TSX: Attn: Mercman - Advice For Adding A Sub To Stock 2008 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Attn: Mercman - Advice For Adding A Sub To Stock 2008 Radio

Aside from doing things correctly with one of the no longer produced harnesses your famous for, what is your best advice to simply add a sub to the stock system? (Dont have the budget for 2 quality amps, and mid's/highs all the way around)

From what Ive read, what Im looking for is a quality line out converter. Any suggestions? Maybe you have another way?

Also if I do use a LOC, which audio signal should I tap into, the stock 6x9 mid bass speakers, or the full range rear door speakers?

Ive found decent sound from the stock system by turning the bass down to negative 3, and keeping the treble at 0 even up to volume levels 30-34. (windows down 50-60mph cruising)

Just looking for a simple way to add some thump without gutting and totally re-doing the whole setup.

Thanks,

-Anders
Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
If your amp has speaker level inputs then you should use them instead of a LOC. If you are not bypassing the factory amp and just want to add a sub then your options are;

Remove the 6x9s and feed the sub amp from there. The draw back here is the factory amp is tuned with a “bump” or kick in the sub range to try to enhance the sound of the 6x9s. You may or may not like the sound of this “enhancement’ with your sub set up. Then again, you might so give it a try.

Tap the rear door speakers; this will give you the ability to fade the sub by adjusting the rear level. The draw back is the rear door feeds are limited in the low frequency range to blend with the rear 6x9s.

Tap the front door speakers, this gives you the flattest low end response but takes away the ability to fade the sub from the HU.

My advice to anyone wanting to improve the sound system in the TSX is to bypass the amp and install some quality components up front and a sub if you want one. When I had the 06 people were amazed at the sound quality from my system.

Although I no longer sell anything on AZ and no desire to do so ever again, I am working on some solutions for the Civic and 2nd gen TSX base and ELS. It is possible, if all goes well, that there will be a high output converter adapter available by this summer in small quantities. It will basically plug in at the factory amp and produce 4 clean hi voltage line outs. I have already tested a solution for the 2nd gen TSX base I am working with someone to possible manufacture and market specialized solutions for our beloved cars.

Jeff
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, you mentioned what you are working on right now is for the second gen tsx, is this something that would also work with the first gen?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Anything I do for the 8th gen Civic Premium system will be compatible with the 1st Gen TSX.
Jeff