker install process?
Sorry, no. We were too focused on getting everything done to document it properly.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Cruisin'

LOL I know Cheshire, my gf and a close friend live there. I'm from North Haven, so not far from you at all.
Wow thats insane i cant believe how close you are. We should set something up sometime if your interested. Get back to me
Old 01-11-2009, 05:47 PM
spaz

What is it then? I don't know the different terminologies.
components have separate components
like you can have 2 way components and 3 way comps

2 ways are a mid and a tweeter
3 ways are usually a mid bass a mid and a tweeter

what you have are coaxials.
not generally recommended but definitely get the job done.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM

components have separate components
like you can have 2 way components and 3 way comps

2 ways are a mid and a tweeter
3 ways are usually a mid bass a mid and a tweeter

what you have are coaxials.
not generally recommended but definitely get the job done.
Gotcha...thanks for the info
Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Onedaful
Wow thats insane i cant believe how close you are. We should set something up sometime if your interested. Get back to me
Another local guy, SickTypeS is from Wallingford...he has an '02 SSM TL-S, also modded...give a nod if you see us around
Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Cruisin'

Another local guy, SickTypeS is from Wallingford...he has an '02 SSM TL-S, also modded...give a nod if you see us around
Yeah definitely im in wallingford alot its cool to find people in CT because noone else lives here. Especially around cheshire lol.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

Sick install pics AMGala!!!! ..just a quicky ? for ya, what'd you use to mount your amps? ..is there a rack behind them, or did you just mount them on there with some screws?
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
Sick install pics AMGala!!!! ..just a quicky ? for ya, what'd you use to mount your amps? ..is there a rack behind them, or did you just mount them on there with some screws?
Each amp is mounted on a piece of carpet-wrapped MDF, which was bolted to the seat frame supports.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Each amp is mounted on a piece of carpet-wrapped MDF, which was bolted to the seat frame supports.
..ahh, damn.. that looks hella clean. I might just "steal" that idea from you... hehehehe!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Props on retaining your factory trunk space.

That has always been something I need to remedy because I drive a coupe...space is at a premium.

I was trying to talk my girlfriend into getting that deck for her Accord.

Quick Reply: Audio Install - Pioneer, JL Audio, Kicker