Amp Installation in 99 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 07:38 PM
DESI miern

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Amp Installation in 99 TL

Im installing an amp in my 99 TL and needed some help....I know how to take the side panels on the side off to run the power wire, but right there where you pop the hood, I cant take that part off and how do I get to the grommet?.....I dont know how to take the back seat out either.......Im going to run the remote wire to the ACC fuse on the drivers side what do I do just take the fuse out and put the wire in and then put the fuse back?.....Also where do I hook the line output converter in bcuz im hooking this up to stock head unit....help needed.....plz reply back...thanks

Amish
Old 02-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Welcome to the Forum!

Everything you're asking has been covered in depth and done by lots of TL owners.

Click on the FAQ button on your left for instructions, tips and answers. Also try a Search - also on the left- for amp wiring and seat removal. You'll find what you need - if not ask again.
Old 02-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Banned

NoLimitDeC:
Let's see here...

"Im installing an amp in my 99 TL and needed some help....I know how to take the side panels on the side off to run the power wire, but right there where you pop the hood, I cant take that part off and how do I get to the grommet?"

Okay first off you have to remove all your other trim...door sills I mean. Once you do that you should be able to pull the kickpanel off (that houses the hood lever) by pulling the bottom of it in toward the car and upward...As for the grommet, there should be two. You want the lower one. Reach down quite a bit and you will feel a cluster of wires running into it. Use a small, sharp knife or razor, and cut a slit in it. Work the knife into it, until you get a sizeable hole for the wire, though not too big, you want it to seal around the wire. If you need to put some hand soap on the knife blade and it will work into the rubber easier, but don't get it on the handle and slip and cut yourself. Once you cut the hole soap up the grommet and edge of the wire and push it through from the outside. Then go up underneath...there is a metal plate separating the area with the pedals and that with the e-brake. You want to push your hand up on the right side (side with the pedals) of the plate, but up against the plate, then tilt your arm about 30 degrees left and feel for the grommet once you're at the top."

".....I dont know how to take the back seat out either..."

This is a former post:
*Remove the rear seats. Butt cushion can be removed by slipping your hand under each side of the cushion and giving it a firm pull. It should pop up and slide right out.

Back cushion. There are 4 bolts holding the seatback in place. One on each side by the rear doors, and two in the center of the car(10mm socket). Once unbolted, move the seatbelts out of the way and pull the cushion up and to you, it should slide out easily.

A note to you NoLimitDeC, make sure to take the bottom cushion off first, and put it back on last.

"Im going to run the remote wire to the ACC fuse on the drivers side what do I do just take the fuse out and put the wire in and then put the fuse back?"

That is correct...but you have to make sure you're on the correct side of that fuse. You want to be on the back end of the fuse (the tail) because if you're on the head, and short the remote wire out...you have no protection. So make sure to wire it in on the tail end of the fuse. Wrap the wire around the fuse tooth if possible for a good connection.

".....Also where do I hook the line output converter in bcuz im hooking this up to stock head unit....help needed.....plz reply back...thanks"

Well depends. You just running an amp for subs? If so, you'd hook it into the wires leading into the stock sub.

Need anything else let me know,

Austin519
Old 02-17-2002, 12:19 AM
DESI miern

I found that grommet, but im using 0 gauge wire and it seems like its going to be impossible to get it through there....also would i need to take the seat back out also or just the seat butt?.....email me back or talk to me on aim....thanx

Amish
Old 02-17-2002, 05:59 AM
Banned

NoLimitDeC:
Yeah using 0 gauge wire you're going to have a fun time doing it...but it can be done. I have done similar. You're just going to have to cut a large hole...very large. To reach the amp you have to take the seat butt out...then the back. It's on the right side of the car. Why by the way are you using 0 gauge...what system are you running?

Austin519
Old 02-17-2002, 09:56 PM
DESI miern

Im using 0 gauge becuase my amp says it requires it.....the amp is a MTX81000D and im running 2 12inch kicker L5s with that amp.....btw thanx for all your help....I really don't wanna go thru all that trouble of installing it...I think ill just let BestBuy do it....plus they gaurantee their work and install the LOC from the head unit....peace

Amish
Old 02-17-2002, 11:35 PM
Banned

NoLimitDeC:
I suggest a custom stereo shop instead of Best Buy...nothing but bad things from them...even though they're cheaper.

Austin519