Amp Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 12:57 AM
7th Gear

Amp Info

Don't want to bring up old stuff ... but ... I modified my system back in 2005 using the instructions below ... I installed an Alpine MRV-F540 amp ... I take it this is an unbalanced amp (is this correct?) ... I do have some noise ... what would I need to do to "fix" my current setup? Add some type of interface? Change to a different amp such as the JL300/4 (is this a balanced amp?) I don't want to re-wire anything so keep that in mind when offering suggestions ... Andy

(print and give to install shop)

Verified instructions on using the preamp outputs of the Acura TSX.

Most installers haven't come across an OEM head unit like this, and most haven't seemed to believe the car owner that this can be done - so here's a writeup for you explaning that...

THIS IN-DASH CD CHANGER HEAD UNIT HAS 4 NORMAL PREAMP OUTPUTS!

It does NOT have RCAs on it, but the electrical signal is the same - it is not any funky balanced or DC-clamped signal or anything like that. It's a normal single-ended RCA signal without the RCA plugs. These wires have been tested with an oscilloscope. The output is the exact same level as a non-4V head unit.

The head unit also has NO equalization - flat response from 20-20k at any volume. In short, it's a great head unit, and many amps have been added to it with no noise and great sound quality. It''s actually very easy to do - so don't make it harder by ignoring this info and having to re-do your work, OK?

NO LOC's ARE NEEDED!

LOC's will add noise, both engine noise and background hiss. This is bad.

However, we have seen some engine noise if the mid/highs amp gain is raised very high. In these cases we have seen a line driver installed in the OEM amp location mentioned below solve the problem.

(IF YOU ADD A GLI FOR ANY REASON, DO NOT SET IT NEAR THE AIRBAG ECU IN THE FRONT CONSOLE AREA, IT IS A KNOWN NOISE EMITTER! The coil inside your GLI will pick up noise here! Also, do not set passive speaker xovers near this ECU)

Instructions:

Pull pocket and console around shifter. The OEM amp is a black box with a 20-pin harness and a 14-pin harness (it has "Made By Pioneer" on the bottom.) The 14-pin has a usable Remote Turn-On wire and the wires you need for RCAs. The 20-pin has speaker wires.

Take 2 1M to 2F RCA "Y" adapters. Chop the Male ends off. Strip back the outer insulation 1". Wrap the shield into a strand away from the center dielectric. Strip back the center dielectric 1/2". Now connect these directly to the wires below:

(Note: Each - is across form each + in the plug)

Right Front:
B4, Blue + (center of RCA)
B7 Red - (shield of RCA)

Left Front:
B1 Red/Blue + (center of RCA)
B8 Yellow - (shield of RCA)

Right Rear:
B6 Lt Green + (center of RCA)
B13 Purple - (shield of RCA)

Left Rear:
B3 Blue + (center of RCA)
B10 Pink - (shield of RCA)

B7 Yellow/Green is the 12V Remote Turn On wire. It can safely run two amps. Do not short it out, it also powers the FM amp in the C pllar (but it is powered with sources other than FM, don't worry).

B2 Brown/Yellow, B9 Gray/Blue, B5 Brown, and B12 Gray are extra shield grounds that are grounded inside the amp. You probably should ground them (although it doesn't seem to make any difference.)

Here's a wiring diagram:
http://www.shinzu.com/tsx/images/repair/tsxaudio2.jpg

(The author is a veteran of the 12V industry of almost two decades. He has been the manager of tech support for a major 12V manufacturer, he helped write the MECP tests, and he has written numerous articles for Car Audio and Mobile Electronics magazines. None of that means he's right about this... but he is.)

Last edited by Mader67; 06-21-2008 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-21-2008 | 01:13 AM
Need more room in

Mercman here on the board made a custom amp bypass harness . You could pick up one of his harness's, and one of his BALUN's, and keep your unbalanced Alpine. Or just pick up his harness, and run it with the 300/4 (balanced)

I would recommend a Zapco amp or Audison amp over the JL. Though a bit more pricey, build quality is far superior
Old 06-25-2008 | 10:44 AM
Instructor

will this work for a 03 tl-s
Old 06-29-2009 | 06:17 PM
5th Gear

very helpful thread, thanks!