Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 11:05 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answer to Nokio's Question

The original message:
Enclosure
Hey whats up?

Since you are the authority on sound here, I would like to ask just a few more questions if possible.

1) what enclosure is best for 2 idmax's - i just read that you have a bandpass infinite baffle style ported into the cabin. can the idmaxs with a crossfire bmf 1000d each run in this setup?

2) what are some good resources for custom fiberglass molding done, or can i do it myself? and also, would the idmax's crack the fiberglass molding? (i want fiber glass instead of ugly sealed boxes)

3) do you know of any places in Los Angeles that are reputable for sound installations?

4) what should i consider when doing my install

Thanks
Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nokio:
I'm by no means an authority I just know a few things...but I appreciate it.

1) Your IDMAX's can be put in any enclosure you choose...sealed, ported, or bandpass depending upon what you're looking for in terms of sound quality and loudness. There's actually no such thing as an infinite baffle bandpass box...why? Because infinite baffle assumes box volume -> infinity. I actually just have a standard bandpass box, albeit designed in software...that's ported through the cabin. You can only use infinite baffle subs for infinite baffle applications. Your IDMAX's are not infinite baffle subs. If you want very good SQ while sacrificing some loudness, go with either ported or sealed. A properly tuned ported box will sound as good as a sealed...it's just that a sealed box takes up less room. Neither of these you can port into the rear cabin though. Or you could go bandpass...which passes a band of frequencies, while cutting off the rest. This box also has to be properly tuned, and will give you a marked bass improvement in it's tuned range of frequencies. And if you're looking for boom, you'll tune it low...to say 43Hz or so. However realize that whatever midbass that your subs could have produced is now filitered out...so you have no midbass...which if you want a perfect sound reproduction will lead you to want woofers or even small subs up front. But if you're just looking for a bass system you won't need that. Let me stress that the bandpass box has to be designed PERFECTLY or else it won't give you good response...you have to have someone know what they're doing.

2) I have done fiberglass a long time...but it's a long process. Mentally it's not hard...but you have to be careful because it's easy to mess it up. I don't believe Q Logic or any other place that comes to mind makes prefab stuff for our cars...so it will have to be a custom job. The IDMAX's won't crack fiberglass...it's stronger than wood per square inch...however i don't understand what you mean about wanting fiber glass instead of ugly sealed boxes. You can make fiberglass sealed boxes, or ported or bandpass, as well as wood versions of all three. The only reason you'd use fiberglass is to either save on weight, or so you could custom form the box, which is much more difficult to do with wood. Granted, I use fiberglass, but make sure you know why you're using it...as it's more difficult to deal with and more expensive.

Here are some links about fiberglass stuff.
http://ww2.esn.net/%7Ejbw/kicks/kicks.htm
http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~bplesn/fiberglass.html
http://www.fibreglast.com/TheFundame...9365037da6a290

Places to buy:
http://www.shopmaninc.com/
http://www.selectproducts.com/

3) I don't know any off the top of my head...you can ask Bill Burton over at Mobile Electronic's Car Stereo Review magazine... http://www.m-emag.com. He should be able to suggest one or two if you email him. Just email MobileEnt1@aol.com and ask them. Also a good friend of mine...Kevin Campbell...designs boxes for a living...and is very good at it. He'll want to sell you a set of his new speakers and boxes...but don't be afraid to say "No, I just want a box." His email is kacampbell@adelphia.net.

4) When doing your install...assuming you're doing it yourself...you want to decide on two things...first what you're looking for in terms of sound...a. loudness (SPL) b. quality (SQ) or c. a combination of loudness and quality (SQL). With that in mind, you will choose the type of box you want...as well as other future components. The second thing you need to decide on is how much cash you have to spend. That will narrow a LOT of options down. Believe me. Once you get deep into the install...if you have a large enough install...aka subs, other speakers, multiple amps, new HUs etc...you will want to decide on two more things...your sound staging and your theme. Sound staging is how you want your sound to actually "sound" and is determined by, again, your sub box, as well as how you place other component speakers, deaden your car, etc. Your theme may be a color theme, a "sleeper" theme where you don't see the addition equipment, or anything else. But it brings everything together. I have a blue/silver/black color theme in my car...and in addition a minimalist theme that states "you have to be able to return the car to stock condition without replacing many parts". That second one is a lot harder than it sounds.

Hope this all helps Rob...anything else you need just let me know.

Austin519
p.s. - Since I seem to take too much space up in PMs if you ever need to contact me just email me or, better, just do an ATTN: Austin519 in the A/V forum...take care.