Anyone using a Crossover, EQ, or Line Driver before the Bose amp?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone using a Crossover, EQ, or Line Driver before the Bose amp?

I’m going to add a sub and Class D amp to the stock system. I would like to use a crossover’s low pass output for the Class D, the high pass for the Bose amp. I eventually will replace the Bose amp and speakers, and want a crossover or equalizer anyway.

Would adding gain to the Bose amplifier's input cause clipping or damage the amp? The stock input is about 500mV? I assume a higher voltage signal (like 2 volts) would be bad.

Will the high pass filter improve the sound of the Bose amplifier and speakers?

I am looking at the Audio Control 3XS. All three output's gain (front, rear, sub) are adjustable. But, the lowest possible gain is not stated in the online owners manual.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/caraudio.htm
Old 03-01-2002, 08:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't think you can connect an aftermarket eq to the stock bose amp cause there are no rca inputs on the stock amp. if you want to just add bass for now, why not just get the signal from the rear speakers to feed the amp for your sub. then it would be easy to upgrade in the future and you can add the eq then when you decide to change the bose amp. here's silvernight's link to add an amp to power a sub. not sure if you've seen this yet... http://silverknight.clickhere2.net/sound.html
Old 03-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using a AudioControl 4.1. No problems whatsoever... Sounds great too.

Just spliced RCA onto the input wires on the stock amp. Everything hooked up and worked fine.

I've had it hooked up this way for 3 months now and use it a lot.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by mcdanjw
I'm using a AudioControl 4.1. No problems whatsoever... Sounds great too.

Just spliced RCA onto the input wires on the stock amp. Everything hooked up and worked fine.

I've had it hooked up this way for 3 months now and use it a lot.
thanks.

So you are using:

Head Unit -> 4.1 -> Epicenter -> 3xS -> Bose Amp/PPI -> Stock Speakers/Momo

The head unit drives the 4.1 and the 3xS provides a signal to the Bose and PPI amps?

Do the stock speakers sound noticeably better?
Old 03-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

That's pretty much it... except I'm not running the signal through the 3xs before the stock amp. I guess I could, but I'm not getting any distortion from the bass in the stock speakers, so I didnt' mess with it.

So for the stock speakers the path is audiosource - 4.1 - stock amp

for the sub the path is audiosource - 4.1 - epicenter - 3xs - ppi

I've got this hooked up to a switching system, so when I wanna listen to the stock headunit, the 4.1 is cut out of the loop.

The 4.1 only works with external audio sources, such as a portable minidisc player and my ps2.

Okay, I just read that through, and its confusing... looks like this:
Old 03-05-2002, 04:34 PM
1 Phat CL !

HEY mcdanjw
what is ths switch of yours on your diagram and what is the y splitter, do u have a pic?
what is your hi low?
the reason i'm asking this is because, i connected my hi low to my stock rear 6x9 to get out for subs, subs sound good,
later i connected a line driver that gave tremendous bass out of the subs but started giving me MMMMMmmmmm noise, sounds like altenator noise, because when i accelarate sound gets high pitched and low pitched at stop signs. what can i do to get the noise out, pull another power source and remote for the bose amp?
Old 03-05-2002, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

The switch in the diagram is an A-B switch made by Sony.

It allows me to toggle between sources feeding the amps, between the factory head unit and the 4.1.

I spliced it into the inputs on the factory amp.

The sound you're describe is definitely alternator noise. Those high-low converters are notorious for making noise, and if you ran it through a line driver I'm sure that made it noticable.

The y-splitter in the diagram keeps me from needing those, it provides a CLEAN signal from the audio source for the amp powering the subs. It's an RCA y-adapter you can pick up at Radio Shack for 5 bucks.

I'm not sure what you can do to get rid of the noise with your current setup. I'm sure it's the high-low converter that is the culprit, and I doubt something like a ground loop isolater would fix the problem. But that might be something worth trying before you consider rewiring your entire setup.

Follow me?
Old 03-06-2002, 08:02 AM

That's pretty much it... except I'm not running the signal through the 3xs before the stock amp. I guess I could, but I'm not getting any distortion from the bass in the stock speakers, so I didnt' mess with it.

So for the stock speakers the path is audiosource - 4.1 - stock amp

Thanks for the diagram. So the high pass outputs of the 3XS are not used.

If the signal from the 4.1 is not giving the stock amp any problems, the 3XS should be fine.

This is what I am contemplating. If I try it, and the Bose setup sounds bad, I can just add a y-splitter and bypass the 3XS. Thanks for the idea. Did you buy your Audio Control stuff online?
Old 03-06-2002, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Exactly, I'm not using the high pass out of the 3xs.

I'm sure what you've shown in the diagram will work fine. And sound good too!

After you hook it up, be sure to post again and let us know how it turned out. I don't know of anyone that has tried to do that...

I bought my 3xs from a local stereo shop, it was a display model, but brand new, never used. $75.

The 4.1 I got off eBay for $100.

You might even consider a 4.1 instead of the 3xs. It has a sub out you could use and would allow you to equalize the system. Would accomplish the same thing as the 3xs, but give you more flexibility. Plus it has an auxillary input you could use for a portable device of somekind. Just an idea...
Old 03-06-2002, 09:54 AM

You might even consider a 4.1 instead of the 3xs. It has a sub out you could use and would allow you to equalize the system. Would accomplish the same thing as the 3xs, but give you more flexibility. Plus it has an auxillary input you could use for a portable device of somekind. Just an idea...
I looked at the 4.1 owners manual online. It did not show a sub-out.

Does the 4.1 have main front and rear inputs? Or would I just use one (front or rear) from the head unit.

The manual states to use the 4.1 to control the master volume. Could I use the head unit/steering wheel controls instead and put the 4.1 out of sight?

Sorry for all the questions. I have not found a local store that has Audio Control products. I could also consider a trunk mount eq.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I guess it doesn't have a sub out... my bad. It has sub gain controls on the front, so I just assumed.

It just has two 2 channel inputs. So you'd have to use all of the inputs and outputs if you wanted to still be able to use the front to rear fader. That's the way I'd do it.

And yes you could put the 4.1 out of sight. You'd just adjust the volume level on it to usable level, and then put it out of sight. The volume on the headunit function just fine.

That's not a bad idea, but there is absolutely no good place to put it and have it easily accessible, unless you want to give up your console space.

If you're planning on putting it out of sight and not using the EQ features, or the a-b input capability, the 4.1 may be more than you need.